Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightime Panting and accidents

Default Re: Nightime Panting and accidents

Thanks for sharing....I had hoped that the vetoryl would would change things for us as well. Rosie doesn't have the huge appetite ( in fact sometimes I have to put treats on her food just to get her to eat so I can give her the medicine.) But for us the hardest has been the constant panting and drinking, especially at night. It has been quite a challenge, both financially and emotionally.

Has your baby had an abdominal ultrasound? If not I would want that done asap on a high resolution machine so they can see more of the internal organs clearly. It is possible something is pushing on the diaphragm making it more difficult to breath. I would also want to rule out ADH, the adrenal based form of Cushing's in which a tumor is growing on one or both adrenal glands. This form is more difficult to control so it helps to know whether that is in play or not and an US will show that - if it's done on a high resolution machine.

The ACTH shows that the cortisol is still too high which can account for the signs still remaining. Has she had an LDDS to diagnose the Cushing's or only an ACTH? The reason I ask is because with a dog who has as many health issues as you say she does and who is already anxious the ACTH can often come back positive when the dog does not actually have Cushing's. Any stress, internal (such as a tumor on the spleen or other organs) or external (stress from going the vet or riding in a car) can easily cause the cortisol to rise in natural response to the stressor. My second dog diagnosed with Cushings' had a host of other conditions and illnesses and I always questioned the cush diagnosis as a result. After she passed I had a necropsy (autopsy for animals) performed and it proved she never had Cushing's. It was the other issues that caused false-positives on her testing. My first cush pup also tested positive on 5 different tests but the US found a tumor on her spleen and once it was removed her cortisol returned to normal. She did develop Cushing's a few years later but when she was originally diagnosed she did NOT have it - she had a tumor on her spleen which caused the cortisol to rise in response which caused the tests to show positive. So I am always nervous when a dog is treated based solely on an ACTH.

Something to keep in the back of your mind - if the increase in Vetoryl dose doesn't help you might consider switching her to Lysodren. Some dogs can't take Vetoryl or don't respond to it; others can't take Lysodren or don't respond to it. In both cases switching to the other drug can help. Do NOT let anyone pr anything you read scare you about Lysodren. BOTH drugs have the exact same risk factors; both drugs are very powerful; BOTH drugs are life-savers. So just keep that in mind if this dose change does not help.

Do let us know how things are going!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks for your response Leslie. Rosie has not had an abdominal ultrasound but I will ask my vet about that. She did have the LDDS when she was diagnosed back in June at my former vets office. I don't have the report but I remember them telling me that she definitely had cushings and that it was the adrenal form rather than the pituitary form. I'm pretty sure she has cushings and since she's been on the vetoryl her coat has improved greatly. She's never had such a soft and fluffy coat since I adopted her. Next week she will have another ACTH and I'm hoping that her new vet will again increase her dosage. If it doesn't help with the panting and drinking we may need to consider trying the Lysodren. I will keep you posted.

I know it's been a long time since I posted anything but wanted to finally report that Rosie is now on the right dosage of vetoryl (60 mg twice a day) and seems to be doing much better. We are still dealing with her anxiety issues which causes some panting but she calms down much faster. It has been quite a journey but I'm glad to see some good results!

We’re so glad to hear that things are going well! Thanks so much for updating us, and please continue to do so ;-).

Congrats to you, and a big pat to Rosie.
    Marianne

Default Cost of treatment

I know it's been a long time since I have been active on this site but I am struggling right now with the cost of medication for my Rosie. She was diagnosed with cushings last year in June and after many costly tests she is now thriving on 140 mg of vetoryl daily. I am still paying off credit card bills for her care and she needs another ACTH stim test next month ($350.) The cost of her vetoryl is about $350. monthly. Does anyone know of any financial help that is available? Thank you!
    Carolyn

Default Re: Cost of treatment

Yes, the financial struggle is real. Have you tried Care Credit? They were a godsend to me when my Lena was hospitalized a few days before she died. I have another Cushpup and I use that for most of his bills. In fact, I have four dogs and use it for all of them. I'm over the limit right now, but I know that if I ask, they will raise it.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Welcome back from me, too. You’ll see that I’ve merged your new post into your original thread about Rosie — this way, all her info is consolidated in one place. I’m so glad to hear that she is doing well, but like Joan says, I surely understand the stress of the costs. Joan’s suggestion about Care Credit is an excellent one. In addition, I’m going to give you a link to a thread on our resource forum that lists some other cost-savings measures.

As far as Rosie’s Vetoryl, I’m assuming she’s taking 70 mg. twice daily? If so, probably in the form of one 60 mg. capsule and one 10 mg. capsule morning and evening? I just now quickly price-checked that combo on one of the Internet pharmacies listed on the link, and came up with a monthly total of a little less than $250. Still a lot of money, but a bit of a savings for you. And if you check other pharmacies listed on the link, you may come up with even a better price. Another med option that you’ll see discussed on that link is a compounded form of trilostane. If your vet will consider it, compounded trilostane will definitely be much cheaper than brand name Vetoryl.

Also on that link, you’ll see the possibility of substituting a less expensive alternative monitoring test for the ACTH: taking a “pre-Vetoryl” baseline cortisol level. Again, your vet may or may not feel it’s a reasonable and safe substitution for Rosie right now. But it’s an option you may want to discuss.

So here’s the link to the thread with all this info. Look it over and just let us know if you have questions.

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...ushingoid-Dogs

Marianne

"May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.