Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Default Re: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Life continues pretty much as usual for me. I lived fairly isolated before COVID but I do miss my infrequent visits with friends and family....and REALLY miss going out to eat! I love to grab a good book and go do that but haven't been in a restaurant since March and don't know when I will again. Probably not until there is a viable vaccine at least. Most of my groceries are either via online order/pickup or delivery but on rare occasions I do go to the store. These times have become my big adventures. LOL But the last month I have been almost incapacitated by diverticulitis - a hell I don't wish on anyone! I dearly love food, as my waistline will attest to, but am learning that food is now my enemy. A liquid diet seems to be where I am going to be staying for a while because every time I try to add something solid the cost is just too high. So it's liquid or full liquid for now. What I wouldn't give for some Sushi!

Since my family is of the faction that believes COVID is a big ole hoax that will disappear on Nov 4, I will be spending the holidays alone this year. It won't be the first time but this year my oldest grandson turned 19 and I know his days at home are numbered so I will miss being together with them more because of that.

The dogs are doing fine and as always help bring meaning to my little world. I don't see may coons these day; my troop has all died I guess. There was one female that came around this spring for a while and I think she was one of the kits from that troop. I had hoped she would bring her kits around and there would be coons around again but it didn't happen. From time to time I see signs at the water bowl some have been there and I hear them in the woods at night often but they don't come out to visit. I miss them terribly. But I still believe Squirt sent Mama that spring because she knew her time was close and that I would need Mama and her buddies for a while.

I pray always that we all remain well and safe in our new normal and that one day things can return to a semblence of what we used to call normal in the near future. Take care of yourselves, please.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I pray always that we all remain well and safe in our new normal and that one day things can return to a semblence of what we used to call normal in the near future. Take care of yourselves, please.
    I want to restate Leslie’s prayer. With the explosive growth of COVID cases throughout our country, it’s hard to know what the future will hold. Everything is just the same in my house; nothing at all has changed. We enjoyed a surprisingly fun Halloween, which I wrote about on our “In Loving Memory” subforum. Aside from that, we’ve still seen no friends nor family since March, and continue to cocoon in hopes of avoiding the virus. I’m so hoping the rest of our K9C family remains safe, as well.

Marianne

I swear! Dogs are gonna be the end of me! A few weeks ago a gorgeous Alaskan Husky showed up in my neighborhood and you-know-who got a leash on him and proceeded to try to find his home. My friend and neighbor walked miles with me asking folk if they recognized him with no luck. So she took him home with her (because Bud was being a huge butt for some reason) and I posted him on Facebook and the Neighborhood forums. Two days later, on Monday, my neighbor's niece, who lives on the other side of her, told us the dog belonged to a friend of hers....the friend had posted on FB asking for help in finding her baby. YAY! His home was found! So the niece and my neighbor were going to take him home. I went down to the niece's house to help load him in her car. Thinking only about the dog and getting him back home I forgot to put my mask on....none of us remembered to mask up. After some struggles, which mean being almost face to face several times, we got that big handsome boy loaded and on his way back home.

Two days later my neighbor called to tell me we had been exposed by the niece. She and her boyfriend had gone to a wedding that same weekend that the dog showed up. 25 people had attended....you know, that "limited" number of people for a gathering? One of the bridesmaids had a "bad cold" but just had to go and be there for her friend. The niece said everyone took off their masks for pictures and at the reception. The day after the wedding the girl with the "bad cold" was in the hospital with COVID. All 25 people at that "limited" affair ended up with COVID because of this young lady's "cold". Two remain on a ventilator. Thankfully my neighbor and I tested negative on two tests and only had to endure a quarantine which ended 4 days ago.

Meanwhile all my doctor appointments during that 14 day period had to be rescheduled starting yesterday. Over those 14 days ARK's numbers have started climbing at a frightening rate with no end anticipated which means I, and my neighbor who also has health issues, have to get out in public during the worst time in our state so far. I want to blame that young lady for putting her desires above the welfare of others but the fault actually lies with me and that blooming dog!

I am very very grateful I didn't get sick!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

OMG Leslie, I’m so glad you didn’t get sick, either!!!!!!!!!!

<SIGH> If only people would realize that wearing a mask and social distancing are acts of compassion and generosity to protect *others* who may be more vulnerable and at risk. Even though they may not be worried about themselves, if only they would carry concern in their hearts for others...

Oh well. As far as your dog-wrangling, though, you’ve made me realize I probably always ought to be carrying a mask in my pocket, myself, at all times when I’m walking Luna. I always walk in very low traffic areas and distance myself from anybody we encounter. So I haven’t been taking a mask along with us outdoors. But heck, somebody else might need emergency help, or I could trip and fall, myself. And it would be so important for me to have a mask to put on then. So lesson learned, and thank you very much!

On a lighter note, I recently read a Twitter exchange that made me laugh. Can’t remember who it was, so I can’t credit them for the humor. But this is how it went:

First person (Asking quite seriously): “Given all we’ve been through this past year, if your 2020 self could go back in time and give some words of wisdom to your 2019 self to help prepare for what’s to come, what would you say?”

Second person: “Buy lots of toilet paper.”

And in my mind, that perfectly summarizes the surreal year that 2020 has been for us all!!!!!

Well, I wish I had some good news to report regarding COVID-19 in California. That is not in the cards right now. The virus is surging like a wildfire in CA, and we know them well! CA has been divided in 5 regions. Once the capacity of ICU beds dip below 15%, that region will be placed on a stay at home order. I live in Southern CA. My region is now at 13.1% capacity, which means that we are the first to receive the order. It goes into effect at 12:59 PM today. Most businesses will close, as before. However schools with a waiver will remain open following the guidance of CDPH (California Department of Public health). It is too dangerous to allow people to gather in any capacity and to enforce a stay at home order, yet it is okay for schools to stay open for in person instruction with precautions in place. Since I am a staff member in one of these schools, I have to be careful what I put out on any kind of public forum. I will just say that there is COVID-19 circulating through schools, as it is everywhere else. Each day is beyond stressful, as that is the day that I might bring it home. I am being tested regularly and have remained virus free up through my last test. At this point who knows, until my next test. I am hoping that we end up going back on distance learning, at least for now. I know that help is finally on the way with vaccines getting approved in record time, but not soon enough. People are dying in record numbers, which keep going up and up. Yes, kids need to be in school for so many reasons. Yes, they are far less likely to become seriously ill than adults. No one disputes this! That's what we all want. Doing this in the midst of a surge is incredibly risky for those adults, particularly older staff members, and those with pre-existing conditions. They also risk taking it home to vulnerable family members who are unlikely to fare as well.
    To sum all of this up… Covid sucks!
    I realize that many of you may be suffering due to this global relentless pandemic! Please be careful and try to stay as safe as you possibly can because HELP IS ON THE WAY!!!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

The inevitable has happened. I am now in a 14 day quarantine. I am a close contact in two positive cases from work so far. I was already in quarantine when I got word of the second case. My quarantine started again yesterday and goes until The 30th. I remain symptom free so far. Will be testing on the 26th, unless symptoms surface sooner. They have found that testing is being done too early resulting in false negatives. So, symptom free, testing is recommended 7-10 days after exposure. This directive comes from the CDPH ( California department of public health), which oversee the Covid cases that occur in schools.

Southern CA is experiencing very high hospitalizations. LA has run out of ICU hospital beds. Other emergencies, not Covid related are not able to get care because all beds have been ultilized for Covid. Heart Attacks, strokes, car accident and other emergencies are unlikely to get timely care, which will result in even more unnecessary suffering and deaths. We are on shutdown here with only essential businesses open. With our population so large (more than 40 million people)this situation was expected to occur. That doesn't make it any easier right now. Healthy health care workers are in very short supply and vaccines are extremely limited for now.

I am fine for now. Waiting out my quarantine through Christmas and beyond. December 20th is the one year anninversary since my Mom died. There is a lot happening. Trying to stay safe and keep Dad safe too. I hope you all are too! Check in and let us know how you are all holding up.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 12-18-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Oh Kathy,
    I just saw a headline about how devastated the hospitals are in CA and thought of you so came here and saw your post. How hard for you to be going through this and I hope you remain symptom free. There has been some talk from the CDC about cutting quarantine to 10 days if you remain symptom free.
    It all feels inevitable somehow, I agree and I know I need to tread carefully so will only say, it is upsetting because the outcome of the virus did not need to be this way and leave it at that.
    Stay strong, Kathy. It will all turn out ok. Do you know when you can expect your vaccine?
    Keep us updated.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Yes Addy, I totally agree with your quote below. I will also leave it at that!

Thank you so much for coming here to check on me. It warms my heartthinking that you saw a bleak report concerning CA and thought of me. Unfortunately, those hospitalization/ICU reports are true. CA has purchased thousands of body bags and has dozens of refrigerated storage units on standby as it prepares to deal with a growing death toll from COVID-19. 60 53-foot long refrigerated units ready for counties and hospitals are a sobering statistic.

Dad and I are wearing masks whenever we have to be in the same room. He is practically deaf, so I have to write everything out on a white board for him. Staying apart all the time is difficult, but we are managing. My main fear about contnuing to work was the possibility of bringing the virus home to Dad. Now I am living that possibility. I started my winter break in quarantine which will last most of my break. I am still hoping that my district will close to in person learning and go back on distance learning until numbers improve dramatically. If it doesn't, I am afraid that more quarantines will happen and my risks will compound with each quarantine. I never would have thought that going to work would cause so much anxiety.

So thinking of my one good thing. Addy's mantra.... Dad is still with me and we are both doing well for now. We are so much better off than millions of families suffering due to this pandemic.

Remain strong EVERYONE!!!
    PS.. No Addy, I have no idea when I will be able to get the vaccine, but it won't come soon enough!

Originally Posted by addy
    it is upsetting because the outcome of the virus did not need to be this way and leave it at that.

Last edited by Budsters Mom; 12-19-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Gosh Kathy, I’m so sorry to read that you’ve been exposed, but keeping my fingers crossed that with each day that passes, you remain symptom-free!! What a weird and upsetting situation for us all to have the hope of the vaccine dangling in the distance like a carrot on a stick at the same time that we’re trying to dodge the contagion. My county issues really detailed COVID statistics down to the zip code, and for some reason, my suburban zip code is literally exploding with cases right now. Almost the worst in the entire extensive metro area. Why, I wonder?? Could it be related to the fact that the streets of my subdivision were packed with visiting cars on Thanksgiving?? I just dunno what people are thinking. Seriously. I shudder to think how much worse Christmas will make things. You better believe that the instant I have the chance to be vaccinated, my sleeve will be rolled up.

Anyway, I’ll surely be hoping that you and your dad stay well. I know this Christmas would have been a challenge for you, anyway, regardless of COVID. It will be for us, too. It’s really hard to be cooped up in the house without my mom here alongside us. I’m trying to keep up with at least some of our little rituals, but I really wish we could have just gone away to the mountains again like we did last year. There’s such a hole in the house here. But at least we’ve managed to stay safe so far. And I certainly shouldn’t say “at least” because staying safe is *huge.* Hoping that the same remains true for you, your dad, and the rest of our K9C family!

(And BTW, I love seeing Elf Buddy reappearing as your avatar — that’s definitely my one good thing to start out this chilly December morning :-)))))))

This is so scary, and it did not have to get to this point. When I see these morons saying how it's their right NOT to wear masks, I just want to scream. How can people be so utterly STUPID?? The schools are still open here, but my grandsons are doing virtual. Josh can not be exposed. Even if we get the vaccines here, he can't get it...not until they find out it's safe for kids with CGD. It is mind-boggling and embarrassing that this is happening in the United States in this day and age!

So far here on Long Island, things are not bad. Seeing masks has become the norm. Josh says he can't even remember not wearing one. What a way for our children to grow up...Hubby and I have been in and out of hospitals and doctors' offices for weeks now and I am surprised that neither one of us has come down with it. I just hope we can get some answers on what kind of cancer he has and how it's to be treated before it gets bad here and we won't be able to get any kind of treatment. He is supposed to start chemo on Tuesday at Northwell, but we got a call from Memorial Sloan Kettering yesterday and they don't want him to start until we've seen a doctor from there. They feel we should be using them. They are the gurus of cancer, so we have a telehealth call set up for Monday...we'll see what they say. I'm not cancelling the chemo yet. I was googling until late last night and found some information that I hadn't seen yet and I'm not sure Northwell has a real handle on it. From what I read it is a lot worse than we are being told, and I think they have been way too slow in testing. If his doctor had paid attention way back over the summer, I think he would not be in the shape he is now with pain and increasing symptoms, not to mention that the symptoms are getting worse. If either one of us get Covid now, I don't know what we'll do.

I have no Christmas spirit...my tree is not finished, the house is not decorated, I just wish we could go back to last year.

Okay, I'm done venting...I got myself a Grinch mask for Christmas. I love it!

Please be safe, dear friends. And I hope you have a Merry Christmas in spite of the awful mess we are in.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.