Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I知 new! 6yr old Rottie/Catahoula mix recently diagnosed and having quite the time...

Default Re: I知 new! 6yr old Rottie/Catahoula mix recently diagnosed and having quite the tim

Hi Everyone!

I'm checking in to ask how do you know when the meds need to be adjusted - what symptoms do you all experience?

Eli has done very well for months and recently his legs seem to be a little weaker and his breathing is faster again. I contacted the vet to get an additional 5mg (on top of his 30mg that we've been taking) I really don't want to take him in for another ACTH test if possible because he seems to take a bit to recover from it (also he got a big hematoma from the last test that freaked me out).

I really wanted to check and see what other people's symptoms have been when they needed a dosage adjustment before I overthink anything.

Default Re: I知 new! 6yr old Rottie/Catahoula mix recently diagnosed and having quite the tim

When you see the same signs you noticed before starting treatment that is a good indication the cortisol is rising again. Signs like excess drinking, ravenous appetite, excess urination, heavy panting for no reason, etc. In addition the regular ACTH or PVC monitoring tests will catch any increases or decreases in cortisol which is another way to know if a dose change is needed. The testing schedule is every 90 days for life unless you see signs that indicate the cortisol is too high or too low then testing is needed at that time. Any time the dose is changed the testing schedule starts all over at the 2 week mark - 2 weeks, 30 days, then 90 days if all is well. The signs that the cortisol is dropping too low, which is a critical situation, are loss of appetite, loose stools/diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, and lethargy. If you see any of those signs stop the med and call the vet asap. Maintaining that testing schedule is important and I am so sorry Eli had a bad reaction last time with bruising. My Squirt used to bruise quite often from the tests but she healed and it didn't seem to bother her tho it really bothered me!

The dose should never ever be increased without doing an ACTH that proves the increase is needed. This is a very very risky move even tho the increase is only 5mg. Please keep a very close eye on Eli for any of those signs of low cortisol. Vetoryl is a very powerful drug so should be handled with extreme care. Low cortisol is a life threatening situation while high cortisol is not so it is always better to be sure any increase is really needed. The signs you mentioned could be due to any number of other reasons that have nothing to do with Cushing's or cortisol so always test to be sure 1) nothing else is going on and 2) that the cortisol is actually too high again. We don't want any posts saying Eli is sick and I know you don't want that for him.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Rimadyl and Cushings Thoughts

My dog Eli has had Rimadyl in the past (pre- cushings) and no issues- although it was only for a week time period. He recently needed a dosage increase of Vetoryl and already has delicate muscle mass in his back legs. I think he has a sprain or strain in one of his back legs (based on a vet visit with an x-ray) He has been favoring one of his back legs and has avoided putting much weight on it.

Well the vet saw some swelling and prescribed Rimadyl at 75mg twice a day (75lb dog)... okay. I’ve done this in the past.. no problem.. until- 2-3 days later he threw up and then had fire hydrant poops for 2-3 days like I’ve never seen. I stopped his meds day one of symptoms- day 3 of meds.

Come a week later he has either taken another tumble something and is favoring that leg pretty hard again.
    How have the other Cush pups done on Rimadyl?? I’ve known that Eli’s GI system is sensitive since the Cushings diagnosis and the previous pancreatitis last year..

He was prescribed 75mg twice a day and that was too rough on his system. Wondering if anyone has had any issues or luck with a different thought process??

Almost thinking about trying 75 mg once a day with an over the counter stomach easing pill (forgetting the name right now ??)

Going to ask my vet in the morning but I trust this message board quite a bit better.

Any thoughts/ experiences with Rimadyl while taking Vetroyl with Cushings?
    Last edited by Jenbubs; 08-25-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Default Re: Rimadyl and Cushings Thoughts

Rimadyl is an amazing anti-inflammatory that does bring much needed relief to severely arthritic dogs but it is tough on the stomach and the liver, and our cushdogs already have a liver working harder, Metacam, I believe, would be a better option.

Lori

Default Re: Rimadyl and Cushings Thoughts

Personally I wouldn't use Rimadyl even in a dog without Cushing's because of how hard it is on the liver and digestive system. Look into Gabapentin and an newer med called Galliprant.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I have merged your thread about the Rimadyl into Eli's original thread. We like to keep all posts about each dog in one thread. That way it is easier to keep up with the history plus this thread can serve as a sort of diary for Eli's journey, making it easier for you to see patterns, etc.

Hi All!

I'm back on with good news that Eli is doing really well! He is still on 30mg of Vetoryl per day and I have been giving him MYOS Canine Muscle Formula for the last 4 months for his hind leg muscle wasting and his muscles has built back up a bit which is wonderful in our house! He can run a little now and can get up and down from the couch without falling.

Hope everyone is doing well

- I've added a few albums showing his before and now progress

-Jenni