Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Cushings

Default Re: New to Cushings

Great news indeed!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Oh Leslie, the surgeon told us yesterday after her surgery that he would be giving her something to actually give her a boost of cortisol to help her along. I’m just amazed at the level of care our little Annie is receiving. Yes, for many people it’s very expensive and I make no judgements on choices that have to be made—because whatever choice we make for our pups will always be the right one for you you’re pup and your family. I’ve been forced to make the tough decisions in my past and it’s gut wrenching hard. I just feel so blessed right now that she is recovering and if we should have her for only a short time post all this, it was still worth it. No regrets. Blessings to you all and your pups.Karen
    I

I just want you all out there in whatever part of the world you reside, we all understand, their are no judgements and you will do the best for pups however you can.

I will be very honest about Annie’s surgery. Yes, it was very risky and very expensive. Most people would have elected to put their pup down. We have never had official pet insurance but we always put money away in case we needed it—and wow, three angel pups later,we exceeded our limit. Annie may be our last pup,which is very sad for us, but somehow we were able to pull out all the stops for our little one and give her a second chance at life, for as long as we have her.

So, so, so grateful to read your updates, Karen! As soon as my eyes open each morning, I grab my iPad and rush here to see what’s happening. I pray that Annie will continue to grow stronger today, and that tomorrow you’ll be bringing her back home again. I’m guessing today may crawl by way too slowly for you, but we’ll be trusting that each hour that passes will continue to fuel your baby’s recovery.

Hugs of healing comfort being sent to you all three!
    Marianne

Been thinking of you guys all day, and surely hoping that things are going as smoothly as possible.

Continuing hugs and prayers heading your way...

Greetings to all and good news to share. Our little Annie is finally home! The surgeon released her this morning and we drove to Chicago to pick her up and we were home by four this afternoon. We also came home with a full pharmacopoeia of goodies.

I was really worried because I was instructed to give her the Lysodren when I fed her this evening. She was also supposed to have a pain med, an antibiotic, and now I can't remember the last one....all with her food. She wobbled out soon after she heard the can opener. I started her out with just a quarter of what she normally eats and she basically inhaled it along with a couple of the pills. When she finished, she looked at her empty plate--looked up at me---looked at her empty plate, then looked up at me. Well, she got a second course along with her lysodren and that other pill. After she snarfed the second helping, her eyes looked up at me and said, "more mom". Well, I didn't want to overdo a good thing but she did get a small third helping and then I could tell she was done. I got her outside and she did her business, got her back inside before the pain med hit her and knocked her out for the evening.

She will have the staples out in 10-14 days by our regular doc so we don't have to go back to the clinic in Chicago unless something happens that he can't handle. We are not out of the woods yet but we're off to a very hopeful start. I don't think I could have made it through this without my new cushpup family. Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen.

Awww, what great, great news for sure!!

Surely hoping that things just get better and better from this point onward. Please give our brave little girl some big pats from her family here!

That's such good news, Karen! I'm so happy for you!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh YAY!!! I was so hoping to hear from you today and the news is just wonderful! A healthy appetite after surgery is a good thing in my mind and I pray her recover is swift and uneventful from here on out.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Oh, Leslie, I ‘ve been thinking about you. I think you are one of a handful of people on this forum who has experience with Lysodren. It seems like everyone else has their pup or pups on trilostaine(sp?). In fact, the internist at the specialty clinic in Chicago was trying to talk me into switching Annie to trilostaine. I was paying for her advice by the second so I didn’t get into it with her. So far and #1—- I’m just thankful that I could bring Annie home alive. This may sound morbid, but we took a large cooler with us in case she didn’t make it through the surgery and we would have to pack her in ice to bring her home for cremation. I know that sounds so morbid, but she was so sick and I was just planning for the worst

Basically, she seems to be tolerating the Lysodren ok and my vet is not comfortable with trilostaine. Any advice on the topic? Blessings to you and your pups. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 04-23-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Hi Everyone,

I almost hate to say this but we’re having another good day. I felt so overwhelmed with all the drugs the clinic sent home with Annie, I wasn’t sure I could figure it all out.

The hubby had to go fishing this week and I’m sincerely happy that he finally got to do something for himself. He is the best doggie dad ever and doesn’t even blink an eye when I say the dreaded words,”we need to go to the vet”.

My little patient Annie is currently out cold on the Lazy Boy couch beside me. She has just been so good and seems to even understand her restrictions—-like no jumping, no running...the usual post surgery stuff. If she needs a drink of water and she’s on the couch, she will just sit up and look at me. That is my cue to gently lift her off and after her drink, if she wants back on the couch, she will walk toward it but not even attempt to jump and wait for me to lift her back up.

I hate e-collars but Annie has needed a soft one to keep her from licking her line of staples. She is slowly adapting to that. Before this emergency surgery, we had been preparing her for cataract surgery on May 17th. You won’t believe the phone call I received yesterday afternoon.

The call was from Annie’s ophthalmologist’s office. We have had to postpone this surgery twice and now I was going to have to do it again. The universe always has it’s own plans.

The Doc had to have foot surgery last week and had run into some complications. I told the receptionist what had happened with Annie and she almost couldn’t believe it because the specialty clinic where Annie was and the hospital where her eye doctor is are jut a few miles from each other. Anyway, we will tackle the cataracts in the future.

This morning, after Annie’s breakfast, She had to go outside. I carried her down the one step and placed her paws on the wet grass. She didn’t move for probably 3 minutes as. I shivered in my bathrobe watching her. It rained last night and I’m just guessing that the cool damp grass felt good on her feet.

Joan and I have a discussion going on my gratitude thread regarding the value of a really good poop in a pup so I won’t rehash that here. Anyway, after Annie did her business, I got my phone and went out to take a pic to show the vet on Thursday.

We have been through some major struggles lately, but I can’t help but think that our angel Gracie has had a paw in the extraordinary recovery of her baby sis.

I’m getting ready to call the specialty clinic in Chicago to see if they have any results from the biopsies they took during the surgery. Thank you all again for keeping us in your thoughts. You have no idea how much it means—-well, I take that back because you do know. Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen