Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Default Re: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Hi everybody, just checking in once again to see how you all are doing. Absolutely *nothing* is different in my neck of the woods, so my own post will be quite boring. Oh, I do have one bit of good news: my sweetie doggie Luna celebrated her 12th birthday yesterday . Neither Barkis nor Peg made it to that milestone, so her Dad and I are feeling very lucky and grateful this weekend. Her walks are now only very short, very leisurely strolls. But she still loves them, and I treasure every single one of them, too.

Aside from that, it’s same-old, same-old here. COVID cases are down a bit, but still too high to feel as though community spread is yet under any real control. So we remain hunkered down in our house except for really necessary errands. My hair is now long enough that I can at least corral it into a ponytail. I bought a set of vari-colored scrunchies at the grocery store today, and felt as though that was my big fashion statement for the summer!

Ah well, we’ve now survived for five months like this — hopefully there’ll be some good news about a vaccine or treatment in another 5-6 months. Fingers crossed, that’s for sure!

Marianne

Before the pandemic hit, I started growing out a pony tail with the intention to get it long enough to donate to use for wigs. They tell me gray hair in in demand. That requires at least 7" of hair. The pony tail is now past my shoulder blades! There is a collection of scrunchies, clips of various sizes, barrettes, and other implements of hair containment in my bathroom. I have stared longingly at my dog clippers more than one I promise, going so far as to take them outside one day and plug them in but I restrained myself with considerable effort! I cannot wait to get this mess cut off and I will never grow it out again. Since we aren't supposed to touch our faces I started cutting off the hairs that were too short to contain but long enough to get on my face making me want to brush it away so now I have a halo of short gray hair around my face. LOL So I've added some old fashioned hair bands and kerchiefs to hold that down. Always a fashionista!

I've been out of the house more in the last 5 weeks than in the whole time since March. Dentists, doctors, and PT....and I can tell you I am on pins and needles waiting for 30 days to pass when I don't have to see one or the other! If I could find and afford a hazmat suit to wear to those appointments I would gratefully. As it is I wear mask, gloves, and face shield and hold my breath when they get close if at all possible. Hard to do with a dentist let me tell you! I am so looking forward to the time when I can isolate once again.

Like you, Marianne, I am praying for a viable vaccine soon. Hopefully everyone will be able to get one that will work at least as well as the flu vaccines do so that if we do get the virus it won't be as hard on us. Be nice to have one that simply makes the risk next to nothing but I will take anything for now. As we learn more hopefully we will have better weapons to use against it.

Happiest of Birthdays to our sweet Luna! I can only imagine how blessed you and her dad feel to have her reach this milestone. I pray she is with you for a long time yet to come!

Ya'll take care!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I have 37 monarch caterpillars in their chrysalis, they should be eclosing within the next week, these are the super-migrators and will be the ones that fly the whole way to Mexico to roost.

My niece decided to cyberschool Misty, which I believe is best, Misty likes having school at home as she is a momma's baby! It's 5 hours long, her school day starts at 8:45am with breaks in between plus homework.

Not much else going on, hope everyone is safe and well.

Hugs, Lori

Hey there, Lori! OK, so we need an update on your butterflies :-) Surely hoping they all stayed well.

Also, Kathy, how have things worked out for your students? Are you back in the classroom?

And we'd love to hear from everybody else, too. *I'd* especially love to hear, because my life is still so self-contained -- nothing has changed here at all, and one day just blends into the next, into the next, into the next...

Marianne

Hello All, I hope this finds you all well and happy. Marianne, so glad to hear that you have kept yourself safe. I know you have exchanged your freedom for safety. I imagine you are going pretty stir crazy about now. Thankfully it won't be forever, but it sure feels like it I'm sure.

I haven't reported in a while because frankly I don't have anything happy to report. I am still waiting on Addy's one good thing. Everything just kind of went to hell since mom died the end of December. First there was Covid, then the California wildfires and excessive continued heat. My AC broke down twice in a week. I'm hoping that it is finally fixed now.

Yes, I returned to work at my school site on August 19. We were distance learning only with staff on site, no students. It went surprisingly well. The kids were great and I was enjoying it much more than I thought I would. Maybe that's my one good thing! I also felt relatively safe with Covid protocol in place and only staff on campus. That left me pretty much alone in my classroom, except for one other adult. SDC (Special Day Class - Special Needs) students returned to site full day on September 14th. So all of my kids returned except for 3 who opted out, deciding to continue distance learning for this school year. SDC classes are generally much smaller (12-14 students) verses regular Ed., with as many as 35 per class.These smaller classes allow for social distancing, so SDC came back full day. The remainder of the students (regular Ed.) returned last week on 9-28 in the AM, PM hybrid mode. Half the kids at a time, teaching double sessions. So we now have all the kids back on campus but most half day.

So how is it going for me. I can't go into much detail because of confidentiality issues. I will say that I felt much safer while on distance learning. A huge chunk of my day is swallowed up by COVID protocol. Temperature checks, hand sanitizer, hand washing stations, keeping masks on students and myself etc... The list goes on and on. I know this protocol is necessary. I just wish we had stayed on distance-learning until there wasn't so much of it needed. I consider retiring EVERY SINGLE DAY! I didn't sign up for any of this! I have a real breathing issue with masks. I have to wear one all day. With poor air quality due to wildfires and excessive heat, I come home most days with heat exhaustion. It will get better. I know that. It will be cooling down soon. There will be a vaccine eventually. I am healthy so far and just keep pushing on. Aside from work, I am still going out only for essential needs.

Stay safe everyone!

That's about it for now...
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 10-03-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Hey Kathy, thanks so much for the update. I had read it right when you posted it and intended to reply right away, but now here it is, almost a week later...

You'd think that being holed up in my house all the time, I'd be incredibly efficient re: following up on my "to-do" checklist. *WRONG*!!!!! If anything, I'm even less productive than pre-COVID. Nobody comes to visit, so does it really matter if the dust bunnies grow into a herd?? Tomorrow will look pretty much like today, so why not take a nap (or two) instead of organizing that pantry?? I can probably get another day or two out of wearing that same sweatshirt -- why rush with the laundry??? It's a really weird dynamic -- there's very little urgency to the tasks of any given day, and yet the weeks really do roll around quickly. Seems as though I've just brought the dumpster in from the curb when it's time to haul it back out again. Life in the time of COVID. Very strange.

ANYHOO, I was so glad to read your update, although I do worry about your work exposure. I know you're staying as safe as you possibly can, and how lucky your students are to have you in the classroom with them. I've definitely got my fingers crossed that you'll continue to remain safe, and that all the combined conditions in California will improve as we head farther into the fall.

Continue to take good care, and check back in with us whenever you're able.
    Marianne

I've released 51 Monarchs this year and still have 11 in chrysalis, these 11 are very late in the season and I'm worried that when they eclose the weather will be too cold for their release. We've been having temps in the high 60's and 70's and if this keeps up they'll be fine so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that this will be the case when those late bloomers eclose.

Marianne, I remember you were thinking about growing milkweed, what did you guys decide?

Hey Lori, yes, I was considering trying to grow some in containers a while back. But I honestly never see any monarchs around Atlanta at all. Actually, sadly, very few butterflies of any type. So I started wondering whether there was even any point to growing the milkweed. I guess the city must be a pretty hostile environment for the butterflies, what with all the mowing and landscaping chemicals. So I kind of lost heart. I’m so glad to hear you ended up with so many to release again this year, though! That’s much cheerier news, for sure.

If you plant milkweed they may come!!! I hardly ever saw butterflies until I started a butterfly friendly garden. Now swallowtails and monarchs play homage to the flowers I've planted, every year I add a new perennial and next year I plan to make the flower garden larger to accommodate more milkweed, gardening relaxes me even though it can be hard work!

It's good exercise too! It was way too hot and the mosquitoes were horrible this year to get out and do anything. It's finally cooling off and I can sit in my gazebo again. Actually had the electric fireplace on a few times the last few days. I love sitting out there listening to the birds and crickets.

I was laid off on the 22nd, so I am officially a housewife. I have been busy trying out squash recipes, mostly soups. It's nice to be puttering around the kitchen and the house smells so good while they are simmering on the stove. Gable and Cooper love the roasted squashes, so I make extra just for them to snack on. I've also been making pies. They love apples, peaches and plums, too. I may not be bringing in any money, but like to think we are saving on buying lunches and dinners...

For the first time in years I won't have to kill myself getting ready for the holidays. They will be a lot quieter this year. My sister and her family will be moving to South Carolina in November, so it will probably be just my kids and grandkids this year. Hopefully we can avoid the second wave if there is one...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.