Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Reunion!! — 10th Anniversary Celebration for k9cushings.com

Default Re: Reunion!! — 10th Anniversary Celebration for k9cushings.com

Happy Anniversary. Like the site, my involvement with canine Cushings' ended over a decade ago when I lost my beautiful Criss Ann. I still read and sometimes post on K9diabetes.
    For the first time in 45 years, I'm without any white dogs in my life. I lost my last little dog in Sept. 2018. He was 16 years old. I travel a lot now and am too old to get another.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Bonnie, it’s so great to see you back! I try to follow the threads of our “dual diagnosis” dogs over on k9diabetes, so I do see you over there and I was so hoping you might stop back by here, as well! For sure, you and Chriss Ann were original charter members from the old cc.net website. We all learned so much together back in those early days. Chriss Ann was such a beautiful and brave girl. So many challenges to overcome, but that’s exactly what she did with you right there by her side. You were a tremendous team!

I do understand your reservations about getting another dog, but can also imagine how life-changing the decision must feel. It’s only been 25 years that my life has been shared with dogs, but hubby and I are also facing some similar decisions of our own. Our third Lab, Luna, will turn 11 this summer and we’re not exactly sure what the future will hold for us, either. But for certain, we’ve all been so lucky to share these past years with our precious pups. Nothing will ever change our love and our gratitude for all they’ve given us.

Bonnie, once again, thanks so much for joining our celebration! Have fun on all your future travels, and I’ll continue to keep my eyes peeled for you over on K9D ;-).

Marianne

Hi Bonnie!

Another family member from CC.net comes to visit! How wonderful to hear from you again! I remember Crissy Ann and learned so much from you and her journey when Squirt was diagnosed first with Atypical then conventional Cushing's. She was such a beautiful baby girl through and through and I know you must still miss her so.

I understand what you mean about being too old....my niece ended up with a stray dog 2 years ago that she couldn't care for so she brought him to me so I could find him a home. And BOY did I try! But as fate would have it, HE adopted ME so I now have a big, male, healthy dog....three qualities I have little experience with. I kept telling people I was too old to handle a big dog now but Bud is so sweet and so gentle there is little for me to "handle". And he is one of three - a new addition in the last couple of weeks to my Pug, Sophie, is a Long-haired Chihuahua mix. Once again I am a foster fail! LOL I tell myself there will be no more dogs then one like Tilly, the foster fail, comes along and I am done in again!

As Marianne said, please do drop in from time to time and say HI! You will always be family here.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I was supposed to be here a few weeks ago but then my gallbladder tried to kill me - apparently my Bohemian ancestors' gall bladders take the first sign of trouble as a reason to curl up and die! LOL So I got delayed for a bit.

10 years... I always feel like it's been forever and it was just yesterday! Not much new with me. K9D continues but traffic is slow with so many people going to Facebook groups - which makes me shudder a bit because of the lack of follow-up and continuity. Like all FB groups, there's a lot of drama and fighting at the canine diabetes groups and I feel like I'm kind of done with dealing with K9D on a regular basis. Chris has been gone almost 11 years now. So I am just letting K9D provide whatever help it provides and keep up with reviewing and approving new members and dumping spam registrations. But I rarely spend much time there. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! As with the FB groups, I feel like my making quick comments/flyby advice isn't the best route so I usually only chime in when I have time to get into the details.

Otherwise, all is good. Our nondiabetic / nonCush dog Jack is turning 12. Slowing down but still generally healthy and enjoying life despite a heart murmur he developed three or four years ago. We put him on CoQ10 and a taurine supplement that I think really helped him - could be he's a dog who was taurine deficient for many years. Together, they seem to have stopped the progression of his murmur. Still has quite a bit of back pain that we treat constantly with Metacam and anxiety that resurges a bit when he doesn't feel well. But he's gotten almost cuddly in his older age and is just too cute and smart!

I'm still self-employed, finished up a stint as an animal shelter volunteer a couple of years ago. Jeff retired but is doing some private PI work and may be doing some cold case investigating, and his daughter and her husband had a baby last year and grandpa is over the moon in love. She's very cute and smart. I've never been a crazed baby person. Given the choice, I'll meet the dog over the baby every time. So it's kind of nice that grandpa wants to be so involved.

So things are good, busy, sometimes stressful - about normal! Not very newsworthy I'm afraid!

Natalie

Oh Natalie,

It is so good to hear from you! I don't know what we would do without you, we are continuing grateful for the temporary home you provided us with when the old forum was shut down, and the help you provide us here...thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Gosh I'm sorry to hear about your gallbladder attack and hope that never happens again. Glad to read that Jack is holding his own, CoQ10 and a taurine supplement, I'll keep that in mind when I have a dog with a heart murmur.

My life is hectic, my neice's baby girl will be 5 years old in July and I babysit her 3-4 times a week, overnight visits as her Mom works 3rd shift. Boy does she keep me busy, there's no xbox to keep her occupied at my house so we play, play, play!! I'm exhausted by the time she goes back to her Mom!!! And then need a day to recoup afterwards!

Last year I started raising Monarch butterflies, what a joy that is to do. I get the eggs right after the butterfly lays them and then place them in containers until they hatch. When the caterpillars are long enough they go in proper butterfly pens and remain there until they turn into butterflies. It's just so neat watching them go through their stages until they are butterflies...such beautiful creatures they are!

My Harley's been gone for 8 years now, boy do I miss that sweet boy. Although I've had others after him, he was my heart & soul dog. Still have Alex, the bad cat, and like your Jack, he seems to be getting more cuddly in his older age, he's 11 now but still ornery. I also have my late sister's chihuahua, she's just a tiny thing, 4 lbs, her name is Chili and she is a shy dog and not a lap dog by no means but not the typical yappy chihuahua either. So I've been pondering about getting a puppy!!

Lori

Omigish Natalie — I’m so glad the gallbladder episode is behind you!!! And sooooooo glad to see you here on our reunion thread . As I wrote over on K9D, you are a “Founding Mother” here, for sure!

I can’t get over how fast the years have passed, either. Chris will forever remain an honorary Cush-angel. And I’m so glad to hear how well Jack is doing as a senior citizen. My Luna is just one year younger, and definitely showing some age. But after all my years of worrying about her intermittent limp, it’s never gotten any worse and for that I’m very grateful (of course I should probably not have tempted fate by writing that!). Thank you, though, for sharing with me all the orthopedic insight you’ve gained through Jack’s care throughout these years.

Sending you my very best wishes for whatever path you choose to follow from here on out, both personally and in terms of K9D. Our time spent together on these forums has been a joy, and selfishly, I definitely hope it’ll continue onward in one form or another ;-).

Marianne

Good to hear from you, Natalie! And I second Lori's THANK YOU for giving us a temporary home when cc.net was shut down and for helping up set K9C up. That was a time I doubt I ever forget but you made it easier on us all.

I completely understand you feelings about Facebook when it comes to trying to help people. Too many want opinion and not fact and find any bit of drivel easier to accept than solid science. I still belong to a few cush groups but rarely post on any of them. Just too frustration and heart-breaking.

Jack sounds like he is doing pretty good and I'm glad to hear that! Your Chris will always be family here. I hope you find a path that brings you as much, or more, enjoyment in the years to come as you ever found in the past...tho I guess opening a daycare is not in the cards? I love my grandsons and miss their childhood years but as they grow older our relationship changes and grows deeper so that is some compensation for the lack of them in my arms. They still hug me and say they love me and that means the world to me! Tho I'm all too glad to hand other people's babies back to them and play with their dog! LOL

Thanks for stopping in!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Well, it’s here — the big day has actually arrived...Ten years ago today, k9cushings.com was officially born!

Ten years of Cushpups, memories, and friendships to honor and celebrate! Many, many thanks to everybody who’s already stopped by to add a post, and we hope there’ll still be more notes to come. It’s been a journey, that’s for sure. But a journey that’s best taken in the company of caring folks who understand how much this all matters.

Best wishes to all our K9C family, everywhere and always!

WOW!! Can't believe it's been 10 years! Man, time flies! A lot of beautiful, sometimes tearful but unforgettable memories on this forum.

OK I finally got back. So much time has passed but the friends I made here are still fresh in my mind. So much has happened since I last visited the forum, some good some not so. My RA was causing some big issues but I have had both knees replaced and new medications so I am doing much better. My mum passed suddenly this January and so much to do to get her affairs sorted.

Buddy was my reason for finding the forum and I am so glad I did. At the time I stopped coming to the forum I lost three dogs (Bud, Nelson, Phoebe) all so quickly and gained Janey, Luke and Joey. Janey passed last year but Luke and Joey are still with me.

That's all for now

Jenny XX

I think of all the people I met here that were going through similar things and wish I had been strong enough to continue after losing Bud.