Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Yohnny 11 year old Shih-tzu with Cushing-like problems

Default Re: Yohnny 11 year old Shih-tzu with Cushing-like problems

Thanks for confirming Marianne. I feel good about moving forward. Will start Yohnny on Vetoryl tomorrow. Hugs and hope you are doing ok in these difficult times, Amanda

Update on Yohnny May 13

Today he did a check-up after being on 10 mg of Vetoryl for 14 days (he weighs 8.2 kg).
    Because of pandemic, I was not allowed in but vet interviewed me outside.
    Basically all is well so far. He has not had any adverse reactions. I have not seen any changes to positive or negative.
    Vet said heart and lungs sound good, not lowering of the heartbeat.
    I have noticed his arthritis has gotten worse and the vet noticed when she did her exams. So he will be back on his painkillers again (Vetrimox).
    We go back in 14 days for pre-Vetoryl cortisol test.
    His protein urea was down from 1.7 to 1.6. I cannot figure out what number he should have. In a previous test I have, it says 3. Are there different ways of putting a value on protein/creatin?
    So I guess all in all so far so good.

Amanda & Yohhny
    Last edited by Jayessi; 05-13-2020 at 09:14 AM.

When my Harley had the urine protein:creatinine ratio test (UPC) the reference range was less than 0.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    When my Harley had the urine protein:creatinine ratio test (UPC) the reference range was less than 0.5.
    ok. Thank you. So 1.6 sound very high

Dear friends,
    Can someone help Cushing's and proteinuria? I am trying to understand better. it seems that it can be common in dogs with Cushing's and can both be resolved with treatment - and not be resolved. Am I understanding correctly?

Yohnny went in for check-up yesterday after being on 10 mg of Vetoryl for 14 days (he weighs 8.2 kg). His protein urea was down from 1.7 to 1.6. But it still sound high to me. What is your experience?

I read that it is common for dogs with Cushing's disease to have urinary tract infection (UTI). However, because of the immunosuppressive action of excess cortisol, these dogs may not show clinical signs of UTI or have an active urine sediment (1,2). Therefore, a urine culture is recommended in all dogs with newly diagnosed Cushing's syndrome and again at 6-month intervals while on treatment with trilostane or mitotane.
    Should I be asking my vet to do this?

2) Because of the renal issues and overt proteinuria, should we address dietary therapy in these dogs?
    Do any of you address this with your vet? or are you implementing dietary therapy?

Thanks for input. Amanda & Yohhny❤️

With a UPC result of 1.6 I would want to know the GFR (glomerular filtration rate) and have a relatively new test called the SDMA run. Before the SDMA we didn't know the kidneys were in trouble until around 75% of function was lost because what we relied on was the BUN and CREAT. The SDMA tells us much sooner if kidney function is decreasing. The GFR tells us how well the organs are filtering and excreting toxins via the urine. These two things will give you a much better idea of Yhonny's kidney status than the UPC, BUN, and/or CREAT.

To learn about kidney function and the tests used check out the IRIS website - http://www.iris-kidney.com/guidelines/staging.html
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    With a UPC result of 1.6 I would want to know the GFR (glomerular filtration rate) and have a relatively new test called the SDMA run. Before the SDMA we didn't know the kidneys were in trouble until around 75% of function was lost because what we relied on was the BUN and CREAT. The SDMA tells us much sooner if kidney function is decreasing. The GFR tells us how well the organs are filtering and excreting toxins via the urine. These two things will give you a much better idea of Yhonny's kidney status than the UPC, BUN, and/or CREAT.

To learn about kidney function and the tests used check out the IRIS website - http://www.iris-kidney.com/guidelines/staging.html
    Thank you! will check out the site. I am so glad they have a new test that helps catch kidney problems earlier. Have had a furbaby with CKD
    Last edited by Jayessi; 05-14-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Hello dear friends!

Yohnny did his Pre-Vetoryl Test this morning. Result was 96. And the protein in his urine is done from 1.6 to 0.9.
    He is himself again and much more alert. ❤️ (And he had a haircut-see pic
    Going back in a month for another PVT.
    I think it is time to celebrate a small victory? Right?
    /Amanda
    Last edited by Jayessi; 05-30-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Oh Amanda, yes!! Let’s definitely celebrate your good news!

That’s an excellent result on Yohnny’s Pre-Vetoryl test (around 3.5 ug/dL for our American readers), and all the other news is so good, as well!

Thanks so much for sharing this update with us, and I’ll be hoping that the good news continues from this point onward.

Great job, mom!
    Marianne

Smile Re: Yohnny 11 year old Shih-tzu with Cushing-like problems

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    Oh Amanda, yes!! Let’s definitely celebrate your good news!

That’s an excellent result on Yohnny’s Pre-Vetoryl test (around 3.5 ug/dL for our American readers), and all the other news is so good, as well!

Thanks so much for sharing this update with us, and I’ll be hoping that the good news continues from this point onward.

Great job, mom!
    Marianne
    YAY! Thanks Marianne. Feels really good you have our backs