Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12y/o JRT/Spanish Bodeguero - Sweet Maggie has passed

Default Re: 12y/o JRT/Spanish Bodeguero new Cushing's diagnosis, weight loss??

Maggie's shaking seems really extreme today. She's been sick this evening so we won't be giving her the tablet in the morning and will give the vet a call. She managed to eat something from the grass on her evening walk so we are hoping the sickness is just her clearing whatever that was out...

I’m surely hoping that Maggie is feeling better today, but I think your decision to hold her medication and consult with the vet is very wise. The trembling and vomiting can both be signs that her cortisol has dropped too low, and it’s always much better to be safe rather than sorry. We’ll be anxious to hear an update whenever it’s convenient for you to let us know.

Marianne

Thank you Marianne,

Maggie has had no more sickness and the shakes have eased a little. We've paused the vetoryl for now and the vet is running some more blood tests. The only positive is Maggie has not lost any further weight but nor has she yet gained any back.

Will post results when we have them.

Amy

I’m so relieved to hear that Maggie has been feeling better! I think you and the vet are doing exactly the right thing by pausing the Vetoryl and checking her labwork. Good job! And please do continue to check in with us...

Marianne

Hi again,

Blood results suggest the sickness wasn't due to a drop in cortisol from the medication. Vet suspects something else is going on in addition to the Cushing's but we are continuing to hold off on the medicine for now.

Vet is recommending an abdominal ultrasound that would be looking for possible cancer. We are not sure what to do.. the ultrasound requires some sedation and would be looking for possible cancer. If cancer was found we wouldn't be up for surgery or chemo for Maggie at her age so not sure if it's better just not to have the scan!

She seems ok ish today, there have been some tail wags, but she seems to be drinking quite a lot again.

Poor Maggie, we just don't know what is for the best,

Amy

Personally I would do the US. It may not be cancer but something that is treatable. Also, I would want to know if something is causing her pain right now, pain that could be treated and relieved....or not. Even if it is cancer, knowing what kind will let you and the vet(s) know what to expect, if there are things that can help (or harm), and give you an idea of when enough is enough, as terribly difficult it is to wrap our heads around such a thought. Regardless, we are with you and Maggie every step of the way.

Hugs,

Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

An update on Maggie:

Today we have had the abdominal ultrasound. It has confirmed adrenal cushings but also picked up an enlarged liver that is an unusual colour. No sign of additional tumors but we've agreed to further x-ray and blood tests to check out her chest too and are waiting for the results.

We will be restarting meds I think to manage Cushing's. However she has lost a little more weight again which is concerning. We are waiting to hear the other results and what our options are. My heart breaks for our little girl,last night she lay on her side miserable and shaking and there was nothing we could do to help her.

Amy

Other results are back and no other issues have been found.

Her adrenal tumor is quite large, but given her age we are choosing not to operate and to manage with meds so Maggie is going back on the vetoryl. Vet thinks liver issues are linked to Cushing's but we are going to keep monitoring. We are increasing her food to try to address the weight loss issues. We are also going to try her with some daily calpol to see if some of the issues are pain related (possibly linked to arthritis)

Amy

Dear Amy, thanks so much for this update although I know the news about the adrenal tumor is a worry, especially in view of Maggie’s weight loss and other issues. Under the circumstances, I think you are taking the best care of her that you possibly can, and it will all come down to facing each day as it comes. I’m surely hoping for some more good days for you all. Please do continue to let us know, OK?

A gentle hug for sweet Maggie, and some big hugs for you all.
    Marianne

Thank you Marianne,

Today we are having some incidents of Maggies back legs failing her completely. I'm wondering if the weight and muscle loss has just become too much.

Amy