Thread: Is depression normal for cushings?

Default Is depression normal for cushings?

Hi, I have a 7 year old boxer who started vetoryl a week ago despite apparently not being “classic” cushingoid. The only symptom she doesn’t have is she isn’t pot bellied and I have had to push my vet to test as a result, she came back borderline so my vet still isn’t convinced. We go in for the 10 day test Thursday which will hopefully tell us more.

Anyhow I was wondering if her being utterly and completely miserable is normal? The only thing she is interested in is food. She seems to hate us (used to love a cuddle on the sofa) disinterested in walks even took her to the beach which is her favourite place in the whole world and she mooched along, had a brief dig in the sand and then wanted to go home. I know one symptom is lethargy so I am hoping this is what this is but the fact she seems to hate us now is really depressing.

Thank you

Default Re: Is depression normal for cushings?

Hi and welcome to you and your sweet girl!

I know with people, elevated cortisol can have a negative affect. My brother -in-law has been taking a high dose of prednisone for a while now and depression is one of his side effects, so I do believe this can happen in dogs too.

Could you share more about your girl, such as posting the results of all tests that were performed? We need only to see the values that are marked abnormal with the reference ranges and units of measurement, we are especially interested in the results of all tests that were used to diagnose the Cushing's...thanks! Also, exactly what symptoms is your girl displaying? How much does she weigh and what dose of Vetoryl is she taking? Did the vet tell you that the Vetoryl has to be given with a meal to be properly absorbed, and that those monitoring ACTH stimulation tests have to be performed 4-6 hours after the Vetoryl is given? Does your girl have any other health issues? Besides the Vetoryl, is she taking any other herbs/supplements/medications?

I apologize for all those questions, however, the more we know about your precious girl the better our feedback can be. I am sorry for the reasons that brought you here but so glad you found your way here and we will help in any way we can.

Lori