Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Yohnny 11 year old Shih-tzu with Cushing-like problems

Default Re: Signs of low cortisol?

That knot...it's something we all get...watching for signs, waiting for vet visits, waiting for test results. We love our babies so much and only want everything to be okay with them. I hope that only positive results come back for Yohnny.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh me, too! We’ll be waiting anxiously to hear more as soon as you find anything out.

Marianne

Quote Originally Posted by Joan2517 View Post
    That knot...it's something we all get...watching for signs, waiting for vet visits, waiting for test results. We love our babies so much and only want everything to be okay with them. I hope that only positive results come back for Yohnny.
    Thank you for reaching out. Feels good to have contact with people who understand.

Everyone on this site understands...we've all been there. There is nothing that you haven't gone through that members here haven't.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Thank you Joan.

Update: Evening on Nov 4 Yohnny fainted. Went to vet next day (Nov 5) we where worried a hard decision had to be made. Took a lot of blood tests, stool sample, xray and ultrasound (2nd one in 3 days). He still has anemia but numbers are better (but still not within range). ACTH stim test showed adrenal glands working (Cortisol 0 min 130/<120 Cortisol 60 min 342/<350). His liver still has something going on but they could not find any blood leakage on ultrasound, but he did have blood in his poop. They are now treating for gastric catarrh and stomach ulcer (Losec+Andapsin). In general he seems ok we is alert when things are going on in but does have much lower energy and sleeps more. He eats well, goes out to peep and poop, although poops is loose (maybe due to medicine?) Our plan is to try this medicine and see if it will help. Today Nov 8 he is a little perkier. Vet is contacting me this week. Cannot figure out how to attach Lab results and vet notes.
    Last edited by Jayessi; 11-08-2021 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added more info

Thank you so much for the update! And thanks so much for the ACTH report — yes, it looks like I can finally stop worrying about low cortisol! I’m very relieved about that, but sorry to hear about the internal bleeding. Unfortunately you can’t add any attachments to your replies other than in photo form. But you’ve done an excellent job all along about explaining to us what the vets have told you. It sounds like a stomach ulcer might definitely be the source of the bleeding, and hopefully the new medication will really help. We’ll continue to watch for more news this week.

Sending healing pats to your sweet boy!
    Marianne

Dear Marianne and group,

Quick update. After 3 weeks of Losec and Andapsin for his stomach Yohnny is doing well! His energy and spunk is back. And once we stopped with the Losec his stool was normal too. We will be going in for a blood test and check-up on anemia etc beginning of dec. Thank you for your support. I think I figured out how to attach a photo of him...after he was sniffing a pile of leaves...

Oh my, this is *great* news — thanks so much for the report!!! And thank goodness for that new medication! I’ll definitely be watching for your photo of your sweet boy :-)))))))

Best wishes, as always!
    Marianne

Hi! Yohnny and Amanda here. It's been a while. After the stomach problems in November last year. Yohnny has had to have an eye removed and several teeth removed in a big surgery (not cushing's related) and he is struggling with anemia/stomach issues - this has taken a toll on him physically, but he is not in pain and still has that twinkle in his eye and is a happy dog.

I am looking for some practicle and emotional support. He has had loose stool since Thursday and I am worried. He seems ok in general but needs to go out in middle of the night etc. The question is how worried should I be? His health issues have taken a financial toll on me and I don't want to take him to the vet unless I really have to - also for his sake since he has been so much.

I know it is hard for you all to give direct advice without knowing anything and seeing the situation yourself, but how do you think in these hard situations when it does not seem to be an emergency...but I am worried that if I wait it might become one....

Thanks for any input.