Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: New to Cushings

Default Re: New to Cushings

I second what Marianne had to say - IF the BG is well controlled *and* her signs are well controlled I'd leave things as they are for now. But I do have a question - while she was in boarding did the vet/techs make sure her Lyso was given with food? If not, then it wasn't absorbed well enough to work on the cortisol and in that case I certainly would not increase right now. I would make sure the med was given with food then retest in a few more weeks.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Oh wow, It just seems like forever since I’ve posted here. Update on Annie—we are still juggling about 5 ballls in the air but non have yet dropped. Doc increased her Lysodren to 250mg three times per week and we will do another stim test in a month plus a glucose curve. Her cataracts are still at stable status for which I’m thankful. I don’t remember who yelled at me and told me to just go with the flow if she was showing no symptoms. Thank you—I think it was you Kathy.

Leslie to answer your question regarding boarding feeding. Yes, they always make Annie a dog food ball with her Lysodren inside and she just snarf’s it up with the rest of her food.

I do have a serious question—-why has the price of Lysodren doubled in the past few months? I’m having trouble finding it for less than $15.00 per pill. Can anyone chime in on that. With her increased dose now I just can’t believe the cost. I think Annie is the only active Cush pup on Lysodren here as far as I know, but If anyone has a reference to a less expensive supplier, I would really appreciate the information. When I’ve looked myself most other sites other than Chewyk are sold out and chewy is the most expensive. Ugh! Well, anyway, I offer blessings to you all and your pups for a safe weekend. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 09-21-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Hi Karen, and thanks for the update. In answer to your question about Lysodren, here’s a link to a thread that Leslie posted last year re: Bristol-Myers-Squibb’s divestiture of the manufacture of Lysodren. Direct Success Pharmacy is now the sole U.S. distributor of brand name Lysodren. If you’re still able to purchase from Chewy, you must be getting some leftover batches of previous BMS product runs. Presumably due to the lack of competition, the price may continue to increase even further. One alternative that Leslie discusses is switching to a compounded version of the medication. Take a look at what she has written here:

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...odren-shortage

https://www.directsuccessinc.com/dir...ccess-pharmacy

Marianne

Ok, we for found an on -line set called allivet that was selling Lysodren for 6.50 per tablet so we ordered 60 and our vet authorized the purchase. Who knows, Annie might make inti the record books, we just take a bard at a time and feel so blessed that she is still with us —- and I know that her older sis Gracie would approve..

Hi again, Karen, and that’s great that you’ve found a less expensive supply. Here’s one cautionary note, though — do check the expiration date of the medication when it arrives to make sure it is still “good.” At that price, I’m guessing that it must still be left over from an original Bristol-Myers-Squibb production run, so it may be approaching the end of its expiration period. I know that the effectiveness of many medications far exceed the listed expiration date, but still, you will want to make sure that you’re within at least a reasonable time frame.

Marianne

Hi Marianne, Actually, that’s the first question I asked when I ordered ...you know the old saying......anyway we received it yesterday and the expiration date is a year and god willing, Annie will still be with us. Blessings to you all. Karen

Just a quick update on our Annie, doing fine outwardly but she is scheduled for a glucose curve tomorrow and a stim test on Wednesday——will update when I have numbers. I’m always waiting for the next iceberg to fall. That’s my problem not her’s. Since her gallbladder was removed in April, she is a totally different dog. I don’t know how the cushings plays into this,which is probably nothing—-but for right now, she acts like she’s 5 instead of 11. We are so blessed. Blessings to you all....it’s been long. Karen

Hi Karen! How nice to see you girls back again, and with such a good update :-). Of course we’ll be anxious to review Annie’s test results with you, but especially at her age, her outward appearance and behavior are hugely important, as well. I’m so glad to hear she’s doing good! Thanks for stopping by this morning, and we’ll be watching for further info.

Marianne

Hi Karen,

What a great update on Annie! Acting 6 years younger is a real blessing and one I hope continues for some time to come. That gall bladder must have been making her feel pretty rotten and I'm glad she has perked up.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Last week Annie had both a stim test and a glucose curve done. Her stim test results were: prre 1.something and her post was 11. Now to many of you that would look like a train wreck! Well her last post stim was 17 and I was scared so we added another half tablet of Lysodren to her regimen. Now she on 1/2 tab three times a week.

Now here’s the kicker. Her glucose curve was the most stable it’s ever been since we started this journey. I won’’t post all the numbers but when I talked with doc she said that even though her post stim is high, Annie has finally reached a balance between her Lysodren and her insulin. She is also maintaining a healthy weight of 16.5 lbs. for a miniature schnauzer.

The most important thing is how she is acting. She is a completely new pup! She runs, jumps,�� barks and wants to play. I really think getting her gallbladder out was the key to the puzzle. Don’t forget the little girl is 11 years old. Oh I forgot to mention that her cataracts are stable and we have her on eye drops and a salve twice a day. She is physically a hot mess now under control.

Annie has never really acted like a “typical “ cushings pup with the exception of the initial typical symptoms. I just feel. So blessed that she is still with us. That’s the news for now. Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 11-04-2019 at 10:44 AM.