I have been slammed with grief for over two months and I don’t know where to take it in order to be able to function and take care of my newly diagnosed Cush pup. I lost my 14 yr. old min-schnauzer, Gracie, to lymphoma on 1-11-19. Two weeks after that, my 10 year old Annie was diagnosed with Cushings on top of having been diabetic for about a year. Annie is fully loaded on her Lysodren and is now on a maintenance dose of 250mg 2x a week.
I feel in many ways, I am already grieving my Annie away. I know Cushings is not a death sentence yet it’s hard for me to feel fully engaged with her and to enjoy her as I did before Gracie’s death. I’ve visited all the sites listed and read the incredible memorial postings others have written for their departed pups, and all I can do is cry.
There have been many pups in my life, each one as special and precious as the next. There was something extra special about Gracie through. I always called her my PITA ( pain in the a-- ) pup. She challenged me with every paw every day of her 14 years. However, when we brought little baby Annie home, she wrapped those paws around her new little sister and never let go and taught her what it meant to be part of our family. I know Annie misses her big sis and is grieving too. Our whole world has been turned upside down and I don’t know how to get on top of this.
My husband has been a big help and I know he’s hurting as much as I am---I just cry more. He’s not very “medical” by nature so I’ve always been the primary caregiver, and everything involved with the Lysodren just freaks me out. I know Annie feels my anxiety and I don’t want to do that to her but at the same time, I know I can’t swallow my fears.
I need to do the best I can for my little Annie—she deserves it and I just don’t know to give it to her right now.. Maybe there is someone out there who has been in a similar situation that can offer advice to help me get to a ‘new normal”. Maybe I’m just looking for the voice of reason. My blessings to all you wonderful folks. Karen