Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

Default Re: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

I have merged your latest post into Maggie's original thread. Please keep all posts concerning Maggie in this one thread. Thanks!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    I have merged your latest post into Maggie's original thread. Please keep all posts concerning Maggie in this one thread. Thanks!
    Well I’m considering taking Maggie off the vetoryl. She’s sleeping all day and her stool is still soft despite the metronidazole I’m wondering whether it’s worth it.

Her back leg weakness is getting worse and she’s now on high blood pressure meds because of cushings. I’m wondering if there’s a way to control the effects of cortisol on her little body without the vetoryl which just seems to make her feel terrible. I hate to cause more harm than good.

Anyone have any ideas? When is enough enough!?! I’m suffering because she’s suffering. I could really use some help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemoo1 View Post
    Well I’m considering taking Maggie off the vetoryl. She’s sleeping all day and her stool is still soft despite the metronidazole I’m wondering whether it’s worth it.

Her back leg weakness is getting worse and she’s now on high blood pressure meds because of cushings. I’m wondering if there’s a way to control the effects of cortisol on her little body without the vetoryl which just seems to make her feel terrible. I hate to cause more harm than good.

Anyone have any ideas? When is enough enough!?! I’m suffering because she’s suffering. I could really use some help please!
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I have not started on the Vetoryl yet and may not. Can you ask the vet about a lower dose? Also, my little Pookie is eating again, but her hair has gotten worse is is falling out all over her back. She does seem comfortable though and goes for walks. Her muscle weakness is not as bad as it was. I feed her home cooked food and give her Azodyl for her kidneys, Denamarin Advanced for her liver, Adrenal Harmony for her Cushings, HMR lignans for her cushings, SubQ's for her kidneys, VitB12 shot, Ginkgo Biloba for her Cushings, VitC for her immune system, fish oil for Cushings and just being old, Pepcid for acidity/cushings. At this point in time, the only reason why I would consider vetoryl is because her skin/hair appear to be screaming for treatment. Since the skin is another organ, I'm still waiting for the blood tests to see if she has a thyroid problem or cushings problem.

Why is she on an antibiotic? Is it because of her stools? If her stools were fine before the Vetoryl, I would think the Vetoryl could cause it and maybe diet and probiotics would be better. I know when Pookie was on antibiotics, she was listless and lethargic.

Quote Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
    Why is she on an antibiotic? Is it because of her stools? If her stools were fine before the Vetoryl, I would think the Vetoryl could cause it and maybe diet and probiotics would be better. I know when Pookie was on antibiotics, she was listless and lethargic.
    The internist put her on it because of the diarrhea. Yes I’m sure the drug is causing the diarrhea because her stool was fine before starting.

I’m taking to vet tomorrow. This can’t go on.

What is her blood pressure reading? Also, what are you doing about the elevated alk phosphatase? Is her liver and gallbladder ok?

Default Re: Gastrointestinal issues with vetoryl

There are other novel therapies being looked at for Cushing's, however, these new treatments can be costly and there is still much more to learn about them. This link that I'm providing has information regarding these new medications: https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...ht=Cabergoline AND https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...827#post189827

Lori

Hope all is well. What did your vet recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
    Hope all is well. What did your vet recommend?
    Hi
    We are keeping at her 5 mg once a day and will test next Tuesday. I am stripping the metronidazole tomorrow. Her stool has been quite normal the last two days! Thank goodness for small things!

I consulted with Dr Bruyette who is an amazing human being. He said we are in great hands at our animal hospital and he agrees with the strategy.

I suspect we will need to increase her dose and that could again open the floodgates but for now she seems to be doing much better

How are your little ones. Did the thyroid panel come back?

Dr. B. Is amazing! He has helped many of us! Did he advise you to stop the metronidazole, or was that your decision?
    Just wondering because two days of a normal stool isn't very long. My dog was on a course of metronidazole for 10 days. The diarrahea stopped on the second day of treatment, but I was told to continue it for the entire 10 days. 5 days after finishing treatment with the met, the diarrhea started again. We followed up with another 10 day round of met. Finished the second round 17 days ago. Infection has finally cleared. So, again two days of normal stools aren't very long. Yes, it could be caused by the Vetoryl, or could be an infection, or both. If Dr. B. Advised you to stop the Met, I would absolutely follow his advice. If he didn't, I'd Think twice about it. Did your regular vet suggest that it be stopped? If I was going to the vet on Tuesday, I would probably keep my dog on the Met until that appointment, at least. Then again, I am overly cautious.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 09-12-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!