Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dixie Doodlebug

Default Re: Dixie Doodlebug

I have been heartbroken since I got the lab work and saw issues with the urinalysis. We lost our beloved Max schnauzer in 2016 from renal failure and I don't think my heart can handle watching another beloved baby go through it. The urinalysis was part of the geriatric package at my vet but I don't know if they will culture it or if I will need to take her back in for them to get another sample for cultures. They did get the sample by cystocentesis. I really wish that when I ask for a full work up they would just go ahead and test for everything possible to keep her from having to go in so many times as it stresses her horribly. She hates going to the vet. They did not check her blood pressure but I will have them do it.
    Thank you for your help.
    Dixie Doodlebug (age 14)
    Jack Russel Terrior
    Female Spayed (24lbs)

It may well be that no evidence of infection showed up in the urinalysis, since you’re not reporting abnormal levels of white blood cells or bacteria as part of the results. So the vet may not have seen a purpose in moving forward with a culture. When urine is very dilute in dogs, sometimes those abnormalities don’t show up on the urinalysis and it’s worthwhile to run a culture, anyway, when symptoms of a UTI are present. But in Dixie’s case, since her urine was well concentrated, the vet may think that an infection is unlikely given her results. I think it would be worth asking him about, though, to get his opinion.

The SDMA may actually have been included in the blood panel that was run. It’s included now on my dog’s annual panel. Check back and see if you find it anywhere on the labsheet.

Also, I sure understand why these abnormalities are so worrying to you. But being optimistic, bear in mind that given Dixie’s age, some degree of kidney dysfunction may not be all that unexpected or truly sinister. It’s certainly important to explore the significance of the labs and to begin any treatment that might be warranted. But whatever’s going on may not actually progress all that rapidly.

Marianne

Default Dixie Doodlebug Update

Hello all,
    She had her LDDS test on Monday, blood pressure check, and ultrasound. Blood pressure was ok and the ultrasound showed nothing alarming. LDDS test results came back yesterday and she is positive for pituatary Cushing's. I will post the labs and info from ultrasound once I receive the results. They will be starting her on Vetoryl and mentioned a starting dose of 20 - 30 mg once daily. I've read many horror stories from being started at too high of a dose. Does this sound like a good starting dose for Dixie Doodlebug she weighed 24 lbs this visit and is a Jack Russell that is 14 years old. She was also started on denamarin for liver support.
    Dixie Doodlebug (age 14)
    Jack Russel Terrior
    Female Spayed (24lbs)

Thanks so much for this update on Dixie, and we’ll definitely be anxious to see the actual testing results. When you say that nothing alarming was seen on the ultrasound, I’m assuming you mean that no tumors or suspicious masses were seen. This would rule out Cushing’s caused by an adrenal tumor. However, enlargement of both adrenal glands is characteristic of pituitary Cushing’s. So if Dixie’s adrenal glands were not enlarged at all, this would be another puzzling aspect to her diagnosis, in addition to her concentrated urine.

However, if the Cushing’s diagnosis is indeed accurate and you are going to begin treatment, I’d personally opt to start with 20 mg. of Vetoryl. Even though her weight falls between 20-30 pounds, I’d want to start at the lower end of the formula of 1 mg. per pound, and then work upward if a higher dose appears to be called for. Our experience here is that unwanted side effects may be minimized by starting low and working upwards over time, rather than vice versa.

Anyway, it’s good to see you back here, and we’ll await further info!
    Marianne

Hi Marianne
    On the nothing alarming with the ultrasound he just meant no bladder or kidney stones, spleen, heart, lungs, and other organs are alright and no tumors or masses.
    I wish I could post a pic of the labs and test but I will type them in (Ultrasound report is very long because he was very thorough also did some x-rays)
    Cortisol sample one 2.2 ref range 1-5
    Cortisol sample two Dex 0.8 ref range 0-1.4
    Cortisol sample three Dex 1.7 ref range 0-1.4

Thank you for your help
    Dixie Doodlebug (age 14)
    Jack Russel Terrior
    Female Spayed (24lbs)