Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for a newly diagnosed pooch in the UK

Default Re: Advice for a newly diagnosed pooch in the UK

Hi all, sorry I’ve not been on lately.
    Louis had a good couple of days on his new dose but has been a bit more subdued over the weekend. He had a good day yesterday, now a bit quiet today. I think it’s safe to say he’s a bit up and down! He’s eating and drinking ok, weeing and pooping ok too. I’m a little worried that he may not be eating quite enough but he was over eating before and now I’m giving him a breakfast I’ve made I’m not used to gauging how much dry food he would usually have for the rest of the day. I’m putting around 250g out for him to graze on, and he’s probably eating between 150 and 200g.
    Does anyone have any experience of how long it might take for me to see an improvement in his energy levels. As that was his main symptom all along I understand it will probably be the last thing to resolve itself. We’ve just been for a quick 10 minute walk across the fields in the rain (I love walking in the rain!) and he seems very tired again �� x

Quick Louis update! :-) We’ve been back to the vets this morning, a little earlier than planned because I’m not happy with him on the higher dose. The first couple of days he seemed to be doing ok, and he’s had a couple of odd days since where he’s seemed a bit brighter but on the whole I’d say he’s stepped backwards. The last week he’s been very tired and quiet and I think I’ve seen him stumble a couple of times but I’ve never been completely sure. It’s been a bit difficult to judge this last week as we’ve had a couple of very hot days here and he’s always struggled with the heat. It’s cooled down quite a lot over the weekend and still no improvement so off we went to see the vet this morning. They’ve taken some bloods to check his electrolytes and dropped him back down to 30mg from today. He’s already got an appointment for his pre pill cortisol test next Monday so the vet said if his electrolytes are ok stay on 30mg until his check up next week. I’ll hear from the vet later with his results from today :-) x
    Last edited by clairebear; 07-29-2019 at 04:55 AM.

I'm glad you got him in and hope it turns out he's just not coping with the heat very well. Maybe he will perk up on the lower dose - some pups just don't do well with the lower cortisol and like to be kept a bit higher than the optimal range. Let us know what his numbers are when you get them!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi all. The vet got back to me very quickly, Lou’s potassium sodium levels were fine so we’re sticking with the lower dose for a week. I think you’re right Leslie, that he’s a bit happier with the slightly raised level. His numbers weren’t doing too bad on 30mg to begin with so maybe upping it to 40mg is just a bit too much for him. I think he’s seemed a teensy bit brighter today but we’ll see how he goes over the next few days.