Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Default Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

As you prepare for possible quarantine due to the Corona Virus outbreak, please remember to provide for you pets. They will need at least a few weeks of food and medication etc. I live in Southern California. Panic has set in here. Food has flown off the shelves, with very little of anything remaining. There are no staples of any kind left. No rice, beans, etc. Bottled water, toilet paper, paper towels, baby wipes, Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer can not be found anywhere. Lines are very long at the grocery stores. People are grabbing whatever is left. It is practically impossible to get into Costco. You may not be experiencing these shortages yet. The higher the population, the bigger the panic and the bigger the need. However, being as prepared as possible is crucial.

So, it is particularly important to provide for your pet during this difficult time globally. Pets with special dietary needs and allergies are especially vulnerable. My dog's specialty food is only available at one store locally. There are at least six other pet stores closer to me. Non of them carry it. I went out yesterday to pick up dog food, since I am running low. I was not going out on a mission to stock up. It was just time to pick up a bag. There was none left. Many shelves were empty. The manager called thru to four other stores before a bag was located. Please remember your fur babies as you continue to prepare for this current emergency,

I hope all of you and your fur babies remain well and strong throughout this global pandemic.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 03-15-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Default Re: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Kathy, thank you so much for posting this. The same thing has happened here in Atlanta over the last couple of days. The shift has been dramatic. As of the first of last week, supplies were beginning to be snapped up. By yesterday, it was panic-buying. I’d been trying to think of the things that hubby and I needed most, but suddenly thought about Luna and her dogfood! Yikes! That hadn’t occurred to me yet. I’ve got enough left for a couple of weeks, but I’d best try to track down some ASAP.

To all our worldwide K9C family, please stay as safe and well as possible!!

Some of you may have seen this poem elsewhere. It is going viral right now (no pun included!), and with good reason. But I want to share it with all our family. For everyone, worldwide, who is struggling right now with the ramifications of “social distancing,” what a healing perspective this poem offers to us as we care for ourselves, and as we care for one another, in these challenging times.

Pandemic

What if you thought of it
    as the Jews consider the Sabbath—
    the most sacred of times?
    Cease from travel.
    Cease from buying and selling.
    Give up, just for now,
    on trying to make the world
    different than it is.
    Sing. Pray. Touch only those
    to whom you commit your life.
    Center down.

And when your body has become still,
    reach out with your heart.
    Know that we are connected
    in ways that are terrifying and beautiful.
    (You could hardly deny it now.)
    Know that our lives
    are in one another’s hands.
    (Surely, that has come clear.)
    Do not reach out your hands.
    Reach out your heart.
    Reach out your words.
    Reach out all the tendrils
    of compassion that move, invisibly,
    where we cannot touch.

Promise this world your love–
    for better or for worse,
    in sickness and in health,
    so long as we all shall live.

–Lynn Ungar 3/11/20

http://www.lynnungar.com/

Beautiful!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Same here on Long Island...crazy. Tomorrow I hope to stock up on the dogs meds and food. Didn't think of that either...

My company has told us we can all work from home. So far only one case at the WeWork office where I work. I take four trains a day. How I have avoided it this far is astounding.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

If you get your dog food on an automatic ship - check the pricing before it arrives. The dog food I am using for Bud and Sophie doubled in one week both on Chewy and Amazon. They were running low when I ordered last week and was only able to get a small bag so I checked to see if the larger bags were in yet and they were....at twice the usual price.

Of the 7 people in my office only myself and one other believe the virus is real. This is all a hoax, hype, fake news, yada yada yada. (My SIL told me the same thing.) Yesterday I went in to finish a project before isolating myself since I am high risk and 3 people are there in our small office coughing their heads off...one admits she has fever and feels like crap. As I was leaving after finishing my project one of our clients who is an RN at our local hospital came in wearing a mask and gloves. She stopped just inside the door and asked everyone in the reception area to stay at least 6' away. Our receptionist, who does not believe and was one who was coughing, asked if she was sick and the woman said no but she wasn't taking any chances since she is working in the hospital on the front lines. She went on to tell us that what we are being told is false - that there are many many more cases of the virus in our state, county, and town than the official count claims which is 22. Our receptionist laughed but grabbed her hand sanitizer. My boss and the other two ladies who were in the area looked like this woman had just told them the world was ending in 5 minutes. All of a sudden it became real. Meanwhile all the coughing has spread who knows what to who knows how many people...they all went out to eat together at lunch and were talking about all the places they had been and the people they had been around over the weekend. I don't understand and don't think I ever will.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

It will be heartbreaking when any of these women watch a vulnerable loved one succomb to Corona, and they must then forever wonder whether they’re the one who directly passed the contagion on in their foolishness. That’s a guilt and a burden that I would not want to carry for the rest of my own days.

Stay safe, Leslie!

Well, if it is all a hoax, it is a very well orchestrated one. The USA is headed toward a countrywide lockdown. It is being taken very seriously. In my community, we are now on a partial lockdown. That means bars that don’t sell food, Adult establishments, and restaurants have been closed for in house dining. As of now restaurants are still open for pick up and drive thru service. Many people do not understand the scope of our current Emergency. Here, we have been notified that there are not enough hospital beds or services for those who currently have the coronavirus here in town. Services have already been stretched beyond their limits and everyone is being told to stay home and try to self treat. Only severe cases are being seen at the hospital. Those involving labored breathing, chest pain and bluish lips. There may not be help available for other emergencies such as heart attacks and strokes etc. those people who are not taking this seriously, by taking the proper precautions, are putting everyone at risk, which is selfish. I am dealing with that with a family member right now, which is infuriating. We are not supposed to get political on this forum, so I realize that this post may be deleted. In the meantime, I am asking that we all pull together as a family and do everything we can to see that our global family stays as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Stay smart to stay safe.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

I am asking that we all pull together as a family and do everything we can to see that our global family stays as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Stay smart to stay safe.
    Kathy, you’re right that we discourage political statements or confrontations here. But I don’t take your message to be political. Instead, you’re reporting on the conditions in your area, as well as encouraging us to join together for the welfare of all. I surely don’t see anything wrong with that, and I join you in your plea!

I hope we can keep this thread open as a lifeline for all our members. A safe place to come to talk, to report, to vent, to comfort. And yes, to worry together. There’s no way we can help but worry. But sometimes giving voice to the worry can also mobilize our strength to plod onward. One day at a time. I’m afraid this is going to be an awfully long haul for the entire world. But yep, we’re definitely all in this together!

Idiots! Putting everyone at risk like that...it is real, it is dangerous, and we are in trouble. My son-in-law got laid off on Tuesday. Now Jess is the only one working and doesn't make enough to pay the bills. Just try to apply for unemployment...there are so many trying that the system can't handle it. They've been trying for four days now to apply online, whenever they call, they are told the system is down and to try later. I don't know how much longer I'll have a job...my division is not essential to ETS, and now that the schools are all closed our coaches can't get in to work, which is how we get our money.

Jeremy finally got the go-ahead to work from home at Stony Brook this week. He's been at the school this whole time with kids who we all know don't think anything can happen to them. And he's in the high risk group. I'm afraid to go see Josh, or my mother who is bedridden with the final stages of Alzheimers.

It's not good...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.