Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping in to say hi...

Red face Dropping in to say hi...

It's been quite a while since I last dropped in....could be several years ago, I have no clue But after all these years, from the day I came here first...and I also don't remember when that was, till this Saturday evening and beyond, this is where my Cukie (Boncuk), my Sogno, my Yunah and my Mhina are.... And this is where I found comfort, knowledge, understanding without words, encouragement, a sense of family and togetherness, where I roflmao'ed and shed tears. And because of all of the above and more...I just wanted to drop in and say hi

Saskia and Quincy
    Last edited by SasAndYunah; 10-16-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Default Re: Dropping in to say hi...

Omigish Sas, you’re here!!!!!! I’m sooooooooooooooo glad to see you!!

I’ll come back later to write more, but had to quickly welcome you back!!

I’m doin’ the happy dance here, for sure!

Much love from Marianne and Luna

Marianne yippie....so glad to see you But like you, I'll come back later to write more, it's been passed midnight here. I'll leave the dancing to you for now, I'll be doing the happy dreams instead....

Till soon

Sas and Quincy

Sundag morning...a better time to reply

First off, it's so great to see the forum is still doing what it already did so many, many years ago. There still is a huge need for all the info and support that can be found here for those with a cushpup And it's great to still see many familiar faces/names And all the familiar dog faces from the past...so many of them that remain here, in a way

About us. We're doing as well as we can be doing I'll be turning 61 in a few days and Quincy is 10. We have had the most amazing years together, she has been with me through everything, my parents final years, the carehomes, the dementia stages their passing and their funerals...Quincy was there every step of the way But also, years of so much fun together, activities, long walks in the woods, years of Hoopers classes together, and more recently years of growing older together Quincy is the happiest, funniest, almost the smartest (no dag can beat Yunah in that area ) , most playfull, loving and loyal dog ever She matches Yunah in every way...except one. Yunah was very, very serious, she took her tasks so seriously and was dedicated to her tasks only. Quincy does her tasks equally well but not from being seriously invested in her tasks but she does them with sheer joy and when a task is finished, she merily goes her own way
    Unfortunately she has develloped a few health issues. From the beginning she was already severely atopic but we have been able to manage her skin/itchy/inflammation issues very wel thankfully A few years ago, she develloped epilepsie, it started slowly with one seizure a year but the number of seizures increased and so she is on Phenoral now and doing reasonably well Not seizure free but a lot less I am glad to say. And then last year, she started to drag her right hindleg, stumbled every now and then...a bit clumsy, one could say Of to the neurologist we went...the same one who saw Boncuk, Yunah and Mhina, we're old friends by now Anyway, Quincy was turned inside out, blooddtests, mri, etc. Good news, she was perfectly fine, he told me that when he looked at Quincy's mri images, it was as if he was looking at a two year old dog No joint issues whatsoever. No tear and wear to be seen, not even the slightest But, there were definate issues like responding late with her hindlegs, some muscleloss in her hindquartes...and that let him to conclude that she may possibly have DM, degenerative myelopathie. But this can only be found post mortum so it's a possible diagnosis by excluding all other possibilities. It's been a year, since that "diagnosis" and she drags her hindlegs, stumbles with front- and hindlegs, slips and slides, falls sometimes, she has developed a heartmurmur (grade three), she has a low heartbeat and her breathing rate is low. So, she is deteriating slowly but still happy and doing her job Her choice...she doesn't have to but she still comes running (and sliding and slipping) when she hears something dropping to the floor... She loves her job All in all, we're both pretty tired, laying on bed a lot (very, very cozy ) go for our walks with Quincy mostly on my lap enjoying the smells and sights or hanging out in the backyard We're two old ladies and in all honesty, it's enjoyable that we're both, kind of, in the same stage of life It's calm, it's peaceful and it's cozy

All our best and big hugs,

Sas and Quincy

Oh Sas, I can’t tell you how great it is to hear from you! Thanks so much for all your kind words about the forum. We’re trying our best to remain helpful, but the truth is that we have very little activity here these days. It seems that the Facebook groups are more appealing to many folks, as opposed to message boards like K9C. As a result, we’re not getting much new traffic. And understandably, many of our old friends have departed over time, as they’ve proceeded along new paths that no longer involve Cushing’s. As you see, though, there are still a few of us old dinosaurs left here ;-). And that’s why it’s *such* a joy when dear friends — like you — return to us!

I simply cannot believe that Quincy can be 10. No way! I’m so very sorry to hear about her new issues. But without a doubt, it sounds as though her life remains lovingly “dog-worthy.” I’ll never forget that you’re the one who introduced that word to us. It is so meaningful to me, and I have used it here often while talking with members about difficult decisions to be made. It is personally so meaningful to me right now. My lovely little Luna just turned 14 in August. She has grown so very fragile due to mobility issues, as well. She is quite arthritic in all her limbs, and just like Peg before her, I fear it will be her hind-end weakness that ends up taking her away from us. We’ve installed a ramp that permits her to head out into the yard for a few short circuits each day. She loves going out to sniff and saunter around, even if only briefly. She is eating acceptably, is sleeping soundly, doesn’t appear to be in frank pain, wags her tail whenever we’re around her, and still seems to be glad to be living in this world. However, I know this all can change at a moment’s notice, so in honesty, there’s a part of me that’s always a bit on edge these days. But I don’t want to spoil the remaining time we have together, even for a minute. So I try really hard not to dwell on my worries.

The aging process is definitely taking a toll on me though, too, with creaky joints and a new appreciation for afternoon naps! So like for you and Quincy, life has slowed down in our household, as well. We remained very socially isolated during the first year of COVID, and have yet to resume many of the activities or travels that we took for granted prior to the pandemic. In a way, though, at least Luna has benefited because she is really never alone at any time for more than just a few hours. My husband has been working from home since February 2020, and Luna loves having her dad around 24/7 now!

My own social isolation over the last couple of years is undoubtedly one reason why this forum has remained an important outlet for me, personally. I have so many memories of all the dogs and parents who have joined us here over time. And as I say, I hope we’re still able to do some good for anybody who is needing a sounding board or some support. So Sas, please continue to stay in touch, and please give Quincy an enormous hug from her Auntie Marianne!

We're growing old, eh... And yet, still here we are And indeed, these days, information is much more available everywhere than it was 15 - 20 years ago when I was struggling with Cukie's Cushings. But nothing beats the human contact, the experience, the sharing and caring and being there for each other, in my opinion. But I'm probably "old school"

I see that these days, one can post a video on here, as I notice the page is auto-saving your text All the pages we have typed...and lost before we could post them, hahahaha.... New technologies can be so useful at times

Let me try and post a video of Quincy...see if I can make it happen

Just a happy little dog

I will try my best to be around a bit more often...cause I do miss you and, as you mentioned, the memories of all the people and dogs that we've shared the forum with

All my best and hugs,

Sas and Quincy

Oh the video is wonderful!!!

I’m so technologically challenged I had no idea you could even upload videos like this to our site! (When I say I’m a dinosaur, you can see I’m serious…)

What a sweet spirit is little Quincy, and what a dear companion. You brightened my whole day by sharing this, Sas — thank you so much!

So glad you liked the video...there is a lot more from where it came from I could go on endlessly, with even some very old Cukie video's, Sogno video's, Mhina video's en Yunah video's

It's fall here and today was just a glorious day. with sunshine, blue skies and the beautiful changing colours of the leafs And since Quincy can't walk that long anymore, and since I missed being outdoors, I have taken up a new hobby...gathering trash We drive around the countryside, Quincy on my lap, a bucket between my feet and one of those "arms" to grab the garbage with, which I then drop in the bucket. It's a win-win situation, it's helping keeping the environment clean and Quincy and I get to spend a lovely time together outdoors It's the little things like this that give me huge pleassure... And perhaps, walking into a dinosaur

For now, all my best and hugs,

Sas and Quincy

Speaking of dinosaurs...

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Saskia!!!!!! I cannot tell you how happy I was to see your thread and posts!!!! I was thinking of you just the other day my friend!!!!
    Looks like you are still having adventures even on your lap.
    Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images