Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a newly diagnosed pooch in the UK

Default Re: Advice for a newly diagnosed pooch in the UK

Hi all, sorry I’ve not been on lately.
    Louis had a good couple of days on his new dose but has been a bit more subdued over the weekend. He had a good day yesterday, now a bit quiet today. I think it’s safe to say he’s a bit up and down! He’s eating and drinking ok, weeing and pooping ok too. I’m a little worried that he may not be eating quite enough but he was over eating before and now I’m giving him a breakfast I’ve made I’m not used to gauging how much dry food he would usually have for the rest of the day. I’m putting around 250g out for him to graze on, and he’s probably eating between 150 and 200g.
    Does anyone have any experience of how long it might take for me to see an improvement in his energy levels. As that was his main symptom all along I understand it will probably be the last thing to resolve itself. We’ve just been for a quick 10 minute walk across the fields in the rain (I love walking in the rain!) and he seems very tired again �� x

Quick Louis update! :-) We’ve been back to the vets this morning, a little earlier than planned because I’m not happy with him on the higher dose. The first couple of days he seemed to be doing ok, and he’s had a couple of odd days since where he’s seemed a bit brighter but on the whole I’d say he’s stepped backwards. The last week he’s been very tired and quiet and I think I’ve seen him stumble a couple of times but I’ve never been completely sure. It’s been a bit difficult to judge this last week as we’ve had a couple of very hot days here and he’s always struggled with the heat. It’s cooled down quite a lot over the weekend and still no improvement so off we went to see the vet this morning. They’ve taken some bloods to check his electrolytes and dropped him back down to 30mg from today. He’s already got an appointment for his pre pill cortisol test next Monday so the vet said if his electrolytes are ok stay on 30mg until his check up next week. I’ll hear from the vet later with his results from today :-) x
    Last edited by clairebear; 07-29-2019 at 04:55 AM.

I'm glad you got him in and hope it turns out he's just not coping with the heat very well. Maybe he will perk up on the lower dose - some pups just don't do well with the lower cortisol and like to be kept a bit higher than the optimal range. Let us know what his numbers are when you get them!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi all. The vet got back to me very quickly, Lou’s potassium sodium levels were fine so we’re sticking with the lower dose for a week. I think you’re right Leslie, that he’s a bit happier with the slightly raised level. His numbers weren’t doing too bad on 30mg to begin with so maybe upping it to 40mg is just a bit too much for him. I think he’s seemed a teensy bit brighter today but we’ll see how he goes over the next few days.

Hi everyone. Long time no see! Hope everyone and their cushings babies are doing ok?
    I’ve been back to the vets with Lou this morning. He’s become very lethargic and disinterested over the last couple of weeks, even to the point of not coming to greet me when I get home. He’s still eating and drinking ok, a bit reluctant at times with food and he’s become picky - he used to love cheese but now he doesn’t seem overly bothered about it.
    The vet has taken general blood and has sent off a pre pill cortisol test which I should hear back about sometime tomorrow.
    He’s lost weight since being on Vetoryl which I suppose is a good thing. At his heaviest he was around 27kg, today he weighed 23.85kg which is roughly what was normal for him before he started to put weight on. I’m wondering if this weight loss is now meaning a 30mg dose is a little too high for him. I understand this is a very low dose anyway and 20mg for a dog of his size doesn’t seem like it would do a lot but I’m quite keen to try him on 20mg. The vet seemed a little reluctant to change his dose until the results are back. What do you guys think? I know you’re all very knowledgable about this, is it worth me pushing the vet to try a lower dose if they don’t recommend it first? x
    Last edited by clairebear; 08-29-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Since the results will be ready soon, why don't you just wait to see what they are, then you can lower it if you want to.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

History has proven that larger dogs often need smaller doses than smaller dogs. It seems backwards but we (and Dechra) see that many larger dogs need only a very small dose while the smaller dogs often need higher and higher doses. It is possible that even tho his dose is small now he might do better on an even smaller dose. The signs and ACTH results will tell the tale tho.

It is a "rule" around here that dogs who are not well should not be given Vetoryl (Trilsotane) or Lysodren (Mitotane). Rather we should wait until the problem causing the dog to be ill has been defined and eliminated, if possible, then restart treatment. So that is something I would certainly keep in mind especially since Louie seems to have had problems off and on for the past couple of months at least. It is also possible that Lou is simply one of the dogs that cannot handle Veotryl. In the US we are lucky in that we have the option for these dogs to switch to Lyso - in the UK that is sadly not an option unless things have changed.

Just some points that offer food for thought.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The base blood test came back fine, the liver enzymes that were raised are still coming down and no problems with his kidneys. The cortisol test hasn’t come back yet, we’ll hopefully have those on Monday. I spoke to the vet yesterday though and they’ve advised me to stop the Vetoryl altogether until those results are in.
    Today has been the first day without medication and he was very quiet until teatime then he brightened up a bit. I’m guessing tomorrow will give me a better idea if he’s improving. I remember you saying bigger dogs tend to do better on a smaller dose than you’d imagine so it wouldn’t surprise me if the vet doesn’t suggest a small dose to try.
    A friend came to visit earlier who is a massive dog lover and used to have a Cushings pooch and she has said that although he was quiet before treatment started he was better then than he is now so either the dose or the drug itself aren’t suiting him. Sometimes you need another pair of eyes to see the things that you’re missing!
    I’ll keep you all posted and, once again, thank you so much for your support ❤️ x

Hi everyone, hope everyone’s doing ok?
    Quick update. I spoke to the vet on Monday and he aired concerns that pain from the beginnings of arthritis was playing a part in Louis’s lethargy. I’d previously dismissed this thinking that he didn’t seem to be in pain. Having thought about it though he has struggled to get into the car the last few times we’ve been out.
    So....we’ve decided to hold off the Vetoryl for a couple of weeks and try some Gabapentin for pain relief. Trying one drug at a time will give us a better idea of which ones are working or causing side effects. The good news is he started the Gabapentin yesterday and he had the best day he’s had in a long time. Not up to the standard of his usual bouncy, boisterous self but a definite improvement. He is noticeably eating and drinking more now he’s off the Vetoryl. I’m a bit happier that his appetite has increased a bit as I think it had been suppressed a bit too much.
    I feel a bit guilty that pain could’ve played a part in this and I didn’t notice but he’s always been a bit of a tough nut! I asked a friend months ago if she thought he was in pain and she agreed with me that he didn’t seem to be, so I suppose I shouldn’t beat myself up too much.
    I think then the plan will be to re-introduce Vetoryl at a fairly small dose given that he seems fairly sensitive to it. I think I can finally see a small light at the end of the tunnel. Keep everything crossed! x

So glad that the Gabapentin is helping! Please do keep us updated!