Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Doodlebug

Default Dixie Doodlebug

Hello and thank you for letting us join. I don't have a actual diagnosis but our vet suspects possible Cushings in my 14 year old Jack Russel Dixie. We are having extreme restlessness at night (we haven't slept more than 2hours at night in a week now) as soon as we get into bed and turn off the lights she begins to pant and pace and sometimes shakes. This goes on almost all night long. she sleeps hard during the day and some days seems her normal self but some days seems off..nervous even sad maybe. Sorry I'm trying to tell it without rambling or emotional breakdowns.. No potty accidents, increased potty trips (sometimes just to urinate sometimes extra poop), no real increase in appetite, no history of illness (lost her hearing towards end of 2018). Vet first suspected Dog cognitive impairment and started 100mg of trazadone for the anxiety but it hasn't made any difference but the lab work came back and he is leaning more toward something like Cushings. I'm posting the labs welcome any advice. I have a phone conference with the Vet on Sunday as he was not on shift when labs came back.
    ALT 196 range 12-118
    All 911 range 5-131
    Bun/creatinine Ratio 29 range 4-27
    Platelet count 476 range 170-400
    Eosinophils 1 range 2-10

T4 <0.5 range 0.8-3.5

Urinalysis
    Color yellow appearance clear
    Specific gravity 1.051 range 1.015-1.05
    Ph 6 range 5.5-7
    Protein 2+ rage Negative

Microalbuminuria 5.2 range <2.5
    Last edited by Dixie Doodlebug; 05-25-2019 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Add lab work

Default Re: Dixie Doodlebug

Hi and welcome to the forum. Before my Gable was diagnosed, he had some episodes of the panting and trembling at night for about two years beginning in 2015, not every night, but sometimes for a few nights in a row. He would shake so much that the whole bed shook. I'm not sure if that was a sign of what was to come or not. After my Lena died in 2016, he wouldn't come upstairs to sleep anymore, he slept downstairs, so I don't know if it continued or not. He was finally diagnosed last May with Cushing's.

Posting the blood work, with the Highs and Lows, along with the reference ranges would help others more knowledgeable than I am, try to help you with figuring out what's going on with Dixie.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hello, and welcome from me, too! Joan has gotten you off to a great start and as she says, we’ll await your posting of any abnormal lab values. I have to say that if Cushing’s is indeed the cause, I would expect the panting and restlessness to continue throughout the day as opposed to being limited to just the nighttime. You’ve mentioned more frequent trips to urinate — is Dixie also drinking more water, or is it just that she seems restless and want to go outside more often?

From what you’ve told us so far, I have to say that Cushing’s would not be at the top of my list of likely culprits. But let’s take a look at the lab results and also see what the vet has to say on Sunday. I do understand why he’s been considering Canine Cognitive Dysfunction, and it may remain a consideration. If so, there may be a medication other than trazadone that the vet may suggest. Coincidentally, it also has been found to ease symptoms in a certain subset of dogs who suffer from Cushing’s caused by a pituitary tumor. The medication is selegiline (brand name: Anipryl).

So let’s see those numbers, and also find out what the vet is thinking. In the meantime, we understand how upsetting all this must be for you, your husband, and also little Dixie. We’ll do our best to offer our suggestions and support while you sort things out. We’re really glad you’ve joined us, and we’ll be very anxious to learn more about your sweet girl.

Marianne

Hello,
    Thank you for welcome. I hate any of us need a group like this but so thankful to have a place to come that other people understand.

Hello and thank you for the welcome. She does seem to drink a bit more water than my other dogs but not every day. The only time she pants during the day is after a potty trip and I know that is because she got hot but she doesn't pace around like she does at night. I'm not sure if I'm missing something from the shear exhaustion but I can't figure out how to post the results.

The best way to show us the results is to directly type them in a reply. You only need to list results that are marked as being outside the normal range for that particular value — either too high or too low. We also need the normal range for that value so that we can see how how “off” the value really is. Here’s an example (I just made up the numbers and the range):

ALT: 200 (normal 50-150)

Hope this helps!
    Marianne

Hi ok I think I edited my original post and added the labwork
    Dixie Doodlebug (age 14)
    Jack Russel Terrior
    Female Spayed (24lbs)

Thanks so much for adding the labwork. I now understand why your vet is considering Cushing’s, but some question marks remain. Every single one of the abnormalities in Dixie’s bloodwork can be caused by Cushing’s. However, her urine is quite concentrated, and that would be unusual for Cushing’s. Dogs with Cushing’s typically exhibit abnormally dilute urine with a low (rather than high) specific gravity. So that does make me scratch my head.

The presence of the protein and albumin in her urine could be associated with Cushing’s, but it also might just be due to age-related changes in her kidneys.

Has Dixie’s urine been cultured to see whether she may be suffering from a urinary tract infection? That could certainly make her feel restless and wanting to frequently try to urinate. You might also request a particular blood test, the SDMA, that gives a more precise assessment of kidney function.

These are just my first thoughts this morning. Hopefully, some other folks will also chime in as the day goes on, and I’ll also return as I think about things further.

Marianne

Hi and a belated welcome from me as well!

I totally agree with Marianne, cushdogs rarely have a high specific gravity such as your girl does. The protein loss found in the urine, I believe, should be checked into by having an UPC test performed which entails getting an urine sample preferably by Cystocentesis. High blood pressure has been associated with protein loss in the urine. Has Dixie's blood pressure been checked recently?

I'm sorry for the reasons that brought you here but so glad you found us and we will help in any way we can.

Lori

I have been heartbroken since I got the lab work and saw issues with the urinalysis. We lost our beloved Max schnauzer in 2016 from renal failure and I don't think my heart can handle watching another beloved baby go through it. The urinalysis was part of the geriatric package at my vet but I don't know if they will culture it or if I will need to take her back in for them to get another sample for cultures. I will also ask about the SDMA. I really wish that when I ask for a full work up they would just go ahead and test for everything possible to keep her from having to go in so many times as it stresses her horribly. She hates going to the vet. Thank you for your help.
    Dixie Doodlebug (age 14)
    Jack Russel Terrior
    Female Spayed (24lbs)