Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Default Re: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

I am SO GLAD you and hubby got the vaccine process started, Marianne! Even tho I have a letter from my oncologist stating that I am high risk I've been told I won't be able to get one until at least AP. So I will stay hunkered down in my isolation for a while yet. But I am really looking forward to feeling a little bit more secure getting out and being able to go to church and be with family and friends. I'm pretty much a loner but this year has been harder on me than I would have ever dreamed. But I have stayed busy crocheting and working on clearing out the woods beside my house. The vines had gotten so thick they formed a curtain preventing any breeze which meant my house was growing mold and algae requiring frequent pressure washing. Plus a critter called a Woolly Aphid took up residence in the thick brush and made my ramp quite hazardous with their slick deposits....and also killing most of the grass on that side of the house. So maybe with the brush cleared out those things will improve. I can't work every day nor for long when I can....my old degenerating spine calls me a dumb broad quite often and very loudly. I answer by spending a day or so in the recliner on a heating pad hooking my yarn. LOL

My digestive issues remain tho not as intense as they were. I am still trying to find the foods that I can eat with the least negative response and the ones I should never even look at. The weight loss continues but at a slower pace than when this first started.

Joan, I pray your hubby does well with his treatments and that they are 100% successful. Five years from now we will celebrate his transition from cancer patient to cancer survivor.

Thankfully my babies are all doing well. Sophie and Tilly had dentals earlier this month and between them they lost 13 teeth! The rescue had told me when I got Tilly that she only had 3 teeth left but they were wrong - NOW she only has 3 left. She was already on soft home-cooked food so there was no issue with her food and Sophie is doing well on soaked kibble....she thinks she really special now! LOL All three got a clean bill of health other than the needed dentals for those two. Tilly's kidneys are still doing great - SDMA of 5! I had been a bit concerned because she has an upset tummy from time to time and doesn't' want to eat but Squirt had those times as well so we carry on when she's ready to eat. Bud's eyes have not gotten worse and for that I am happy. He has proven that old adage that you can't teach an old dog new tricks isn't correct. He has learned to lay down and roll over since we started treating his eyes. He's such a good and smart boy. I don't know what I would have done without them this past year.

I am choosing to be hopeful for the coming year that we will be able to start living our new norms, having learned what is truly most important to each of us and what we are better off without, giving us more fulfilling and meaningful days ahead.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

You sound good and positive, Leslie! So glad that you and your babies are doing well. I have been thinking of taking up my crocheting again. I haven't done any in 12 years and it might give me something to keep my mind off of all of this. I made baby blankets for everyone but my own grandsons. I still can't figure out why I just could not make one when Jess was pregnant with Josh, and of course now I regret it. They have three cats now, so I wouldn't even bother...maybe hats. We'll see...

My husband said a ratio of a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid to one cup of water in a spray bottle should get rid of them, maybe not right away, might take a few treatments.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Marianne, so glad you and hubby were able to get your first round of shots but sorry your arm hurt afterwards And hopefully Luna will be feeling much better soon.

Joan, I'll be keeping you and your hubby in my thoughts and prayers. I've been wondering how Gable was doing so thanks for the update and hopefully soon he'll feel like his "ole" self.

Leslie, sending positive thoughts and energy your way, fingers crossed that you'll find food that agrees with your gut. Also, happy to hear that your furkids are doing well, SDMA of 5!!! WooHoo!!!!

I'm doing good, I'm a homebody so staying at home is fine with me. I've started a ton of seeds indoors for those monarchs and am so hoping for a plentiful migration this year! Jax turned 2 years old Feb 26th and he has quite the personality!! Loves his ball and knows it by name, he'll go find it when I ask him to and he'll even drop it on my lap so I don't have to bend down. He's not quite the lap-dog I hoped for but I love him so much. He just hates when I trim his rear end and growls at me the whole time I'm doing it but when I'm done he's so happy and loves on me as if he's saying his sorry for all his fussin!! Misty's Dad bought her a phone for Christmas, I think she's way to young for it but that's just my opinion! She does call me and send text so that part is really nice!!

Hope everyone stays safe and well!!!

Hugs, Lori

Well, I am finally back with good news to report regarding Southern California. Although we are still in the purple tier, our numbers and hospitalizations are dropping rapidly. We now have approximately 30% ICU capacity. This is an enormous improvement as our ICUs were at zero capacity for several weeks. Paramedics can now take those in need to the hospital, rather than making them comfortable and letting them just die at home, due to lack of space. we are starting to see a light at the end of a very long tunnel.

I have been working full day with students on-site since September 19. I have had to quarantine several times and have tested regularly. Many others have dropped like flies around me, but by some miracle I have stayed well. I was finally able to get my first Covid vaccine last Saturday. K-12 Education has been made a priority. 10% of California's federal vaccine supply has been earmarked for Education. Another 10% of our county's supply has also added to that. So now 20% of all vaccines are going to school staff. We are now being vaccinated very quickly. This is all happening to provide a push to getting all students back in school on site. The majority of our school districts here remain on distance learning. My district provided families with the choice of in person instuction, or distance learning this year. The majority of our students have returned to school. SDC (Special Day Classes) returned full day on September 19. The rest of our students attend a AM/PM hybrid model. They did not return until January. Our SDC classes contain less students, so we are able to properly socially distance. This is not the case for our regular education classes. That is the reason for the hybrid model. Half the students at a time allows for that distancing. Although I was very leery at first, it has worked well with mitigation efforts in place. That is a closed campus with only staff and students in attendance, 6 foot social distancing, plexiglass barriers on single desks, hundred percent mask compliance, continuous sanitizing, handwashing stations, testing and tracing, small cohorts of students who remain together all day. etc. There is very strict protocol that must be followed by all, such as no mixing of cohorts ar any time. We all pretty much bathe in hand sanitizer all day! However, my district has managed to remain open. We have had many class closures, including mine due to forced quarantines. In that case, the quarantine classes go back on distance-learning for that period of time, then return to school.

As for Dad, he is continuing to do well. Very lost since mom died, but remains healthy for someone who's about to turn 90 in a few months. He has been able to get both of his vaccines, which has reduced my stress. My main fear was taking the virus home to him and losing him too. I will be getting my second dose on the first day of my spring break. That actually works quite well. If I get any reaction, I'll have two weeks to recover before returning to work. By the way, no symptoms from the first shot. Not even any arm soreness, which was expected. I have heard that more reactions occur after the second dose. Dad got pretty sick for a couple of days following his second dose. He got the Moderna vaccine. I got the Pfizer vaccine.

That's pretty much my update for now. I was determined not to post again on this thread until I had some good news to report. Most of my previous posts have been dismal at best. I hope this finds you all happy and healthy. Stay safe and post your updates when you are able. I'd like to hear how all of you are doing.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 03-03-2021 at 11:31 PM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Hey Kathy, it’s great to see you back here, and especially with your good news. WHEW!!!

Hubby and I recently got our second shots, and I felt like dancing a jig afterwards. I was so grateful and relieved. We got Moderna vaccine, and definitely had a more intense reaction to the second shot. Very sore arms, mild fever, fatigue, achiness. But it only lasted for a day. By the second morning afterwards, I woke up feeling great. I’ve heard that more folks may be reacting strongly to Moderna than Pfizer, I guess because the Moderna dosage is somewhat higher. But regardless, one day of feeling crappy is a tiny price to pay for the protection.

Yesterday marked two weeks after our second shot, so we now officially qualify as being fully vaccinated. Given our age and the fact that Moderna may be a bit less effective among older adults, most aspects of our life will remain unchanged for now, though, especially until we all get a handle on the new risk of variants. We’ll still be generally masking, social distancing, and holding off on restaurant dining. But we’ve finally scheduled our haircuts and dental cleanings, I feel safe enough to go to the grocery store at any time of day as opposed to the crack of dawn, and I plan to in-store shop for some new jeans. I know that jeans with ripped out knees can be stylish, but still...;-)

We’ll soon have a small cadre of friends who are all vaccinated, too, so the huge decision will be how comfortable we feel about finally getting together again *without* masks. I’m waiting for the CDC guidance to come out about that. That first maskless encounter, whenever it comes, will probably be a mixture of both joy and anxiety for me. As much as I want to get together, I’ve become so hyper vigilant about distancing that I imagine it will take some time to feel like it’s OK! I’ve actually had dreams now where I freak out in the middle of them when I realize that people are talking close to me without masks. Seriously. IN MY DREAMS!

But overall, I feel so lucky to have gotten vaccinated this early. And I’m so glad to hear that you will soon be protected, too. Good grief, our teachers are so deserving!!!

Continue to stay safe, and hopefully now you’ll feel like coming back here even more often. We’ve missed you!!!

Got the second COVID shot yesterday, Pfizer, and it has hit me hard. Fever, aches, scratchy throat, stiff muscles, sore arm, no energy at all, headache. So I will be in the bed til this passes. BUT don't let this discourage anyone!! It is well worth feeling like crap for a few days so I don't get this virus. Over all the physical negatives I feel very grateful, excited, and free again. So if you haven't had your vaccine - go get it 'er done, as the feller used to say.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Getting my 1st Pfizer shot on April 5th! My son had bad side effects from both of the Pfizer shots, but was prepared for the second which didn't hit him as hard...lots of fluids the day before and day of (pedialyte, etc.), tylenol on hand, heating pad or cooling (can't remember which one) for the arm, and antihistimine morning of. Took the day after off and stayed in bed.

My daughter just had a sore arm; son-in-law had a sore arm and was a little achey. I'm a little nervous since I have to take care of hubby, so arranged mine during a week where so far he has no treatment appointments. After I get mine done, then we'll set him up.

So definitely stay in bed, Leslie and YAHOO for you that you are now covered!

Love,
    Joan
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

It is probably best to expect some kind of reaction after the second shot. That is pretty much the way it has gone for most of the staff at work. Symptoms have varied, but most have had a stronger reaction to the second one. I had my second Pfizer vaccination this past Thursday morning. Initially, I felt fine afterward, except for some arm soreness, which ice and Tylenol quickly relieved. I went to work Friday morning feeling rather cocky. Prancing around like the shot was no big deal. By Friday night, I was down with chills, muscle aches in places I didn’t know I had muscles, pounding arm, Nausea, headache, and a general crappy feeling. Dehydration was a huge part of it. That lasted for about 24 hours, then symptoms started to abate. Dehydration continued for another 24 hours. I couldn’t seem to hydrate enough, even though I was drinking Gatorade and a hydration solution. This is Monday morning and I’m feeling Ready to take on the world, as I start my two week spring break. Finally got my haircut yesterday. Was determined not to cut it until after I was fully vaccinated. Get your shots as soon as you can. A few days of discomfort is worth saving your life and saving your loved ones.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 03-22-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Hey Kathy, I’m sooooooooo relieved to hear you’ve gotten your second shot! One word of caution, though, which you probably already know about...but you need to wait for two weeks *after* your second shot before your immunity has built up to full vaccination status. My family has learned this the hard way :-((((. An elderly relative was just two days short of getting her second Pfizer shot when she unexpectedly turned up COVID positive. She remained asymptomatic for 10 days, but then suddenly crashed with pneumonia and mental confusion. At first, we didn’t think she would make it. However, she did stay out of the hospital and is now rebounding. We’re thinking the first shot probably saved her life, but wasn’t enough to confer the strongest immunity. So after experiencing that, hubby and I definitely made sure to not let our guard down at all until two full weeks after our own second shots.

So do enjoy your spring break, but still be careful and by the time it’s over, you’ll truly be fully vaccinated. YAY!!!

Marianne the Worry-Wart

Today I am starting to feel almost human again! Still quite tired and my arm is still a little sore, which surprises me. I expected that to be the first thing to get back to normal. Yesterday morning I thought it was over but after about an hour I knew that was wishful thinking.

Thinking back I think my first sign that a reaction was happening was feeling lightheaded which started a few hours after the second shot. And I am wondering if my stubbornness didn't play a part in this reaction. What most folk say, tho none of the nurses who gave the shots repeated this, is to go home after the shot and take it easy, stay hydrated and take Tylenol or Advil if needed. Wellllll, I went grocery shopping right after then went home and after unloading and putting the groceries away I changed clothes and went out to a field I walk to dig up plants which I brought home and transplanted. But I did drink lots and lots of water throughout. So for the 6 hours following the injection I was quite busy. If the dizzy feeling hadn't started I would have done more. It was such a stunningly gorgeous day I simply could not waste it!

But I do think the worst is over now. I plan to take it easy today tho....I'm still hurting but not much worse than normal and it's not that deep achy pain but enough to let me know to not overdo. I have felt every minute of my 66 years the last two days and do.not.like.it.one.bit.
    Last edited by Squirt's Mom; 03-23-2021 at 09:33 AM.