Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Attitude for gratitude

Default Re: Attitude for gratitude

Great news!!! I'm so glad and pray the recovery is swift and uneventful!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Katy1, we've found Home Depot and Lowes to be very dog friendly. One had a sign on the door saying no dogs, but we snuck Henry in anyway, and every member of staff we encountered made a massive fuss of him, and some offered him treats. The greeter at our local Lowes has two cairns so always chats to us, and I was very grateful for his help the other week. Actually I find the staff in our local stores to be extra nice to me if I have Henry with me!!

Oh, my gosh, that is such good news! I had no idea these stores were pup friendly until a week ago. Now you have confirmed that it’s really true. The only public place Annie has ever been is Petsmart and she was a little overwhelmed. We will definitely have to try Home Depot here. The isles are wide and most everyone knows my hubby....Annie and I will tag along behind. Blessings to you and thanks for the information! Karen

I have so many things to be grateful for, but this one is still making me cry. Josh is graduating from 5th grade and moving onto Middle School next year. His school had their Annual Field Day this past Wednesday, they do it every year. All the grades spend the morning outside doing round robin games, there's a bouncy house, a DJ, and snacks for everyone. At the end of the morning, they give out awards to each of the classes for things like the kid with the most steps, athletic awards and academic awards. There is one that is called the Award for Courage in Physical Education.

That was given to my Josh for all his hard work in recovering from the overdosing of steroids, and fractured back, high blood pressure and excessive weight gain. He missed most of 4th grade and was tutored at home by his teachers. He had to wear a back brace and couldn't walk without a walker for about 10 months. He was so miserable. Last Summer was so uncomfortable for him. The only relief he got was in a room with the air conditioner on or in the pool.

Once his back was healed, the extra steroids were out of his body, and he could move again, he worked very hard at watching what he ate, exercising as much as was possible, and just moving. He couldn't participate in gym for the first part of this year, but eventually he was able to. He's lost almost 12 pounds, he counts his steps, he can ride his scooter and bike again, and he's off the blood pressure meds.

When the teacher called his name to come up and get his trophy, he ran to get it. I swear, there wasn't a dry eye out there on the field. The whole place cheered for him. I was sobbing and so was Jess. He was so proud. I will try to post a picture.

He's still so much smaller than most of his classmates, but hopefully the new steroid he's on will not interfere with his growth like the other one did. He's already grown an inch, so we may not have to go for growth hormones after all.

Anyway, that's what I am most grateful for this week...my beloved grandson's recovery after a horrible almost two years of pain, misery and embarrassment. He's back to his old self!
    Last edited by Joan2517; 05-24-2019 at 09:57 AM. Reason: extra word
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Amen, Joan. Amen! Tears — happy tears — are falling here, too, upon reading what you’ve shared with us.

Thank you so much!

Oh Joan, happy tears streaming down my face too!

Joan, what a wonderful tribute to your grandson’s strong spirit and his wonderful family. My happy tears are flowing for all of you. Many more blessings to you all. Karen

Today, I just feel so blessed by the presence of our little Annie. After over 45 years of pups in my life, she has been the most challenging from a physical standpoint. This little girl must have a strong will to live because she has survived the loss of her best buddy in Jan., then the diagnosis of cushings, three weeks in the vet hospital getting her regulated on the Lysodren because her blood glucose also had to be monitored closely, then she almost was lost to us when she was struck with this whole gallbladder issue. But her sisters at the bridge knew it was not her time and gave her the strength to get through thr surgery.

I am so grateful for every bark, every whine and everything I have to do to keep her going. I have no idea how long we will have her but I’m trying very hard to not worry about the future but just to be thankful for this little black and silver schnauzer who is driving me crazy every day with one demand or another. Right now, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Blessings to the best support group ever! Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 07-02-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Today I am grateful for this forum and a connection I made with the mom of another dual diagnosis pup. We are strangers in a strange land and I am looking forward to talking with her. Oh, lest I forget, I am grateful to have Annie one more day and she seems to be feeling better.

I’m so grateful that my little baby made it through this day and is sleeping peacefully beside me. She finished up her antibiotic today and I”m very thankful for that. She also made it through another Lysodren day with no problems. She’s just my little miracle. Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen