Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Thread

Default Re: New to Thread

Is Izzy still taking the Proin?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Diet Change?

Does anyone recommend a diet change to a grain free diet? Any specific kibble brands specifically for Cushings? How about Herbal recommendations? Izzi our dog doesn't seem to be responding since March to Trilostane and the side effects seem way worse.

Thanks

Default Re: Diet Change?

Chris, welcome back to you and Izzi! I only have a moment to post this evening, but wanted to tell you that I’ve merged your newest question into your original thread. This way, all of Izzi’s info will remain consolidated in one place, which makes it easier for us to provide knowledgeable feedback. More tomorrow...

Marianne

Default Re: Diet Change?

Thank you, just getting use to the site!

Default Re: New to Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Izzi-Vizsla View Post
    Marianne, well you are very well read! I spoke with our vet today and got Izzi in this morning for labs. She just called me and said that her electrolytes are WNL but her Liver Enzymes have increased. She’s concerned with the fact Trilostane isn’t working clinically.
    Could you post those values that are abnormal along with the reference ranges and units of measurement?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzi-Vizsla View Post
    She hopes to have the cortisol levels tomorrow and a discussion with Blue Pearl for any recommendations.
    What were those ACTH stim results and what did Blue Pearl advise to do?

As far as dog food goes, there isn't a set diet for a dog with Cushing's, the diet should be tailored to an individual dog's health needs. What I suggest is a dog food that has a high grade quality protein listed as the first ingredient, moderate fiber, and low to moderate fat content. I've read that there is controversy regarding the grain free dog foods, one article published by Tufts University stated that it appears to be an association with grain free food based on peas, lentils or potatoes and dogs developing an unusual condition that can cause an enlarged heart. https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/fu...ma.253.11.1390 Another article from dvm360, titled: "Shedding light on the heart disease–grain-free pet food conundrum" http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com...food-conundrum

Another thing, does Izzi get her Trilostane with a full meal?

Lori