Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

Default Re: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

Thanks Marianne!

I’m contacting him Monday to confirm. Today is day 2 of higher dose. So far all is quiet......!

Hoping for the best for my little girl. I can see she doesn’t feel great though. When do you actually see a difference? I would imagine going from having all that cortisol to reduced cortisol probably makes them feel off.

This has to be the most frustrating disorder. Boooooo cushings

How is our Maggie girl doing today?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    How is our Maggie girl doing today?
    Hi!
    Thanks for checking in!

She’s doing great! No more GI issues and we are on the twice daily 5 mg. She’s due for her stim next week. Here’s hoping we continue on this course. It’s amazing how much better she’s doing now.

Although it could be wishful thinking I feel like she has a bit more energy and she’s panting less. She just seems more vibrant. I know it’s early though.

I’m wondering when you really start to see a difference clinically. I hope quickly because her blood pressure is very high (vet put her on meds for now) and cholesterol is high too. Any thoughts on this?

I am glad to hear she appears to be getting better. Wish I had some insight on her blood pressure, but I don't have any experience in that area. I'm not sure if Omega 3's would help, but may.

Quote Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
    I am glad to hear she appears to be getting better. Wish I had some insight on her blood pressure, but I don't have any experience in that area. I'm not sure if Omega 3's would help, but may.
    Thanks. She was on fish oil but the vet said to take her off and just give the vetoryl and blood pressure medication for now. I hope it will go down with the cushings treatment

How’s pookie?

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemoo1 View Post
    Hi!
    I’m wondering when you really start to see a difference clinically. I hope quickly because her blood pressure is very high (vet put her on meds for now) and cholesterol is high too. Any thoughts on this?
    Clinical symptoms such as increased drinking/urinating, ravenous appetite usually improve within 2 weeks of treatment. Panting is very common with cush dogs and this is due to a few things: the increased fat deposition over the thorax, and also the fat distribution to the abdomen which increases pressure on the diaphragm, both can take a while to improve.

You definitely want to keep an eye on Maggie's blood pressure, getting it checked at least every week is ideal until it normalizes. Unfortunately even with treatment for the Cushing's Maggie may need to continue the blood pressure medication.

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemoo1 View Post
    Thanks. She was on fish oil but the vet said to take her off and just give the vetoryl and blood pressure medication for now. I hope it will go down with the cushings treatment

How’s pookie?
    Pookie is doing so much better now. I don't know what miracle occured, or if this is the calm before the storm, but I'm happy she is doing well. I'm going to have another blood check in a week or so to check her kidneys again. Her clinical signs for cushings have been less and less for some reason. I can't make sense of it, but am happy where she is right now. She can go for longer walks, gets up on the couch, and her hair appears to be growing back. She does however have a small lump on her leg or a cyst that I'm going to the vet look at. This is the leg where she had the most IV work done on as well. Ever since I started using an antiseptic shampoo on her, her hair appears to be growing back. I'm not sure if she had a skin condition/infection or if it was from cushings. I was thinking it was from cushings, bec she looked like other cush pups with cushings. Right now, I'm holding off treatment until something changes. She is on a special diet and supplements which may be helping her too. I hope your little one continues to improve!!

Thank you,

Hi everyone
    We had our second stim. Pre was 5.4 post was 9. Blood pressure went down thank goodness!!! Keeping her on the 5 mg twice a day and will restest in 2 months. Vet didn’t want to raise dose just yet.

There’s another development unfortunately. Large amount of protein in her urine. Anyone have experience with this cushings side effect? Vet put her on semintra which is a newer drug. Ugh. Now she’s on blood pressure meds vetoryl and this. She has NEVER. Taken meds!!!

I’m afraid we will never outrun this freight train

Unfortunately, proteinuria (protein in the urine) is commonly found in dogs with Cushing's. I do remember one of our staff members, Judy, giving Telmisartan (which is the active ingredient in Semintra) to her dog Abbie with positive results...here is a link to their thread: https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...s-now-at-peace Crossing fingers that Semintra helps with Maggie's proteinuria. Was an urine protein to creatinine ratio (UP:UC) test performed to determine how much protein is being lost through the kidneys?

Lori

Thanks! Sorry I’ve bren away for a bit.

Yes the test was done and results say u pro/crea 6.8.

She’s on the meds and we will recheck in a month to see if it’s helping. Maggie seems to have more energy but I still think we are not at the right dose yet. Retest is in December. Fingers crossed things get better