Thread: New Member

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Member

Hello all! My name is Vanessa and my oldest furkid Cheyenne (10yr, Boxer) was diagnosed with Cushing’s October 2019. I’ll try to keep our experience so far here as short as I can, but it’s a lot so please bear with me.

Early 2018 at a biannual comprehensive exam (done out of state at the closest Banfield), we noticed elevated liver enzymes in Cheyenne’s bloodwork. Her vet suggested an abdominal ultrasound. When we got back we found a vet in town to do it and the results were negative.

January 2019, she is developing a skin condition. Cheyenne has had skin infections in the past and usually cleared up but this time she couldn’t recover from it. Saw the in town vet multiple times to be sent home with a special shampoo and antibiotics. She started losing hair in places on her torso dorsally and the spots became calcified and dark.

Around this time she started to get abscesses in her elbows (first one on one of her back hind joints) that would cause the leg below the joint to swell up. It was diagnosed as that, an abscess, and was lanced. We went to another vet in town for a second opinion when another abscess popped up, this time on her front leg. It was lanced, and this second vet expressed concern over Cheyenne’s skin and started talking to us about Cushing’s disease. She was eventually tested using the low dose Dexamethasone suppression, I believe. She developed another abscess on her opposite front leg that we kept an eye on. Antibiotics made the swelling go away but now it’s a hardened lump that has flattened and gotten smaller.

As of now Cheyenne has taken one month’s supply of Vetoryl 60mg. After she ran out, the vet did the ACTH test. She wants to keep her on the Vetoryl 60mg for six months, then follow up with her again to see how she’s doing with the medication.
    I should also mention Cheyenne weighed 64 lbs in 2018 and is now at 50lbs.

I am hesitant to give her Vetoryl again as I have read of the negative side effects associated with it. I know all dogs respond differently and she may very well thrive on it. It may be too early to tell since she was only on it for a month but my husband reassures me Cheyenne is more energetic and her skin seems to be looking better and I can’t really argue with that.

So this is where we are now. I’m awaiting her prescription to come in so she has been off of it for about a week. Does anyone have positive experiences with Vetoryl? What are your thoughts on Cheyenne’s ailments? I’m particularly curious if anyone else has dealt with abscesses in the joints as well, although I think it may be something unrelated to Cushing’s. Lay your thoughts on me, my heart hurts for her so much. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by vanay126; 01-14-2020 at 04:14 PM.