Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Default Re: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

I am excited to see that vaccines are starting to spread throughout the country, and some of you have been able to get at least your first shot!
    I hope you're finally feeling better Leslie.
    Yes Marianne, I will continue to be careful. Thanks for caring.
    Spring Break gives me a chance to catch up much needed maintenance and chores that I don't normally have time (or energy) for. Dad's taxes are now done and I donated two cars to charity which were picked up yesterday and today. I'm marking off my list, which is calming to see things done and out of the way. Still can't do much here. We are finally in the red tier, so some things are opening at reduced capacity, but I'm still going out only for essentials and work, except for a haircut. Marianne reminded that I wouldn't be fully vaccinated until two weeks after my second dose. That won't be for another week. So, I'm staying the course. The school year, such as it is, is winding down. I only have about seven weeks left after spring break before summer break. This is my 29th year. This has been the weirdest school year ever!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Bumping up!!! How are you all doing?
    CA is looking pretty good right now! Covid new infection rates are down to 0.4 - 0.6%. As of June 1, 2021, 70% of adults in CA have been at least partially vaccinated. That's pretty amazing considering our diverse population. It is the most populated state in the US, so I am thrilled with that! We have finally mostly opened up. Masks are no longer required for the fully vaccinated. This is based on the honor system, so obviously it is not enforceable. Masks are still required for all inside of hospitals, schools, etc. Businesses can enforce their own mask mandates, so masks are still sporadic here. I feel really weird venturing out without either a mask, or shield. I am comfortable being outside unmasked. Inside, around others is another matter.

I am now on a much needed Summer Break. I'm not sure what the Covid protocol will be when I return in August. It is changing daily. My school district confers with several agencies on this matter with CDPH (California Department of Public Health) taking the lead. Since the Delta variant is now surging and affects more children, it's unlikely that our protocol will change much, even for the fully vaccinated. Staff needs to set an example. If we aren't wearing masks, the kids see that and think they aren't necessary. New school guidance hasn't been released as of yet. It's a wait and see. Right now, I'm home, unmasked and thrilled about that. It has been a very intensely stressful year for all!

Dad and I are both doing well. I have had numerous close contacts, and yet stayed well. Dad just turned 90 a few days ago and still trucking along. He has many issues, but who doesn't?

Take care all and update us when you can.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 06-24-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Hey Kathy! So good to read your update and to hear that, everything considered, things are going pretty darn well out there :-)))). Here in Georgia, unfortunately our vaccination rate is lower rather than higher. But thus far, regardless, we've managed to dodge the bullet and our infection rate is still going down. What with the introduction of the new Delta variant, our progress may not hold. But at the moment, the positivity rate in my county is around 1%, and it's around 2% statewide. So you've got us beat in CA, but we're still doing much better than I might have predicted given our lower vaccination rate.

For better or worse given that lower rate, all of the statewide emergency orders will end in a couple of weeks. Where I live, a significant number of people are still voluntarily masking inside stores and businesses (myself included). But the number is declining daily. I still don't feel comfortable with inside dining, but we are patio dining with friends and enjoying in-home dinners once again. All in all, the atmosphere is certainly far less restrictive. Since I spent so much time at home even pre-pandemic, honestly, my daily routine hasn't changed all that much over the past year. But it is a relief to feel a lot less vulnerable on those occasions when I *am* out and about. And if and when a booster shot ends up being recommended, you best believe that I'll be stepping right up for that extra security.

Anyway, congrats to your dad in celebration of his birthday! And congrats to you for keeping your dad as safe and healthy as possible ;-). Enjoy your summer break -- you surely deserve it!!!

Marianne

We're doing good here on Long Island, too. We are both fully vaccinated, so is Jess, Sigi and Jeremy. Josh gets his first shot on Saturday...he's nervous because he heard that a 12 year old had some heart trouble, but we're getting it for him anyway. Alex is still too young. Some places are maskless if you're fully vaccinated, honor roll also, but others are still enforcing the masks, which is fine with me. I will wear one if I have to. Outside I don't wear one. We won't eat inside a restaurant yet either, but since Victor still doesn't have much of an appetite and has trouble eating, we don't go out to eat anyway. I'll go with the kids...

It is starting to feel normal again. I would like to start taking the boys on excursions the way we used to...

Happy that our Cushing's family seems to be doing okay!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Unhappy Re: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Hello! I hope you have all been able to stay safe and healthy. I'm beginning to think that this pandemic will out live me! CA's positivity rates have gone from 1% to 5% within the past few weeks and there is no stopping the rise. The Delta Variant has completely taken over and is responsible for our recent surge. LA has returned to mandatory masks indoors, whether vaccinated or not. My county is still allowing for fully vaccinated people to go unmasked indoors as of now. Unfortunately, this is all on the honor system and we all know how well that works! I am continuing to wear my shield indoors. I do feel comfortable going unmasked outside. My county generally follows LA within a few weeks. That means that indoor masks for all will probably be resuming again very soon. I am not going to get into why we are having this surge because it is political and is the same nation wide. You all know.

School/Work resumes in three weeks. It appears that masks will be required for all, vaccinated or not. I work in a K-8 school. The majority of our students are too young to be vaccinated. There is no way to know how many who are old enough actually have been. Same holds true for staff. Getting vaccinated is a personal choice. It is encouraged, but not required.

I will be getting a booster shot as soon as they become available.

That's my Covid update, such as it is! Protect yourselves and take care....

Hey there, Kathy. Thanks so much for the update and I’m so glad you’re still safe and well. If I’m counting right,you’re now only two weeks away from school starting back, and I’m guessing that time will go fast. Here in Atlanta we’re in pretty much the same boat as you guys, except our vaccination rate is even lower :-(((. Aside from private in-home get-togethers with vaccinated friends, though, hubby and I had never quit wearing our masks while interacting indoors with others. So in a sense, nothing has really changed much for us. Prior to Delta, we had been thinking wistfully about traveling to visit vaccinated family and friends, but now we’re pulling back from that idea, too, until another booster rolls around.

So I know I’m really boring because I don’t have anything new in my life to talk about. But right now, I guess “boring” is actually a good thing…

Good luck heading back to classes!
    Marianne

Hi Marianne, it’s so good to hear from you! Your update is not at all boring. It appears safe, and that’s what we want for all! Yes, the south eastern states are lagging behind on vaccinations. They have significantly picked up the last few weeks. I hope the trend continues.

You are correct. I return to work in 10 days. I did not retire because I didn’t want last year to be my last. I want to go out on a normal year. One where I have had the opportunity to thoroughly enjoy my kids. With variants surging, this may be the new normal. I hate to think of that! I am sick of all the protocol. I do realize that it is still necessary right now. It just makes everything that much harder.

I will be turning 65 in another month. I will finally be considered a senior and be able to be first in line to get a booster when they come out. Supposedly they are going to be starting with seniors first. They are already doing boosters in Israel, so it’s probably just a matter of time.

Stay safe and let us know how you are doing. Hearing that someone is safe and doing well is awesome news, never boring. Until next time…

Hi all! So here is my COVID update. I am going to try really hard not to get political, by just stating the facts. Here in CA, Governor Gavin Newsom has overwhelmingly survived the recall and all Covid restrictions and protocol remains in effect.

Booster shots received the final approval on Friday morning (9/24). I went and got my shot that very day, right after work. I had pre-planned knowing exactly where to go. I figured that I'd jump in before the word got out to all. It worked! That is the good news! I got REALLY sick with the booster, knocked flat for over three days. High fever 102-103, body aches making it difficult to move, loss of appetite, nausea, fatigue, etc. You name it. I probably had it. Today is Tuesday. My fever has broken and my symptoms are finally fading away. I am out on Covid leave. It covers Covid related symptoms, as well as reaction to the vaccines. Since I had symptoms for more than 72 hours, I require another negative Covid test to return, and 24 hours symptom free. I've lost count as to how many tests I have had by now. All negative, by some miracle, so far. So, I went and got another test this morning. Results are due in 24-48 hours. That's at least one, or two more days at home. My symptoms have to be resolved also, and they aren't quite yet.

I am still working. It is my 30th year. I have a delightful class this year. Dad is still plugging along at 90.

Please do not let my booster ordeal stop anyone from getting their shot. I would do it again in a minute. I receive repeated exposure in the classroom and need the protection that a booster can provide.

We'd love to read your Covid upate! Hope that everyone has remained safe, healthy and happy. Take care.

As always, so good to get your update, Kathy! So sorry to hear your booster knocked you for a loop, but I agree 100% that I’ll take the vaccine side effects over the disease itself, any day. Hubby and I got Moderna originally, and we’re anxiously awaiting general approval for the Moderna booster since we’re now eight months “out” since our original vaccination. If I can manage it, I’ll be the first in line just as soon as we get the green light. We did feel pretty crappy for 36 hours after our second jab, so I asked our local pharmacist what the reaction to the Moderna booster has been thus far. She said that she hasn’t heard any particularly negative feedback, but she said that may also be because largely only immunocompromised people are approved for Moderna boosters right now, and so their immune systems may just not be mounting a big response to the booster itself. So in reality, your “big” response may be a good thing — it may mean your immune system will now be loaded for bear if/when you do get exposed!

No other big news from our side of the country. COVID cases are going down, thankfully, probably due to the combination of vaccination and also the large number of unvaccinated folks in our area who have already gotten sick (Spoiler alert: I’d rather stay in the first group…). As I wrote in an earlier note, probably no news is good news from our household, though. Can’t believe it’s already October and time to put up the Halloween decorations!! Right now, I have no idea whether kids in our neighborhood will be trick-or-treating door-to-door this year. If I’m successfully boostered by the end of the month, I’d probably feel fine about holding out my candy dish at the door, especially since I can be legitimately masked in some way as part of a costume ;-). But if parents are still feeling worried, my card table on the driveway with baggies of candy actually worked great last year. I had luminaries and my Jack o’ lanterns out there, too, and I could sit on my front steps and wave. So either way, I think we’ll be fine.

OK, that’s it for now. But once again, great to hear from you and to know that you’ve got a good class this year and that your Dad is still hanging in there. I know you’re so grateful for both.

Marianne

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hey Kathy,
    No major updates from our neck of the woods - we are in the decline of variant cases here. I too got the Moderna Marianne, and interesting comments from my doctors and several of my nurse friends ... I was very sick after the first shot for about a week and half but the second shot did not bother me at all. Reasoning behind this is according the doctor, nurses and even the health dept drs I spoke with is because I already had been exposed to COVID early on. Hope this means double protection - So Kathy this may your case too. Keep well and very glad to hear your dad is going strong
    Terry