Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Nightime Panting and accidents

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    Thanks for all the suggestions....I plan to do some research!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    Rosie is actually taking two 30 mg and one 10 mg. twice a day. Maybe it would be less expensive to get the 60 mg. capsules instead of the 30 mg. I will check into it and see if my vet will change the prescription. She was originally started on the compounded form of trilostane (which was certainly much cheaper) with my former vet but unfortunately it was not working for her. I also have recently connected with the rescue group she came from and it looks like they will be able to help with the cost of the upcoming ACTH. Thanks for your help!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    rural central ARK
    Posts
    14,258

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    I'm so glad the rescue will help out! That is wonderful news!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

    Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    14,429

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    I agree, that's great news about the rescue! Also, yes, I think you'd definitely save money by switching to the 60 mg. capsule strength. Two boxes of 60 mg. will be less than the cost of four boxes of 30 mg. So if Rosie seems stable enough that you'd not need to be backing down to a lower dose again, I'd indeed request a prescription change. And do check out some of the pharmacies on that link in terms of competitive pricing.

    Marianne

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    I'm pleased to report that I was able to get Rosie's prescription changed and the two boxes of 60 mg each month is much less expensive than the four boxes. My cost is now less than $200. a month. Thanks! She's now on 70 mg in the morning and 60 mg in the evening. I am a little concerned with some symptoms that have returned so it's possible that dosage could be increased. She is losing a lot of hair and her back legs have become very weak. It's hard for her to jump into the car so I have ordered a ramp from Amazon. Next month she will have another stim test so we will see.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    rural central ARK
    Posts
    14,258

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    Keep us updated if things continue to change for your sweet girl. I am so glad you were able to find a way to lower the cost a bit! That is ALWAYS nice! Hope things remain fairly steady thru the coming weeks!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

    Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    Again it has been a long time since I have been on this thread but I wanted to update what's going on with my Rosie. Her last ACTH test was good so she has stayed on the same dose of vetoryl for several months. It's now time to retest and I'm concerned about her recent symptoms. She does not have much strength in her legs and has a hard time getting up and down. She is drinking a lot more water and she has regular times of heavy panting, day and night. I will be talking to my vet but at this point I'm wondering about her quality of life and don't want her to be in pain. It's so hard to know what is best for both of us. I believe that she had the cushings when I adopted her 6 years ago. When she was diagnosed last year and put on the vetoryl her coat changed completely with soft fluffy fur and darker in color as well. She had an early shed this year in February and then grew it back again. Now she's shedding again. I'm wondering if this is due to the cushings. Anyway, I'm taking her to have the ACTH test today. (hopefully I can get her in the car....she's a big girl!) I would welcome any advice about deciding when it's time to say goodbye. Thanks!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    rural central ARK
    Posts
    14,258

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    What you are describing could easily mean the dose needs to be adjusted again so don't think too hard about "the end" until she sees the vet and has the cortisol checked.

    As for when it is time, I think our babies will let us know by their behaviors. One thing you can do now is make a list of the things she still enjoys - foods, certain treats, games, toys, walks, etc. Then as she loses interest in the things she has loved check them off the list once you are SURE nothing medical is causing the changes. When my babies got down to having only one thing left they enjoyed I knew the time was close and I started listening to them carefully. We each know our babies best of all so you will know when the light in her eyes changes, when she seems tired beyond normal for her age and situation, and so on. Experience has taught me that it is best for my babies that I let them go a day early rather than a day late. I had rather take any pain on myself than risk they should suffer. I believe you will do the same for your sweet girl or you wouldn't be here asking this very difficult question. Know we are with you every step of the way and will support your decision, knowing it is made out of love.

    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

    Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    Thanks for your sensitive response. The results of her ACTH showed that the cortisol level had gone too low so we are decreasing the dosage on her vetoryl. So I will be waiting a couple of weeks to see if this change makes a difference. I will be watching for the things you mentioned as well. So far she still has some life in her but she's very wobbly and not as active as usual. She did manage to get up the ramp into the car but it wasn't easy. She does still love her walks but we don't go as far as we used to.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    14,429

    Default Re: Cost of treatment

    Hi again from me, too! I’m very glad to hear that Rosie has had her cortisol checked, but I am concerned about the specifics of her situation since you say that she is still acting very wobbly and less active. Please ask your vet for the actual numbers of her ACTH test results. Depending upon exactly *how* low they were, it may be safest to totally discontinue the Vetoryl altogether for a while, as opposed to simply reducing the dose. Some dogs who are overdosed on Vetoryl rebound quickly. But for other dogs, the functioning of their adrenal glands may remain oversuppressed for quite some time. If that’s the case, you don’t want to continue giving the medication at all until the adrenals have recovered and are back to producing sufficient amounts of the necessary hormones on their own. Some dogs even require active supplementation of those oversuppressed hormones during the time period that the adrenal glands are recovering.

    Since your vet has told you to just reduce the dose, I’m hoping that means that Rosie’s cortisol level didn’t actually fall below the lowest level of the desired therapeutic range. But the only way to know for sure is to find out the actual test results. I’m hoping that her basic blood chemistries were also checked, especially her potassium and sodium levels. In addition to cortisol, a Vetoryl overdose can also affect the adrenal hormone that controls the balance of those two “electrolytes.” Serious problems can result from that, as well.

    So please do check on those actual test results and let us know, OK?
    Marianne

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •