Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pookie - Dog not eating and has Cushing's

Default Re: Looking for Dr. on East Coast for Pituitary Tumor Removal

I also second and third that. I wish I had let Lena spend her last few months without all the testing and vet visits. Instead we ran back and forth to the vet every time we changed her dosage and even though she never fussed, I think we both would have been much happier just enjoying our time together.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Definitely addressing the kidney issue and getting her to eat on her own are the top priorities right now. The Cushing's should be put on the back burner as it is a slow progressing disease and it takes a long time before any internal damage occurs. Exactly what medications is Pookie taking right now? And has an urine culture been performed to be sure that the UTI is completely gone?

Sending hugs, Lori
    Thanks for the advice. Pookie is in the ER getting IV's. She had a CPL test done that showed a light positive on her pancreas. They don't suspect pancreatitus or cancer, but it's not 100% ruled out. I'll double check on the urine they took yesterday to verify the UTI can be ruled out. The strange this as she has been going through all of this is that her clinical signs for cushings have diminished. No panting and her calcinosis cutis has smoothed out. I screamed addisons, but nobody thinks it's that. Right now they want me to keep her on IV's and will check her kidneys tonight. They also want me to see an internal medicine doctor, which I'm working on scheduling. She still didn't eat for the ER and have been syringe feeding her the past 2 weeks. She did however eat the tuna steak I made for her a couple of days ago. Docs have hinted that we never know the answer and I too want her home to be comfortable with me and her sister Peaches. Pookie has also been off her supplements for 2 weeks and don't know if that's impacting her or not. Melatonin, Adrenal Harmony Gold, HMR lignans, Ginkgo, Tumeric, and was just starting to look at four marvels. Thank you.
    Last edited by fkhan; 08-16-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Pookie is at home now and her kidney values are normal again after IV therapy. I hate putting her through all the tests as well, but nobody knows what is going on with her and why she will not eat. Doctors have said we may never know. I have a scheduled appointment with internal medicine next week on Wed at 10:30. She has been off her supplements for over 2 weeks and am not sure that has anything to do with it or if she is just slowly fading way. I have almost maxed out my credit card of 9k and am running out of options. I'm going to give internal medicine a try, because she shows signs of joy and signs of sadness. It use to be more joy than sadness, but is leaning more towards sadness and that time may come, but I have not given up on her and do not want her to suffer. It's very difficult to let her go when she still shows signs that she wants to stick around. It has been a battle the last couple of weeks and has taken a huge toll on me financially, physically, and mentally, but my baby is worth that and more...........

Quote Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
    Pookie is at home now and her kidney values are normal again after IV therapy. I hate putting her through all the tests as well, but nobody knows what is going on with her and why she will not eat. Doctors have said we may never know. I have a scheduled appointment with internal medicine next week on Wed at 10:30. She has been off her supplements for over 2 weeks and am not sure that has anything to do with it or if she is just slowly fading way. I have almost maxed out my credit card of 9k and am running out of options. I'm going to give internal medicine a try, because she shows signs of joy and signs of sadness. It use to be more joy than sadness, but is leaning more towards sadness and that time may come, but I have not given up on her and do not want her to suffer. It's very difficult to let her go when she still shows signs that she wants to stick around. It has been a battle the last couple of weeks and has taken a huge toll on me financially, physically, and mentally, but my baby is worth that and more...........
    I have a bit of joy right now. I ran out this morning after having Pookie home for 4 hours resting and came home seeing her lick the leftover chicken that her sister didn't finish last night. I picked up some prescription Recovery canned food and tried to feed it to her, but all she did was scoot her nose at it. I walked in the kitchen and warmed up my leftovers from last night, bec I made tuna steaks to bring to her in the ER last night. She didn't eat it last night in the ER, but she came in the kitchen from the smell from the microwave. I couldn't give her my tuna, bec it was seasoned, but I did have some baby carrots with my meal and offered her some. She ate the little chops up pretty good. I had 1/4to 1/2" sections that I would put on the floor intermittently and she crunched them down. She probably had about 2-3 baby carrots in total, which is really great to see her eat again. She is now back snoring in the Den. She is still really weak, but still walks to go out and pee on her own. Crossing my fingers I get my baby back to a good quality of life.

That sounds great! Let her eat what she will for the next few days to gain as much strength as possible! Thanks for that lovely update.
    Hugs and belly rubs!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Last night we cooked chicken for Pookie, but she didn't eat it. I gave her a little baby food by Gerber and started her melatonin and HMR lignans again last night, because she has been off of those for 2 weeks. I can see her walk better this morning when she went out to pee. I also chopped up 3 baby carrots again and she ate those this morning. I'm wondering if she is afraid of eating meat, because it might be causing something. Will try some scrambled eggs this morning for her. Given her rise of kidneys twice in the past month, I ordered Kidney Support Gold on Amazon and will start giving that to her when it comes it today. Prime shipping is wonderful. I don't want to start daily SubQ fluids unless I have to, but I want to set the priority of her Kidneys over Cushings, but they may be related. I'm also wondering what I can give her to help her immune system since Cushings suppresses that. Any ideas for immune support in old dogs with Cushing's?

I also am interested in blood clots in dogs with Cushing's. When Pookie had her MRI, the neurologist said she had a stroke at some time. I read that Cushinoid dogs are prone to blood clots and was wondering if she needs blood thinners or something else to keep this in check. Her blood pressure is not great, not good, and not bad. Systolic I think is in 180's, which is a bit high. Not sure what to do with this information going forward. I know I'm looking at a lot right now. I should probably wait on all this other stuff and just address her eating and make sure her Kidneys are ok. Sorry, just worried, but glad to have her home.

I think your last thought is spot on - focus on her kidneys right now. Remember hydration is crucial for any sort of kidney problem so if she needs subQ fluids then don't hesitate to provide them. That makes sure her body is well hydrated. When we feel bad, and malfunctioning kidneys make you feel really bad, we tend to forget about little things like drinking. You can also help the hydration by adding water to her food. Make a carrot puree using water if she like carrots, or green bean puree, etc. Try everything with water added when you feed her...any meats or veggies can be mushed and made soupy. She may find that easier to eat as well. In human years she's around 75-77 yrs old so keep that in mind when considering food. Also as dogs age their sense of smell fades so they just don't find foods as appealing as they used to. We can help there by adding stinky things like water from tuna (plus some tuna!), Parmesan cheese, canned tripe (unless you make your own), and so on. Things that will appeal to her nose...but maybe not yours.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks for the tip. I just gave her 100ml of SubQ's. I have an appt with internal medicine on Wed. I tried to had parmesan and water to her recovery food, but she didn't like it. She didn't eat the chicken last night, but will try ground beef and rice tonight. For some reason she is still eating the baby carrots.

Just found out the brown rice is higher in phosphorous than white. Don't have any white rice, but pasta and a little butter appears to be ok. Will try that soon.