Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Default Re: Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

Hello Ladies. So happy to hear that you are well. So much to report here. I have no idea where to start, so I guess I'll start at the the beginning. The last I reported California was still in a total lockdown. The virus has continued to wreck havoc on many communities, but mine was pretty much spared until recently. Enough so, that we were able to open up just a bit and I was actually able to get a haircut (with guidelines in place) a few weeks ago. That was so weird! That has all changed now. The virus is now running rampant across most of the state, including my community. I would not be able to get a haircut now. Hospitals are once again filling rapidly, including intensive care units. Our state is more prepared than it was before. We now have plenty of ventilators and PPE. So that is good! Masks are mandated for the entire state of California when out in public. Social distancing is a way of life here now. I haven't been out much, except for that one haircut and essential items. I did manage to see a friend and visit with her in her backyard, while social distancing. I am on Summer Break from work, which usually means I am flittering around everywhere. I am healthy and safe for now, but have gone a little stir crazy.

I typed out a whole lot more. My iPad froze and I lost it. Hopefully I'll have a chance to continue tomorrow. Stay safe everyone!
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 06-28-2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Well, things are opening up here too. It's a little scary, especially when we are seeing the resurgence in other states that have reopened. My daughter is back to work with all new precautions; she finally got her hair done, too; my son-in-law is working a few days off the books at the bakery; I have ventured out to the bank, but have really not gone anywhere other than the few places i had been going to.

We are going to go to Beni Hana Friday night for Josh's 12th birthday, so that will be an adventure. It's inside dining, so hubby is a little nervous.

Glen Cove has been doing outside street dining for the last couple of weeks. From Thursday through Sunday, they close the street off from 6 - 10pm. We haven't gone yet, but Jess did with their family after spending the afternoon at Jones Beach this past Thursday and said it was fine. I noticed that the train station had about six cars parked there the other day...it's been so weird seeing it empty all these months. I used to have trouble finding a spot!

I heard from a coworker who told me that our office is leaving the WeWork on 7th Avenue and moving to another WeWork in Harlem. I doubt very much that I will be taken back now since they all know I do not do the subway! The LIRR fares have gone up and now I would have to pay more?? Then take a taxi?? NOPE! I just turned 64 and I'll be damned if I am going to kill myself doing all that traveling now, not to mention the risk of getting the virus...

My hubby is going to start going back into his office for a few clients. That will give me some time alone to get things done besides following him around and cleaning up after him...he's such a slob! Plus he thinks I'm his valet...Joan bring me my glasses; my appointment book; could you make me some tea; what's for lunch, dinner; arghhhhhh!! Go back to work!! LOL! Doree will be devastated, all she does is follow him around and sit on his lap all day while he's on the phone. She won't even eat anymore unless he's holding the dish for her...she follows him around the garden while he talks with his earpiece. The good thing is that he's spending more time taking care of the flowers and veggies, which he hasn't had time to do for the past few years. We will have a bumper crop of tomatoes, cukes , hot peppers and eggplants soon! I planted it all and I love watching them produce! And our garden looks awesome with the both of us here tending to it. I've got so many pictures, every day something new opens up. I just love all the plants I bought from the Tipper and Squirt fund raiser!

And of course, my guys are very happy to have me home. Sibbie knows instinctively when I'm getting ready to go out and makes sure I don't go without her! Cooper has been coming out to Jeremy's with us. I had hoped to get him comfortable enough to stay with Jeremy for a few days to keep him company, but that's not going to happen. He has attached himself to me and panics if I leave even to to put the garbage out. Now he wants to come in the car with me and Sibbie all the time, but just bringing him to Coram is nerve wracking. He got carsick on the way out last week, ugh! But he did better this week. He loves Jeremy, but I'm afraid that he won't be happy there. I went out to get something that I left in the car this past Friday and Jeremy said he ran to all the windows to watch me, crying the whole time. Oh well, it was worth a shot. We'll just visit every Friday. Jeremy can't go back to work until the pandemic is over because of his HIV status and he is really lonely. He's afraid to go food shopping, so Thursday I got a list from him and bought him a whole lot of stuff. He has enough to last him for few weeks now.

I wish I could bring Gable too, but with his arthritis as bad as it has gotten, I don't think he can do the stairs at Jeremy's apartment. I feel bad leaving him home, but he does get a nice, quiet, restful day, I think. He's doing good. Still drinking a lot, but manages to go all night without having to go out and pee, so the 5mg is doing something. He doesn't like being out as much as he used to, it's way too hot and humid for him...me too! We venture out when it cools down in the early morning and late afternoons. He's my big, beautiful boy and I am going to keep him as comfortable as I can.

Wow! I guess I really needed to get all this off my chest! LOL! I am happy that we on the forum are all safe! Stay well!

Love,
    Joan
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hello everyone, I hope you are all safe and healthy among this continued pandemic. I am going to TRY very hard not to get political on this post, although it will be very difficult. Istead, I'm here to report on my state of California. The virus is sweeping through my state with record numbers, as it is with many other states. It is referrred to as a flare-up, or hot spot. In reality, it is a forest fire surging out of control with no end in site. California is the most populated state with more than 40,000,000 people. That is a massive amount of fuel for a raging pandemic! Hospitals in the southern part of the state have been stretched beyond capacity and ICU units are overflowing. PPE is running out, once again. Medical professionals are in short supply. All are overworked and many have fallen ill, or have tested positive for Covid. Medical staff is being sent to CA. About 150 people should be arriving soon, or have already arrived. I'm not sure of the exact number.

This all leads me to current restrictions. The entire state has been under the following restrictions for several weeks now. They are a closure of bars, movie theaters, family enertainment, card rooms, zoos and museums. 80% of the state, which include 33 counties (so far) are on the governor's watch. My county is smack dab in the middle of that list. It is a list that you don't want to be on, because that means that the covid cases in your area are rising rapidly. New restrictions for these area go into effect at Midnight (tonight). They are a closure of all indoor dining, barber shops, hair salons, fitness centers, churches and worship centers, offices for non critcal sectors, personal care services and indoor malls. Basically, most indoor businesses that meet the essential guidelines will remain open. The rest will be closed. Outside businesses will remain open for now. If these restrictions don't work to slow the spread of the virus, another total shutdown will be imminent.

There has been a lot of pressure for schools to fully open country wide. Again, I will try to stay away from the politics and just report. The two largest school districts in California are in Los Angeles and San Diego. The have thousands of students to prepare for. The have announced that they will be returning next month via full time distance learning for the time being. Stating safety concerns for staff and students. In California, each individual district will make the determination as to the best way to serve their students. There is not a blanketed state order. I work in a small district. As of now, we are hoping to return to on-site learning. Just what that involves is still being worked out. Of course, that will likely change if Covid cases continue to rise substantially.

As for me, as of now, I'm doing okay, but hate being trapped at home all the time. So much uncertainty is uncomfortable for me. The pandemic rages on. Stay safe my dear family and let us all know how you are doing.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 07-14-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Hi Kathy, and thanks so much for your update although of course I wish the news was better. One day continues to blend into another for me here. We stay in the house except for dog walking, grocery & takeout food runs, flower buying to swap out the dead plants in my windowbox, and brief errands that can’t be avoided. Here in Georgia, we’re experiencing a rapid escalation in cases, as well. I may have mentioned that my neighbor on one side is a respiratory therapist — she’s back to collecting “hazard pay” due to the number of emergency hours and intubations that she has to perform. My neighbor on the other side became ill a couple of weeks ago, and he and an adult daughter have both tested positive. Clearly our suburban “arc” is finally also joining in the uptick in cases that has been plaguing intown Atlanta. So my social distancing rules are being reinforced in my mind daily — aside from hubby, I simply don’t allow myself to come closer than six feet to anybody, anytime. Even chatting for five minutes in my neighborhood. And I wear masks religiously when I’m out and likely to interact with others.

With that in mind, I was stunned this morning to awaken to the news that our governor has now officially forbidden city and county officials from issuing local mask mandates, even in areas where cases are exploding. Actually issued a formal regulation yesterday to that effect. Anybody tempted to move to Georgia right now? No, I didn’t think so. And...I’ll just leave it at that.

I am not sleeping well, undoubtably due to generalized anxiety as to whether/when an end will be in sight. But having said that, I continue to recognize how lucky I am that we have a comfortable home within which to cocoon, and that hubby can continue to work from here. I really have little to complain about, other than dearly missing personal contact with family and friends (and still no haircut!).

Stay well, everybody!

Yes Marianne, I did see your govenor's directive regarding masks, on CNN this morning. Yes, nation wide. What does that tell you? CA is experiencing massive surges, but I think I will stay where I am. We have a state wide mask mandate here. I really have a hard time breathing through them. I feel claustrophobic and lightheaded when I wear one, but I do religiously wear one EVERY TIME I venture out for anything. So many concerns right now. School possibly re-opening, wearing a mask all day, etc. I'm not a kid anymore. I have dad to care for. I could re-tire and not return to work, but I'd hate to go out before I'm ready due to COVID fear. It has been said that students are less vulnerable, don't catch it as easy, and recover faster, with many of them asymptomatic. What about the teachers, aids, cafeteria workers, bus drivers, custodians, all of the adults? What if they have vulnerable family members at home? So many worries. I don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    With that in mind, I was stunned this morning to awaken to the news that our governor has now officially forbidden city and county officials from issuing local mask mandates, even in areas where cases are exploding. Actually issued a formal regulation yesterday to that effect. Anybody tempted to move to Georgia right now? No, I didn’t think so. And...I’ll just leave it at that!

Gosh Kathy, I’d be so conflicted, too, if I were you. I’d really be tossing and turning at night!!

The thing that seems especially scary to me is how much the researchers still don’t know re: potential lasting invisible effects from this virus. I know the consensus is that younger kids don’t seem as vulnerable to catching it or falling visibly ill. But you’re right — what about all the adult teachers and service providers? Plus, I just saw an article yesterday that was speculating about possible lasting brain or pulmonary changes in even outwardly asymptomatic kids. Soooooo many question marks about this blasted illness!!

Back six months ago, who’d have dreamed where we’re finding ourselves now?!?! Although right around the first of the year, I remember seeing a tiny little article about this weird new “flu” that had been seen in a few patients in China. I even thought “Hmmmmmmm...” at the time. But never, ever did I imagine where that story would lead :-(((((((.

I have been home since March 13. We did not return to site after spring break. Instead, we ended up doing the distance learning thing for the rest of the school year. So, I did work, but I worked from home and am very grateful that I was paid up until summer break. I have been at home for four months already, only venturing out when absolutely necessary for supplies, or my sanity. It is pretty sad that the highlights of my week revolve around senior hours at Walmart or Costco. In another month, I am expected to return to on-site learning. Covid cases are running rampant here right now and it’s so much worse than when we originally went out in March. I desperately want to see my kids again. I have missed them terribly. I miss my friends and social interaction, which is weird because I’m not really all that social. So yes, I am concerned about returning to the school site in the midst of this pandemic. I know of several staff members who are updating their wills and trusts this summer. Who would’ve thought that teachers and staff would be afraid to return to work. Afraid for their own safety and the safety of their family members. Afraid that their students will get sick and take it home to their families. To their parents and grandparents, many of which live in multi generational families. Yes, the best place for students to learn is at school from teachers who truly love them and fight for them every day. Right now, who
    is fighting for all of the dedicated adults who lovingly serve our children day after day, year after year? I hope someone is because I am truly scared and know others are too.

It is really scary. Jess is frantic that they are talking about the kids going back to school here in Glen Cove. There's no way they can keep a kid like Alex social distancing and God forbid he brings it home. Sigi is the same age as me, 64! Even though Josh can fight off viruses, who knows if this will be the one that he can't. They are both back at work, Jess at a cardiologist office and Sigi in a bakery, both pretty risky, but they have to make a living. They do family things together, bike riding around Glen Cove, movie nights at home, a few get togethers with one family they are very close with. We see them often, I babysit on days that Sigi gets called in to work the same days that Jess works. Outdoor places are opening up so we may start going on adventures again...we'll see. Josh and I like to drive around and look at houses. Seeing people with masks used to be so weird, but now it looks so normal. I hate wearing them, their hot, my glasses fog up and I feel like I can't breathe. As soon as I get out of the store, off it comes!

I really only go food shopping, to the pet stores, vets, farm, and Hicks for plants. I just started going to an outdoor market the last couple of Saturdays and enjoy it. Our own veggies are getting bigger, and I have a neighbor who keeps us stocked with lettuce, cucumbers and pretty soon tomatoes.

I'm still on furlough and the pandemic insurance ends next week...not going to be able to pay all my bills with just the unemployment money. The thought of looking for another job just does not appeal to me at all. The dogs are so used to me being home that it will confuse the crap out of them, plus I don't want to start over. My only hope is that I will be hired back remotely. We'll see...

I'm taking Sibbie and Cooper out to Coram to visit with Jeremy today, that should be fun. I wish I could take Gable too, but I think the long ride and steep stairs at his house will be too much for him. He can have a nice peaceful day here with the house to himself.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Well, there is a new mandate regarding schools released from Governor Newsom, dated July 17, 2020. Previously, school reopenings in CA were up to the individual school districts to decide how to best serve their community. That has changed. School districts may open for on-site learning ONLY after their county has been off the govenor's watch list for 14 straight days. The criteria for the watch list involves several criteria. Some are rate of new positives, hospital capacity/ICU beds available, number of weekly outbreaks, etc. The number of outbreaks allowed in one week per county is 7. My county had 23 recorded outbreaks in one 7 day period. Needless to say, we remain on the governor's watchlist for the foreseeable future. So, even though my little city remains low as far as COVID numbers, we are considered part of the county for the purpose of reopening. My small school district had been planning to re-open. It is possible for superintendents to apply for a waiver for reopening from the Department of Public Heath to consider. That is the only way a district, in a county on the watch list, might be able to open. All counties on the watch list, and those who have not been off of it for 14 straight day MUST start the school year on Distance Learning. That amounts to about 80% of the state, as of now. New counties are being added to the watchlist every few days. What does that mean for me? There is still time to get off the watchlist in time for an August 19th reopening. That is not looking likely at this point. I do want to go back. I think that most people do. However, I need to feel that it is safe to do so. So for now, it's a wait and see approach for many.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 07-20-2020 at 05:50 PM.

There is not enough money in existence nor threats strong enough nor reasons compelling enough to cause me to go back to work in a school setting nor send my child back to a school setting. Period. Full stop. To do either or both is asinine in my book.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.