Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don’t know if anyone has ever been in a similar situation cushings

Default Don’t know if anyone has ever been in a similar situation cushings

My dog has cushings and is currently pretty sick. I gave her a 5mg vetoryl pill this morning. Except she did not swallow it she chewed it and the contents inside spilled everywhere! Currently very nervous for my exposure to it!

Default Re: Don’t know if anyone has ever been in a similar situation cushings

My dog is also extremely sick. She’s very shaky doesn’t want to eat. Very lethargic. Her vet wants her on vetoryl a couple of days before I bring her back in

Hello and welcome! You are correct that there are warnings against directly handling the capsule contents, especially for pregnant women. However, I doubt that one isolated instance of contact poses a significant risk, especially if you washed your hands thoroughly after getting any powder on them. It might be a good idea to keep some disposable medical gloves on hand, though, just in the event of a repeat. That way you can protect your hands from direct exposure during administration of the capsule or during any necessary cleanup. You can buy boxes of gloves quite inexpensively at grocery stores or pharmacies.

Can you tell us more about your girl? I’m so sorry that she’s not doing well right now. Has she been taking the Vetoryl for long? How about the symptoms that led to the Cushing’s diagnosis? Anything that you care to share about her overall health history will be a help to us, as well as the specifics associated with her Cushing’s treatment. We’re really glad you’ve found us and once we learn more about your girl, we’ll do our best to offer you our thoughts and suggestions.

Marianne

As long as you are not pregnant nor trying to get pregnant you should be fine. If either of those two factors is present I would call the doc in the morning and tell them what happened. Make sure you can estimate about how much got on your hands and for how long. They will also want to know the dose she is taking. But I wouldn't panic. I think it would take a heavy exposure several times to do any real harm so try to breath for now. IF either of those two things is true for you then call in the morning but I think you will find it's nothing to worry about.

Now about your baby....when you say "pretty sick" what do you mean by that? Is she vomiting? diarrhea? coughing? Can you describe what you are seeing that makes you think she is pretty sick?

How long has she been on treatment? What dose is she taking and how much does she weigh? I am asking trying to make sure the cortisol hasn't dropped too low.

Glad you found us!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercocolove718648 View Post
    My dog is also extremely sick. She’s very shaky doesn’t want to eat. Very lethargic. Her vet wants her on vetoryl a couple of days before I bring her back in
    I think we were all three writing at the same time earlier. But based on these symptoms I’m terribly worried about your vet’s instructions to keep on giving the Vetoryl!! These can be classic symptoms of drug overdose, and if so, continuing to give the Vetoryl can cause a life-threatening situation.

How long has she been taking the Vetoryl?

Hi! Thanks for the responses! She is on 5mg! The thing is he took her off two months ago bc even though her tests came back good her BUN was through the roof, after two weeks off vetoryl all
    Her levels went back to normal. Flash forward two months and she’s worst than she’s ever been, so he put her on 5mg instead of 10mg she has adrenal dependent cushings and I just feel it’s not good. My heart hurts so bad bc I feel I may lose her. I can’t even really think straight honestly! We are trying to conceive �� mostly the reason I worried.

How many doses has she had now that she’s started back? Regardless, I don’t think it’s safe to continue giving Vetoryl to a dog who is shaking, lethargic and won’t eat. I’m not a vet, so all I can give you is my personal opinion. But in terms of triggering an acute crisis, I think it’s more dangerous for a dog’s cortisol level to drop too low than it is for it to run higher. And especially if your dog developed kidney issues while taking the Vetoryl before, I don’t think it’s safe to continue to give it to her when she’s acting so ill again.

I’m so sorry that she’s doing so poorly!! I totally understand your worry and confusion about all this. But if she was my dog, I’d tell the vet that you don’t feel safe giving her any more Vetoryl and you want her to be re-examined *now.*

If she does have an adrenal tumor, it’s sadly possible that it could be growing and/or cancerous, and that could account for her turn for the worse. An abdominal ultrasound could let you know more about the status of the tumor, or issues with other organs such as her kidneys. Or if she’s not had bloodwork done recently, that would be important to repeat now, too. So I’d want the vet to actually see her before giving any more Vetoryl at all.

As far as your exposure to the powder, you can always call your doctor to put your mind at ease. Or you could try contacting Dechra, the maker of Vetoryl. The link below gives you contact info for their U.S. office. But I doubt that a single instance like this should be too worrisome.

https://www.dechra-us.com/contact/technical-support

Please do keep us updated, OK?
    Marianne

Also, I don’t know if I actually touched any but I don’t know! I cleaned it with a wipe anywhere I saw it and threw it away immediately and washed my hands, I also gave my dog a bath after and in the bath the other half of the pill came out of her mouth! and I grabbed it with tissue and flushed it down the toilet. My poor coco
    Has been through so much. I did wash my hands And took of my clothes and I thought I saw specs of the medicine on my clothes I just don’t know. I also have a little baby and I’m worried some got on her. I know I may be overthinking. Bc if overthinking was a sport I’d win gold medals. But also I’m just nervous for my exposure and then I’m also so nervous about cocos health bc she really doesn’t look good at all.

It is adrenal dependent. It was confirmed on an ultrasound. She had bloodwork
    On Monday and I think everythjng was fine except her liver enzymes were very very high. I’m thinking the worse. I just emailed her vet bc I’m afraid she’s going to die.

I totally understand!! I’m the queen of worrying!! But it sounds to me as though you took good care of cleaning everything and the tiny bit of powder that might still have been clinging anywhere wouldn’t be enough to be harmful.

I’m just so sorry about little Coco not doing well, though. I know she’s your canine baby, and all this has got to be so upsetting :-(((((. We’ll stick right here by your side, truly, so just keep writing any time you want, OK?