Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reunion!! — 10th Anniversary Celebration for k9cushings.com

Smile Reunion!! — 10th Anniversary Celebration for k9cushings.com

About this time in April, ten years ago, a group of Cushparents from around the world were working sooooooo hard behind the scenes to prepare k9cushings.com for its official public “launch.” Years earlier, we had first formed a family on another website. Without explanation, one day the site owner shut down that forum and left us stunned, heartbroken and homeless. Out of the goodness of her heart, Natalie, the owner/administrator of k9diabetes.com, provided us with a temporary home and the opportunity to regroup. After a ton of learning and experimenting, regrouping is exactly what we did! On May 20, 2009, k9cushings.com posted our official “Welcome” and opened our doors to all Cushparents, everywhere.

“Support...Educate...Encourage...Remember” has been our mission from the very beginning. We’ve tried our best to be of service; we hope we’ve been successful. So many parents and so many pups have graced our family throughout these ten years. There has been success and sadness, laughter and tears. But throughout it all, we’ve remained a family. A far-flung family, but universally connected by our love for our dogs and our desire to keep them as healthy and happy as we possibly can, throughout each day of their lives.

Time marches on, and so many of our precious pups are now beside us in spirit only. Understandably, folks have moved on with their lives. New ways to connect with one another alter the need for a message board such as this. But we’re hoping that perhaps, even if just for a day, some of our old staff and old friends will return and post a note. Share a memory, share a smile, shed a tear. Most of all, to honor our Cushpups and their bravery, and to reflect on the journey that we’ve taken together — and the path that still leads onward.

So please, anyone who reads this post, do feel free to add a note. Whether a veteran or a newbie, an old member or a current member, we’d love to hear your voice. Happy Anniversary to us all!!!!

Kelseyville, CA - 3 hours north of San Francisco, and 3 hours from UC Davis

Default Re: Reunion!! — 10th Anniversary Celebration for k9cushings.com

My dear, sweet Pia crossed The Bridge August 14th, 2013, and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of her. She had a fast-growing pituitary macro tumor, and her journey through Cushing's was short and horrible. Without this group, I don't know how I'd have survived. It was so devastating for my darling Pia, and this group helped me to get through my own struggles to cope with all of it, not only with their knowledgable answers to questions, and with suggestions for her care and her quality of life, but supporting me through my own grief as I knew my time with her was short.

I cannot express how truly grateful I will always be to this group. Thank you.
    Bonnie - Mama to Maggie, my sweet 15 year old Boston Terrier who is deaf, blind, has cardiac issues, and an occasional seizure, and to Pia my darling 8 year old French Bulldog who had a stroke at age 5, and was diagnosed with Cushings 6/11/2013 at age 8. Sadly, my sweet Pia crossed the Rainbow Bridge August 14, 2013, and my dear Maggie joined her November 29, 2013. On December 3, I am sure they brought Kelly, a homeless boxer into my life. I am forever grateful.

Thank you so much for coming back to say, Bonnie! I get to talk to you often on FB but I am sure others here will be along to chat with you!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Bonnie, thank you so very much for your kind words! It’s wonderful to see you back here once again, and to give us all the chance to remember and once again honor Pia. Her photo on our remembrance thread is just one of the sweetest ever — those beautiful, soulful eyes...surely now the eyes of an angel.

I’m so sorry about your loss of Maggie, too. But now you have Kelly in your life? I’m so glad! Any time you’d want to tell us more about Kelly, we’d love to hear ;-). But in the meantime, thanks so much for coming back and joining our party. It means a lot to us to see you here!

Best wishes always,
    Marianne

And a very good morning to all of you from The Netherlands, from Quincy and myself So glad there's this 10th anniversary reunion and do I remember that time! I came here way before 10 years ago with my Cukie (Boncuk), what a wonderful place to go to Then, everything was lost...but the group rose again like a phoenix from it's ashes and look, 10 years later, still here with still many beautiful people and their animals I do think about this group still so very often...yet never seem to make it to stop by and visit. So this reunion was the perfect oppertunity to do so and say hi Quincy and I are doing wonderful. Quincy will turn 7 in 2 months but still going strong She coincidentally just had a wart removed from her eyelid, last friday, since it was scratching her cornea and thus had to be removed. But it's the first and only event we have had so far...it's sooooo peaceful (medical wise) living with Quincy She loves her work still so much, loves her Hooperclasses (she's the Queen of Hoopers, hehehehe...), she comes with me every day to visit my mom and behaves so lovingly and kind to all the habitants and personel at the home for people suffering from dementia... she's my little, magical, happy and bright, black Polish pearl

Anyway, when I heard about this reunion, I had to drop in and say hi...

Sas and Quincy

Oh Sas, can you see me doing a happy dance right now???? It’s so great to have you back here with us today!! I’ve thought about you so many times, and hoped so much that you and Quincy were doing well. What a wonderful report on our shiny black girl. Coincidentally, Luna recently sprouted a “thingy” on her eyelid, too, and our vet said the same thing — if it starts to scratch her cornea, it’ll have to come off. So I’m trying to watch it carefully. Luna will be 11 this summer. My “baby” will be 11, and I can’t believe it. Just in the last couple of months, she has really started to age. Where has the time gone? And for Quincy to be seven, I can hardly believe that, either.

Once again, it’s wonderful to see you again.

Thanks so much for stopping by — it truly is party time!

Marianne

Oh my gosh Marianne, I remember "baby" Luna when she first came to you as a real baby...and was full of misschief And Peg, and Barkis of course... where did those years go? So many memories and beloved canines and friends are here We've all shared so much over a significant period of time, good and bad, laughter and tears...losses and gains, it will remain with me forever. And like so many times, in the past couple of years, I have to run since I got a cal from the home where my mom lives, she was walking outside last night at 04.00 and is very, very confused...so I have to go there, as I do daily. This is exactly why I can't make it to stay in touch regularly...but I will try and visit more often, just to keep in touch and say hi Thank you all so much for this reunion, it was just what I needed to stop by again Have a wonderful day all...big hugs from us,

Sas and Quincy

Oh Sas, you’re such a good daughter and I know your calming presence has to be such a gift to both your mother and also the staff at her residence. My own mom passed away on January 20th at age 99 after a short period in hospice care. It was her heart that finally failed. I’m still in the midst of sorting through her belongings and all the paperwork, and so I’ve not yet had the time to really think about how my life will look or feel, now that she’s gone. During these past few years, I had spent so much time with her at her apartment...my life will be so very different now, in so many ways. I already miss her so much. It’s hard :-(.

I’ll surely continue to think about you girls. Whenever you are able to stop by for even a quick chat or update, we’ll be so happy to see you. In the meantime, do take care and thanks again, so much, for joining our celebration.

Marianne

Great to hear from you, Sas! I try to keep up with your youtube videos of Quincy and know she is simply amazing...as is her mom! You are an angel to take such good care of your mom in this trying time...there is no doubt in my mind she is so very grateful even if she can't express that to you like she once could.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

It was awesome to hear about the reunion! I was an active member for many years - this board helped me save my little Haley from a vet that was clueless on how to test for cushings and administer drugs. She lived to 16 and her adopted sister Annie developed what they thought was cushings but ended up being a rare pheochromocytoma tumor. The love and wisdom shared by members on this board helped me keep what sanity I had left. I love you all! I've never gotten another dog - guess the extensive nursing just left me 'spent'. I am a regular babysitter to my brother's dog Lucy though. So good to know the board still exists and serves those in need. Question - what is the current drug of choice and protocol? Has it gotten any easier? Are vets more educated? I sure hope so. Sending hugs to all. Kim