Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Cushings

Default Re: New to Cushings

Leslie,

I am honored beyond belief to be invited into the “Twitcher Team”. I will wear my button with pride in the secure knowledge that I indeed am not alone in my eccentricities and total obsession with my fur baby and her total well being over my own. This will make me smile all day. Thanks for that. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 03-14-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Greetings to All,
    Now we have a new problem. For the past two days, Annie has not wanted to eat her breakfast. She is on Glycobalance, one can a day divided between her two meals. Yesterday, I ended up sprinkling some ground up freeze dried chicken breast on top, and this morning, I used just a little bit of baby food turkey in broth and she picked around at that for awhile and finally ate everything. I'm scared to death for tomorrow though because it's her Lyso med day. I feel a call to the vet coming on as I type. My double concern is that she has been a diabetic for over a year. I’ve already left a post over on the k9Diabetes site.

My big fear is that she may be getting a bit too much Lyso and it has really suppressed her food drive. Annie has never missed a meal in her life, even after bouts of HGE earlier in her life.

Take care everyone and wish us luck. Karen

I'm glad you have posted on the diabetes forum. Sometimes once the cortisol comes back to a more normal range the insulin needs to be decreased but I will leave that to the experts on our sister site. I wouldn't expect the cortisol to have dropped too low in the last few days since she saw the vet but that is always a possibility so keep an eye out for other signs such as loose stools/diarrhea or nausea/vomiting. Let us know how things are going when you can!
    Hugs
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Leslie,

Well, I cried all the way to the vets office at 3 o’clock this afternoon. I cried the whole time doc was telling me that Annie was doing ok. He ran a bg quick test and an electrolyte panel. He told me he could tell that she was not overdosed on Lysodren and totally understood my concern and tears. Doc knows I’m a crier and mostly a hot mess if I feel my baby is having a crisis or not. He gave me a hug, told me I was doing more for my baby than most of his parents would( still not sure how I feel about that ). Anyway, Sunday is her med day, and doc said if she doesn’ want to eat—don’t stress, just let her plate sit for an hour or so, if she doesn’t eat, no Lysodren or insulin and. she will still be alive at the end of the day and to call him whenever I needed to. I do not abuse that privilege. Thanks for listening, Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen

I'm a crier too, Karen. Sometimes when I get there I am totally incoherent and can't even tell them what's wrong! They are used to it....the fear of not knowing what is wrong, even if you KNOW something is wrong is frightening. If only they could let us know so we don't have to guess.

The first night Lena was in the ER, I couldn't speak at all. I just sobbed through the whole evaluation with the doctor. I sobbed when I told her goodnight and left her. I screamed and cried the whole way home. The next day when I picked her up, I didn't have a voice and my eyes were so swollen from crying that I was afraid she wouldn't recognize me. Then when it happened again that night I couldn't even cry. I was totally in shock.

Some people are better at handling these situations. I don't happen to be one of them...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

You're doing really well, Karen. Our "breast cancer" scare was nearly 4 years into Squirt's diagnosis and you have just started this journey so don't feel bad at all for the twitching or tears...they are perfectly normal!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Ok, I know it’s early this am where I am and I’m a basket case because my sweet little Annie is going in today for a dental cleaning under anesthesia. I’m so paranoid over this little pup, my hubby is about ready to put me out of my misery. Is this the twitcher team i’m speaking to? Between the Cushings and the diabetes forums, I’ve gotten lost, mis-placed my brain or lost it altogether. Blessings to you all and your brains. Crazy Karen

Yep, this is the twitcher team, alright! I’m up early, too, although you’ve got me beat by a couple of hours... I’ve got to take my senior nonCushpup Lab girl in to be seen first thing this morning for a weird growth on her eyelid that we just spotted this weekend. I know it will need to come off, and I’m just hoping it’s nothing bad. They’ll probably want to schedule a dental at the same time. They won’t do it today — this will just be the assessment. But I hate to even take her in for this part, because it’ll get the ball rolling. And just like you, I hate to think of her going under anesthesia and having anything done at all :-((((((.

So I’ll surely be thinking of you girls today and wishing you well. I know what a long day this will be for you. Come back any time to update us, OK??? We’ll be watching for you!

Big twitchy hugs coming across the miles to you,
    Matianne

Huge loving and calming hugs from me as well! I know how worried you must be about sweet Annie and we are here for you.

More (((Hugs))) Lori

Me too! I always get worried when they need anesthesia. I obsess over it for days! Lena and Doree went in at the same time when Lena was 14 and Doree was 11. Lena was getting dental work and Doree was finally being spayed. I went to work and was very unproductive. I was sure Lena would not do well because of her age, this was before we even knew she had Cushing's. My husband picked them up and when I got home from work I was sure Lena would be curled up in one of the beds totally out of it. Well, she didn't even come to greet me, she was so busy eating even though she had 11 teeth removed. She handled it just fine.

Turned out that Doree needed me more. I spent two days on the couch with her trying to keep her comfortable.

I'll be waiting for your news too!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.