Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightime Panting and accidents

Default Nightime Panting and accidents

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to handle the excessive panting during the night. My dog, Rosie, has been on vetoryl for cushings for about three months now. The vet has increased her dosage several times but we are still dealing with very loud panting episodes in the middle of the night that wakes me up from a sound sleep. Also, because of accidents I have often needed to take her out during the night to pee. We tried giving her acepromazine which did make her drowsy but she was still panting. The panting and drinking continues during the day as well but she can calm herself eventually. I'm desperate for a good night's sleep! Thanks for any helpful advice!

Default Re: Nightime Panting and accidents

Do you have a copy of the last ACTH Stim test you had done? There is a wide range that is considered 'normal' so it really comes down to symptoms as well as numbers At 3 months on the meds you would be due another test. If the post number is between 3-5 then I would look at splitting the dose between AM and PM since you are seeing symptoms returning in the evenings. So if you were doing 30 mg once a day for example then you would split that to 15 mg morning and night (with food of course) and this should help keep the cortisol more level over a 24 hour period.

Posting her monitoring ACTH stimulation tests would really be helpful to us, and could you also tell us what symptoms Rosie displayed that led the vet to suspect Cushing's. Also, what tests where performed that diagnosed her Cushing's and would you post those results as well. Did she have a CBC and chemistry blood panel done, and if so, would you post any values that are marked abnormal with the reference ranges and their units of measurement...thanks! What dose of Vetoryl is Rosie taking?

The panting is very common with our cushpups, with my Harley I found that spritzing his pads and belly with water helped a little along with keeping the house really cold.

Lori

I will need to get a copy of the ACTH Stim tests....she has had several and the dosage of vetoryl has been increased gradually to 40 mg twice a day. She weighs 60lbs so this seems like a pretty strong dosage but she is still panting a lot and also drinking a lot even during the day. It's easier to deal with during the day but at night it wakes me up.

I will try to get the results of the many tests she has had in the last few months. I was actually the one who suspected Cushings after my own research online. Her main symptoms were the excessive panting and drinking. The vet thought the panting was due to pain but agreed to test her for cushings which turned out positive. They also did a blood panel to check her thyroid as she has been on medication for low thyroid for a while. Rosie is a rescue who came to me with severe separation anxiety and has also been on prozac and trazodone for her anxiety. I've had her for five years now and I think she may have had the cushings for a while but we were treating her for anxiety (and all the other issues). I've never had a dog with so many health issues. I ended up changing vets recently because I didn't think the first one really knew much about cushings. I love my new vet but still am concerned that the vetoryl is not improving her symptoms. Thanks for the idea of spritzing her pads and belly with water....I will try that. I do try to keep the house cool as well.

Increased drinking/urinating can be caused from an UTI, has this been ruled out with an urine culture?

Yes she had a urine test done recently and does not have a UTI. I believe the cushings is the cause but the vetoryl is not helping so far. I will be talking to her vet tomorrow to find out what our next step should be.

Hi,
    I noticed you say the vetoryl is not helping so far and just wanted to let you know that Bo my bichon frise has been on vetoryl for 3 months. It has lowered her cortisol level to the accepted range however her symptoms all remain. I changed vets just over a month ago and he is now treating her for proteinuria too (old vet just shrugged her shoulders and didnt know what to do about proteinuria).
    We are trying twice a day vetoryl dose just now but he and i both feel this is as good as its going to get for Bo, some dogs just dont seem to lose the symptoms. I read the paper that was done on pre vetoryl testing at Glasgow Vet School and there were several on the trial that still had symptoms.

Not much help to you but just wanted to share as all i read are great stories about vetoryl changing a dogs life but sadly it hasnt so far for Bo (or myself who has a starving dog pestering her for food all day long).
    Its so hard at times, i think she has had this for a couple of years and symptoms put down to other things but its been a tough couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by crohrs View Post
    I will try to get the results of the many tests she has had in the last few months.
    Please do get the results of all tests that were done and post them here for us as this will give a better picture of what is going on with your sweet girl.

Today I got the results of her recent tests on August 13 with my new vet. From what I can tell everything was in the normal range on her blood test and urinalysis. Her thyroid results were in the normal range as well so she's taking the right dose of thyro-tabs. The numbers for the ACTH were: Cortisol - Pre 4.1 and Cortisol -Post 6.9. After this test her dosage of vetoryl was increased from 60 mg a day (split) to 80 mg a day (split). My vet told me that it could take up to a month to see if her symptoms improve.