Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pookie - Dog not eating and has Cushing's

Default Re: Dog not eating and has Cushing's

Good news for now. Pookie ate the lean hamburger minced with angel hair pasta cut up and a little butter. I'm going to give her more in about an hour. She really hasn't eaten much since all of this has started. She use to weigh 19.2.lbs and now weighs 17.6lbs. The odds are against her being 15 3/4 years old, has had Cushing's for a year with elevated liver enzymes, and now in the past month has been to the ER twice for IV therapy, which gets her values back to normal. I was initially thinking the UTI caused the first one, but now I'm thinking she may have CKD given her age and everything else. Just to stay proactive, I'm giving her filtered water from now on, I'm going to brush her teeth tonight, I ordered Pet Well Being Kidney Support Gold, which should be here tonight with Prime. I'm also going to check with my vet tomorrow about phosphate binders. She walks good sometimes and sometimes she has Ataxia drunken sailor walk, which really alarms me, because my little Maria cat had that before her Kidneys went and the vet tried IV's with no success. I don't know if I can own another dog after all of this. It's very difficult emotionally, physically, and financially... I have lost close to 20lbs with all the stress and my blood pressure has dropped to 96/67, which I guess is good for some and maybe good for me, because I haven't been eating junk or drinking to deal with this stress. I have been a fined tuned machine with all senses on alert for my Pookie. I don't want to miss anything and staying focused has probably kept her alive through all of this. I just hope she pulls through and am doing everything I can to give her some more time with a good quality of life. It's hard to just put her down if she shows promise, but I feel bad that she is suffering right now, but I don't know if she can pull through or not without trying. I wish dogs could speak to me and us not to rely on clinical signs. When I'm sick, I'm miserable to, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to check out for good.

I also read that fish is high in phosphorous and not good for the Kidneys. Will stay away from that. I also read that acidity is not good for the kidneys either. Will give Pookie a half tablet of pepcid too tonight.

Pookie ate again!! Pasta, ground cooked leaned beef with a little butter on the angel hair pasta. Administered her with the Kidney Gold, Vitamin C, Omega 3 fishoil, and HMR lignans tonight. Held off on melatonin and gave her 1/2 pepcid. Crossing fingers. She did have a good poop too. It was so nice to see her eat with her sister again side by side. Hoping for the best..

Default Re: Looking for Dr. on East Coast for Pituitary Tumor Removal

That's great to hear that Pookie ate again!!!! This Dogaware web site, that I'm including a link to, has a lot of information regarding canine kidney disease, I hope you find it helpful: http://dogaware.com/health/kidneydiet.html

Hugs, Lori

How is Pookie doing today?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

She is doing ok, but not great. Went to Internal Medicine yesterday and waited for 45mins to be seen and then 2 emergencies came in. Left the vet and am following up with Pookie's primary tomorrow to check her kidney values. She is still eating her baby carrots and pasta and hamburg. I just started adding Azodyl to her diet per her primarys recommendation. If she has CKD on top of cushings, it is going to be a struggle, but am doing everything I can for her. I'm also concerned over her right eye that is red and now appears to be getting mucus buildup that I'm starting to notice. Thank you.

Hello,

Followed up with Pookie's primary yesterday and her BUN is high, but Creatitine, Phosphorous, and Urine were ok to normal. Vet recommended 100mg of SubQ's 3 times a week and another Blood check next Friday. Vet also recommended to stay on Azodyl, 1/2 tablet of Pepcid. Tried Dr. Harvey's food last night and added protein to it, but Pookie didn't care for it. Her sister seemed to like it. Pookie doesn't appear to like chicken anymore. She might associate chicken with making her sick or maybe it really does. The vet seems to think Pookie had Pancreatitis, but it's hard to say given her age and her Cushings. I'm also adding Fish Oil to Pookie's diet in the evening. In the morning, I will give her some baby carrots, Azodyl, Kidney Harmony Gold, and Advanced Denamarin. I stopped the melatonin for her Cushings and cut back on her HMR lignans. She is a complicated case and I just wish I knew exactly what she needs. She likes carrots and broccoli, but she has to have protein. I guess the highest protein is eggs, but she didn't like them boiled. May try some scrambled eggs this morning for her without the yolk. She also liked english muffins, but I don't know if those are good for her or not. She use to weigh 19.2, but now weighs 16.7 and appears much better than she has been since all this started. I don't know if Cushings caused this or something else. Regarding her kidney's, I'll have to ask if Lepto, Tick virus, and other bacteria have been ruled out. I guess they, but I can't say for sure. It is exhausting, but am staying strong for her. The SubQ's are not easy to do with her now that she is feeling better. When she was sick, it was easy. She is the sweetest little dog and has such a good personality....

Even though Pookie is eating the pasta and beef, she doesn't eat that much. Had to try something else. She appears to like the Nutro Ultra Duck and Lamb mix. Today is the first day in a week she ate enough food. My concern is the store bought food and her BUN levels. Should I worry too much, or just be glad she is eating again? Also, do you think it's time to try Trilostane? My gut tells me Cushing's is causing her problems, but I'm concerned about Addisons too. The scary thing with Cushing's is it cause back leg weakness, but Kidney disease can cause Ataxia, which kind of look the same. I'm keeping her on Azodyl, but not doing 2 tabs in the morning, bec she is new to it. I'm also continuing with the SubQ's, fish oil, vitC, Pepcid, and kidney gold. Do you think it's ok to keep feeding her the Nutro?

I am glad she is eating something and that would be my goal for right now - getting her to eat, period. If she will eat the Nutro then let her have it. Odds are she will lose her taste for that in a bit, too. In my experience that is pretty common in older dogs, even those without kidney problems -they just lose taste for things so the food is constantly being rotated. Did you talk to the vet about a phosphorus binder? Phosphorus is a bigger enemy of dysfunctional kidneys than protein. I was very glad to see they had tested that level and found it to be normal. The subQ is probably helping there. I would try to keep the protein levels low but the focus would be the phosphorus.

As for the Vetoryl, that would be off the books if Pookie were mine. I would forget about treating the Cushing's and focus on her kidneys and comfort from here on out.

Thanks for the updates! We love hearing how she is doing!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I asked the Vet about Phosphorus binders last week, but the vet didn't recommend that yet since her Phosphorus levels were fine. I have an appointment this Friday to have Pookie's blood checked again. My only concern with not treating Cushing's is that it may be causing all these issues. I am still not sure what happened with Pookie. We know her Kidneys were elevated, but don't know if it was from CKD, Pancreatitis, Ulcer, UTI, or something else. It's stressful not knowing for sure. Pookie has back leg weakness and her skin pigmentation and hair loss is not good. She is not excessively eating, drinking, and having accidents in the house. Some people say to start treatment and some say not too. Cushing's is very stressful....