Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Pookie - Dog not eating and has Cushing's

Default Blood clots in dogs with Cushings

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone suggest using Plavix for blood clots. My little Pookie has had at least one stroke, and possibly another a few weeks ago. It was either an acute vestibular incident or blood clot in the brain. Internal medicine stated they would stop the plavix for risk of a brain bleed, but if infarcts are noted on the mri, wouldn't blood clot medication be the treatment?

Default Re: Blood clots in dogs with Cushings

Your latest individual thread has also been moved to Pookie's original thread. We keep all posts about each dog in one single thread. It makes it easier for everyone to look back thru the history plus gives you a good record of her journey all in one place VS spread out across the board with individual threads getting lost. So if you need to bookmark this page so you can find her thread from now on, please do. I am also going to add her name to the thread title to make it easier for you to find.
    Thanks!

As for the Plavix...I haven't used it with any of my dogs. BUT blood clots VS brain bleeds are very different things. The clots are thickened blood needing thinners such as Plavix but drugs like Plavix would make bleeds anywhere much much worse. I would listen to the IMS on this one if any bleed is present. Of course if you are dealing with both a bleed and clots then things get difficult unfortunately.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Blood clots in dogs with Cushings

I’m so sorry Pookie is having this added problem, but I think Leslie’s comments are 100% spot-on. I really have nothing to add about the Plavix, but I surely hope that things will improve for Pookie. Please do let us know.

Marianne