Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newly diagnosed - Any success stories with Tristolane?

Default Newly diagnosed - Any success stories with Tristolane?

My name is Roz. My baby is Rex. He is a 12 year old Teddy Bear ( half Bischon and half Shiz Tsu). He is fairly asymptomatic with only slight increases in drinking water and urination but wakes us up 3-4 times a night to potty. Proteinuria +2 - ALT 196 and ALP 520. Also elevated cholesterol 442. Platelet count also high at 480. Glucose not high yet but super high “normal”. Then ran Bile Acid test and cortisol blood work. Bile acid normal and cortisol high. He weighs 16.9 lbs now.

Had all this blood work done because of pre-dental anesthesia. So.......dexamethisone suppression test was next.
    Cortisol pre-Dex: 8.7
    Cortisol 4 hr post Dex: 0.7
    Cortisol 8 hr post Dex : 6.7

Vet says Pituitary dependent Cushings disease is his diagnosis.

I want to treat. Vet wants to treat with Vetoryl 10mg once daily to start with follow ups to determine dosing.

My question is - Are there any positive stories treating with Vetoryl? After reading some of the posts, I am now frightened.
    I could use some advice here. Anything will help!

Thanks in advance for helping me through this!
    Last edited by Bamafanroz; 02-18-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Need to add weight of my dog

Default Re: Newly diagnosed - Any success stories with Tristolane?

Hello Roz, and welcome to you and little Rex! I’m sorry you have need of our services, but under the circumstances, I’m so glad you’ve joined us :-). All of the lab abnormalities that you’ve noted are indeed consistent with Cushing’s. In terms of Rex’s comfort, it sounds as though he’s not yet being bothered too much by observable symptoms. Often when that’s the case with older dogs, we don’t feel as anxious about urging owners to start right up with treatment. But some specific exceptions are when a dog is exhibiting high blood pressure, proteinuria, and/or elevating glucose levels. Those conditions can be directly related to high cortisol levels and if untreated, can precipitate more serious systemic problems. So under the conditions you’ve reported, I do believe I’d want to start treatment, too, if Rex was my own dog.

Your vet is exactly right — the results of the LDDS point towards a pituitary tumor. And I’m very relieved to hear that he is recommending that you start with the relatively low daily dose of 10 mg. While there’s no way to predict in advance exactly what the optimal dose will turn out to be for any given dog, you’re definitely minimizing the risk of unwanted side effects by starting with a low dose and working upward, if needed.

I’m so sorry that you’ve become frightened by reading some of the stories here. Again, there’s no way to know how the path forward will unfold for Rex. Cushing’s is not a kind disease, and the medication is powerful. But over the years, we’ve witnessed many success stories here! However, as you might imagine, folks for whom everything goes smoothly may not stick around for long — if they even register and post as members to begin with. If all goes well for their dogs, they may quickly fade away from here once they resume their normal lives. Folks who stay and post may do so because their dogs have encountered some specific problems, and so you may read about more serious complications. (But on a much cheerier note, some folks stay with us just because they feel attached to our family here!).

Anyway, for right now, it sounds as though your vet is right on top of things. Once you do start treatment, here’s an important tip. When trilostane is given once daily, it’s best to administer it in conjunction with breakfast. The drug is metabolized most efficiently when given along with a meal. I’m going to give you a link to a thread on our Resouces forum that provides even more treatment tips.

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...l-(trilostane)

I’ll go ahead and close for now. But please feel free to ask any more questions that come to mind. And once again, we’re so glad that you and Rex have joined our family.

Marianne

And a quick P.S.: Being a Georgia resident, I couldn’t help but notice your username...

I see you’re posting from Wisconsin, but might “Crimson” actually be your favorite color???

Yes lol. I live in Wisconsin but I am a 3rd generation graduate of the University of Alabama ��❤️

And thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I understand what you are saying. Rex’s Cushings diagnosis was caught early through routine bloodwork. I wanted to start the medicine while he’s still healthy otherwise or the excess cortisol is going to cause other major health issues. I am hoping I will be one who can stick around and help others after successful early intervention for Rex! I’ll keep you updated. I ordered his medicine from an online therapy and going to start it Friday am so I can watch him all weekend. Thanks for the links about how to administer the medicine, too.

I really appreciate everything you told me!

Just wanted to say that my old girl was 10 when diagnosed and she has done really well on the meds. She is now 16 years and 7 months old Unfortunately old age is catching up on her fast the last few months, though nothing to do with the Cushings. With that starting dose and by making sure you have the regular test while on the meds Rex should do fine.

Oh thank you for your reply! I’m starting the medicine today! I will keep you both posted on his progress! Thank you for giving me hope and strength to make this important decision for Rex’s well-being and health!

I so appreciate Laura’s reply, too, sharing her positive experience with you. We’ll definitely be hoping that today goes smoothly for Rex! Do let us know when you have the chance.

Beaming positive thoughts your way,
    Marianne

Wow! Great news to report. Rex is doing great! No issues with medicine and he only woke us up once to go potty last night! He seems to have more energy today and seems so happy and bright! I think we must have caught this diagnosis early! Fingers crossed this positive trend continues! Thanks for your heartfelt positivity for Rex!

Ahhhh, that’s great news, for sure! Hoping that things are still going smoothly for you guys!

Marianne