Thread: My dogs symptoms worsening even though on Vetoryl

Default My dogs symptoms worsening even though on Vetoryl

Hi my dog a 12yo male bichon who weighs 22lb was diagnosed last year 8/19. It was confirmed pituitary induced Cushings after doing a sonogram to confirm. His symptoms were excessive drinking, hunger and would wake up mostly middle of night shaking and panting he did not have accidents in the house but the shaking and panting, pacing were most bothersome. He was put on vetoryl 30mgs. Seemed to reduce hunger and drinking. We have been monitoring and under control. This past week on two separate occasions he was up alll night panting shaking pacing like I have never seen before I even gave him Xanax and did not help. We bumped up amount to 40mgs and again last night same thing except now he is whimpering. We did blood work and liver enzymes are increasing over last few months. We found a nodule/tumor on liver when we did the sonogram but very small and we did recheck six month later no change in size. I give him cbd oil and have him on high protein diet I even have him on adrenal support supplement. I don’t know what else to do

Default Re: My dogs symptoms worsening even though on Vetoryl

Hi and welcome...did you do an ACTH test before it was increased to 40? If so, what were the numbers? If not, I wouldn't give him anymore until you do.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hello and welcome from me, too, although I’m surely sorry your boy is having such a tough time right now. I do understand why you’re anxious to try anything possible to help him, but I agree with Joan and must caution you against increasing his Vetoryl unless your vet has instructed you to do so based on very recent cortisol monitoring results. Right now it’s unclear as to what’s causing these nighttime issues, but if he is overdosed on Vetoryl, that has the potential to make things much, much worse.

In that vein, it’ll help us a lot if you can give us the actual numbers for any recent lab work, including his monitoring cortisol blood test/s (presumably an ACTH stimulation test). For his ACTH, we need the two cortisol levels (pre- and post- stimulation). For other bloodwork, we just need any readings that are too high or too low, along with the normal range for that particular lab value. This information will be an important starting point as we try to help you sort things out.

Thanks in advance for this info, and once again, welcome to you and your little boy!

Marianne

Yes I would never increase dosage unless approved by my vet. I understand that overdosing can be fatal. I am seeing my vet this afternoon and will get my previous ACTH numbers we have done about 3 of those so far. I was just wanted to see if there were any other options that may be used or other medications that worked better than Vetoryl.

Thank you
    Aileen