Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Default Re: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Our state leaders need to be making the hard decisions, if they haven't already. CA has thousands of people out of work. The unemployemt web-sites have overloaded and crashed. I personally know of several people who have lost their jobs. It is so bad, that there is now a government mandate in effect that forbids forclosues and evictions, due to inability to pay mortgages and rent. That is just the tip of the iceberg.

Food is hard to find. Supplies are even harder. I donated several boxes of Poise pads and Depend undegarments because the nursing homes can not get these essential supplies. I think my mom would have approved of that donation. There were tons of them left after she died, which no one was using. I am glad they are going to good use. Having said all this, due to the restrictions in place, losses and cases are much lower than they would have been otherwise. Medical facilities are still operational, although stretched beyond their capacity. So yes, tight restrictions and enforcement are necessary. We are no longer free to go where we want, when we want. We are no longer free to do what we want beyond the confines our own homes and property. However, we are saving lives, which is what counts right now. No age group is immune. A 25 year old with no pre-existing condtions died in a local hospital yesterday. We have 6 week old infant whose has come down with the virus. Yes, seniors, or others who have pre-existing conditions are more likely to die from this disease, but there are others, many others, who are dying too.

Marianne, I have been watching the pandemic state maps, as far as statistics and numbers. You are absolutely right! I am no scientist, but according to the data, Georgia is headed for real trouble. Just because people think that the virus isn't there yet, they are wrong. It is in every city, town and country in the world, except for Antarctica. It could even be there now for all I know. So if you have a governor who is dragging his/her feet and not protecting you the best they can by setting restrictions, take it upon yourself to self isolate. Stay at home as much as possible, going out for essential needs only. Those who are essential workers, protect yourself by maintaining a 6 foot social distance, if you possibly can. Wash you hands often for twenty seconds and use hand sanitizer when soap and water is unavailable. If you don't already have hand sanitizer, there may not be any to be found. In that case, peroxide or rubbing alcohol will work. They do dry out your hands, so be sure to moisturize.

As far as toilet paper.... If you have had to creative, due to the unavailability of toilet paper, pleae do not flush any other paper products, wipes, etc., in the toilet. As gross as this may sound, trash them. These things often clog sewer lines and septic systems. just be careful, when you are using a substitute for TP.

New York has stepped up and are doing a phenomenal job dealing with this crisis, under dire circumstances. Many lives have been lost, with many more dying, yet they are still fighting with everything they have to save lives. They are putting themselves at great risk to help others without crucial supplies. That is my definition of heros. Let's learn from them. Thank you all for what you do everyday. Here's to the heros who continue to help others in all parts of the world.
    Be smart to stay safe.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 03-28-2020 at 03:11 PM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Glad to hear some of yours are coming up, Lori! Some of mine are as well. I am hoping the ones that haven't broken ground aren't supposed to just yet.

Marianne, glad you got at least that small measure of reprieve! How petty of your neighbors to be doing such at any time but especially now. People who are concerned with appearances get on my last nerve.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Well I haven't visited for a while but wanted to check in to see that everyone was safe and coping with the many challenges. My condolences to those who've lost people.

Where we are in Canada we aren't on lockdown however all but essential businesses have closed with restaurants offering take-out / delivery. Interestingly our dog groomer is still operating so Henry has had a much needed haircut. Good thing I can just tie my hair back! OH is working from home and is also the one going to the grocery store as I spent pretty much all of December and February with a variety of colds, only just really recovering at the beginning of March. He's made about 3 trips over the last few weeks and has yet to see TP or sanitiser. I'm not sure if it's because of our location but we've always had periods where items are out of stock, like the time we visited about 20 stores and none of them had toilet brushes (this was many years ago) so tend to buy items in bulk when they're on offer, so we have a large box of rice and a couple of bags of pasta. I also bulk buy Henry's food from the US and fortunately had a trip at the beginning of March so have enough for about 2 months, but will have to make plans for alternatives if this continues beyond that timeframe. I'm so upset to read that companies like Chewy have increased their prices - I will certainly remember that for the future. Our vet is offering a couple of services and will do rabies vaccinations but no others so I'm not sure how that's going to work as they are due in a few months time. Initially people were thinking life would be back to normal after 14 days then a month, and now who knows. I'm scared of making plans because I don't know when it will end, or how life will look at that time.

We are able to go out providing we practice social distancing, so last weekend we took a trip to a beach that we often visit in the winter because it's always been deserted, until now!!! The parking lot was full, cars were parked along the road, and the beach was over-run, so we just drove past. Absolutely unbelievable, and of course now all of the local and provincial parks are closed, so we walk Henry round the yard and play with him indoors.

OH's Mother passed away at the beginning of March but the funeral wasn't until mid-March and in the end he had to take the extremely difficult decision to not go. Fortunately his brother lived near his mother and was able to organize everything. A number of other relatives we unable to go because they were high risk - so sad.
    Last edited by mcdavis; 03-30-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Well, I don't know if any of us can really be prepared for what lies ahead. CA remains under a stay at home/lockdown order indefinitly. All time lines have been removed. Covid-19 cases/deaths continue to multiply daily. CA's escalation is on the same course that has hit New York so fiercely. Only a very few essential sevices are open. I can practically count them on one hand. No public gatherings of any size are allowed. Social distancing requirements of 6 feet are being enforced. Beaches, parks, playgrounds, etc., have all been closed. All CA citzens are being encouraged to stay home. People are now attending church on-line from their own homes. This is just the beginning. There is a long haul ahead.

Post your updates when you can.

Same here...now we're being told to put something over our faces whenever we have to go out. Doesn't have to be a mask, but a scarf or something. My sister was tested this past Monday, but won't get results for another week. She's banished to the basement, but had been taking care of our mother, who is bedridden with Alzheimers, before that. She had also been at my daughter's about 11 days ago and I was there as well. Hoping we don't get it, if she does have it, but also worried about Josh who is at high risk.

My son is going crazy all by himself about an hour away from us. He is also in the high risk group and is afraid to go out of his house. He didn't run and get any gloves, masks or sanitizers before this got so bad, so he's very nervous. Plus he has bouts of depression and being cooped up all by himself is not good. I am very worried about him and as soon as my sister gets her results, if negative, I'm going to take a ride out there and bring him some food and supplies, even if I have to drop them off by his front door and just talk to him from outside.

The only upside for me is that I don't have to commute to the city. I like working from home. I like being able to be here with my doggies. I will have to make a decision if I still have my job when this is all over because I do not want to go back to the city. For two years I worried every day about terrorist attacks, and here it came in another form.

I listen to Cuomo and Fauci every day. Cuomo calms me and I trust Dr. Fauci. Jess met Dr. Fauci at the NIH on one of Josh's visits there a few years ago. He's a good man who knows his stuff.

So as my governor says, this is the new normal for as long as it takes; there will be a new normal when this is over; we will learn from this; and appreciate the little things that we took for granted before.

I know I will....
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Mac it is really good to hear from you again tho I wish the circumstances were better. It is just a tough time for us all and made worse by situations like the one your hubby had to face. I can only imagine the added heart ache that brought and am just so sorry for you both. I am so glad you have each other during this tho. Speaking of hubbys....I saw a meme on FB that had two women talking. One said to the other, "I thought you said your husband was in the back yard. I didn't see him." To which the other replied, "Well, you may have to dig a little." Keep your spirits up and know we are here anytime you feel the need to reach out and chat a bit.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Yes Joan, we are now being told to cover our faces/nose and mouth also. A state mandate went into effect at 12:00AM this morning. All essential working personnel are required to cover their faces in public. This includes banks, stores, gas stations, drive thru and take out restuarants, etc. As of now, the general public is ENCOURAGED to cover, but not mandated as of yet. Yes, they are suggesting that the public use something they have at home, such as a scarf to cover, leaving medical masks for our first responders and hospitals. Stay smart to stay safe.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 04-03-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Today our Governor has asked everyone to wear a mask of some kind while in public, he said if a regular mask is not available than to wear a bandanna or home-made one.

Early this morning I went to the grocery store and it wasn't that crowded, people were distancing themselves. The grocery store had yellow lines on the floor at the check-outs showing where you should stand and the people were obeying them. I got enough stuff to last me at least 2 weeks, praying that this ends soon.

California publc schools will remain closed for the remainder of the school year! Distance Learning will proceed. Meals will be available for pickup at various sites. Sack lunch, along with breakfast for the next morning will be provided Monday thru Friday. This will continue thru the last day of school in June.

CA has been on a strict stay at home order since March 16th. After three weeks, Californians seem to be getting used to their new normal. Most are complying now, thanks to the $1000 fine/6 months in jail citations. Law enforcement are patrolling heavily. It is bizarre seeing video of empty freeways and beaches. Even venturing out for essentials, is weird with such empty roads.

The saga continues. Stay smart to stay safe.

I saw that meme Lesley, and shared it with OH

We are still not in lockdown however they are recommending people stay home as much as possible. There's no guidance about masks, scarves, etc. and on the odd trip we've made I haven't seen anyone covering their mouths. It's a bit confusing as they also say we can go out for exercise providing we maintain social distancing, so of course we see kids out playing and don't know if they are living in the same house. Schools announced early last week that they were closed for the rest of the school year.

Scary pictures from China today, where they have ended lockdown and one tourist hotspot reported reaching their daily limit of 20,000 people before 8am