Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

Default Re: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

Pookie slowly stopped eating, which they think was from Pancreatits. Hope all is well with Maggie. I agree to stop and check with your vet, because a lower dose may be needed, stopped all together, another cortisol suppression med, or something else. Now I'm worried to start Pookie on this stuff too. Just to add to it, Pookie's sister is 16 today and slowing down. It is very depressing when our dogs get older, but caring for them in their old age is my first priority. I understand your frustration and you are trying to help your baby just like I am.

I'm wondering if those meds should be done with a change in diet or probiotic stuff? Not sure, but just a thought.

The terribleness has stopped for now. I hope it’s over. Maggie ate all her food tonight and still wanted her after dinner Kong! Wow what a rebound.

Funny. The vet who called me back said she didn’t think the events were from the vetoryl!!! Crazy!

Now I don’t know what to do! Restart tomorrow? Abandon treatment completely? Has anyone else experienced these gastro issues?!? Please help!

Default Gastrointestinal issues with vetoryl

Has anyone had experience with gastrointestinal issues from vetoryl? If so please reply!!!

Thanks!
    Maggie’s very scared mom

Default Re: Gastrointestinal issues with vetoryl

Absolutely! Trilostane (Vetoryl) tore up my Buddy's stomach. Pepcid AC and Slippery Elm bark ( made into a slurry) helped ease those symptoms tremendously. SEB coats the stomach lining, similar to Pepto Bismol for people. It can interfere with other meds, preventing their proper absorption. For that reason, it should be dosed two to three hours before/after meds. It can be used up to 4 times a day, but that is difficult to acheive while dosing around other medications. Even once or twice a day can help. At least, aim for bedtime. It can calm rumbly tummies throughout the night, so everyone can get more rest.

To sum it up.... Stomach upset is common with dogs taking Vetoryl.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Default Re: Gastrointestinal issues with vetoryl

Oh thank you thank you for answering! What is strange is that she was fine for two days (4doses) and the third day all went crazy! I am afraid to give her a dose tomorrow.

She ate fantastically tonight so I think she’s feeling better. Do you give the Pepcid before the vetoryl? Where do you find slippery elm bark?

I would ask the vet if you should start with a lower dose. I wish I had more insight to give, but I don't have any experience with this drug. I'm still waiting on Pookie's thyroid test to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
    I would ask the vet if you should start with a lower dose. I wish I had more insight to give, but I don't have any experience with this drug. I'm still waiting on Pookie's thyroid test to come back.
    I’m going to ask as soon as her treating vet gets back to me. I spoke with someone from the internal medicine service last night who infuriated me by claiming it wasn’t the vetoryl. Even the manufacturers help line said it could be from the vetoryl!!! I want to speak to the dr who actually gave her this medication to see what he says.

My local vet (who is an absolutely amazing person) said wait until the loose stools resolve and then discuss a lower dose. She says it’s absolutely a side effect of these meds.

How’s your gals today? Happy belated birthday!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemoo1 View Post
    I’m going to ask as soon as her treating vet gets back to me. I spoke with someone from the internal medicine service last night who infuriated me by claiming it wasn’t the vetoryl. Even the manufacturers help line said it could be from the vetoryl!!! I want to speak to the dr who actually gave her this medication to see what he says.

My local vet (who is an absolutely amazing person) said wait until the loose stools resolve and then discuss a lower dose. She says it’s absolutely a side effect of these meds.

How’s your gals today? Happy belated birthday!!
    My little rascals are doing pretty good. Peaches is now 16, and if Pookie makes it to January, she will be 16 as well. It's hard to see my babies get old, but I'm doing everything I can to take care of them. Having them for so long has created a huge attachment to them, but I also stress myself out, because now that they are old, I'm always worrying about them and watching them like a hawk. I wish I won the lottery so I don't have to work and just spend time with them and take care of them.

Have you tried Adrenal Harmony? I used this with Pookie for 6 months, but have stopped, because she got sick and her kidney values were high. Not sure if this caused it, but thought you could think it over. My Pookie doesn't have the heavy panting anymore, doesn't drink or eat like crazy, but her back leg weakness and skin/hair is screaming for treatment. This is the only reason I'm thinking about Vetoryl/Trilostane, but I'm scared to try it. I've read reviews where Vetoryl and Adrenal Harmony has worked miracles for their pets, and I have heard that they were awful... It's scary, but every dog is different. I guess we do the best we can with blood tests, scans, and clinical signs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R3EVP3QHJS05K8
    Last edited by fkhan; 09-02-2019 at 01:43 PM.