Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Cushings

Default Re: New to Cushings

Annie was out of surgery about one and visited with the surgeon. He was pleased with how everything went but reminded us that the real work was just beginning. We are now on guard for the next 72 hours. He was very glad that we got her here when we did. Evidently. Her little gallbladder had ballooned to the size of a small grapefruit and could have burst at any time.

We were able to go back into the ICU right away and she was already starting to regain her bearings. She has a special warmer in her cage, a feeding tube so they can get groceries in her as soon as they feel she’s ready. She recognized my voice and looked up at me. Tears of joy have been flowing all afternoon! We just gave her a quick pat on the head and then got out of everybody’s way so the techs could do their job. I ‘ve never seen that many people fuss over a pup. There had to be six people assigned to her at that time. We will have to mortgage the 4 grandkids to pay for this one but knowing that we were able give her a new lease on life was worth every penny. The alternative was not acceptable.

That’s the update. We’ll stay over one more night, go home late tomorrow and come back for the day on Sunday. Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 04-18-2019 at 05:20 PM.

I'm so relieved that she made it through the surgery. I have been trying to distract myself all day. Praying that she will continue to recover....
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

So glad to hear that Annie pulled throught the surgery. You are doing all you can for her. Baby steps now. Many of us have spent our family's inheritance and then some, on our fur babies. We do what we can.

Hanging with you as Annie continues to fight.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Thank goodness!!!!!! And now we take things one step at a time, but the first milestone is now behind us.

Oh, I also was able to visit with an internist today who was assigned to Annie’s case. She was supposed to get her Lysodren on Wednesday but that didn’t happen and she told me not to worry about missing the one dose and she will monitor Annie very carefully and may readjust her Lysodren days depending on when she starts eating on her own. She “promised me that I would not have to suffer a “reload” again, at least not on her watch. That made me feel much better. She also told me to ignore the stim test that was on Monday before she got sick because her numbers would have been all over the place.She did suggest that we have it repeated as soon as the rest of her numbers look normal.

Jerry and I got to visit her in their ICU this evening. We we able to get down on the floor and through all her drugs, she recognized our voices and stood up on wobbly legs and the vet tech said that was a very good sign. Once again, the tears of joy are flowing freely. We’ll spend some time with her, only if it’s for five minutes , before we head home tomorrow. Everyone enjoy a blessed weekend. Karen

Such good news! It sounds like she is in great hands and will be back home recovering soon. One day at a time...I have to keep reminding myself that I just need to tackle one day at a time.

Oh that is indeed such good news! And the internist is spot-on re: that ACTH test — the numbers will likely be quite unreliable given how ill Annie was at the time. So don’t even give them any thought at all. It’s great that the internist is on Annie’s case. That gives us all so much more peace of mind!

Marianne

What great news this morning!! Way to go, Annie girl! (and mom and dad!) The IMS is spot on....that ACTH is worthless and she doens't need the Lyso right now anyway...it might make her sick at her tummy and that is not what she needs at all right now. So waiting is good. Even if her cortisol does elevate a bit that can be gotten back under control pretty easily most of the time so don't worry about that. I am just so happy to read your updates. YAY!!!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi, Just a quick update on Annie. We visited her at the specialty clinic in Chicago this morning before making the two hour drive home. We expected to be taken back to the ICU to see her but low and behold, they led us into an exam room and shortly after, in waddles Annie on all fours lugging her little heart monitor power pack on her back and still sporting the feeding tube in her nose. We just cried for joy and spent a few minutes loving all over her on the floor before she was led back to her special cage. They are weaning her off the heavy duty IV pain meds and keeping all fluids and blood pressure in check.

She is starting to eat baby food and a few small bites of chicken. They are going to let her eat anything she wants and regulate her insulin as needed. Not sure when she’ll receive her next dose of lyso. I’m sure I ‘ll be given a boatload of instructions regarding her insulin and any changes in regulation of the Lysodren when she is released.

She will need to be on a very low fat diet once she is home. The doc said she eventually wanted her back on the Glycobalance which I was glad to hear.

Annie may be well enough to come home on Sunday or Monday. She has had no complications so far but I think we got her there in time and were very lucky. So far, she is our little miracle pup in spite of all the strikes against her. Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen

That is such good news, Karen. This is hitting so close to home for me that I am hyperventilating.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.