Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Cushings

Default Re: New to Cushings

Thanks to all for the virtual hugs and well wishes for our dental day. I called the clinic to let them know she was on her way, reminded them that Annie needed her eye drops and salves administered during the day. and asked what time she was scheduled for her procedure. I should not have done that because I was told the staff was having a “career” day this morning and Doc wouldn’t get to Annie until this afternoon.

So now I have a big blanket piled on top of me while I think of my little baby stuck in the cage without any water or food, and no one around for company except her lamb chop snuggle toy. I think I really need to consider therapy again. I’m sure she will be fine—and I’ll keep that mantra going until she’s home. Hugs and blessings to all.Karen

Oh Marianne, Gracie had one of those eyelid cysts a couple of years ago. I let it go too long and it finally popped on it’s own and bled all night. Of course, the hubby was on a fishing trip at the time, so I sat up with Gracie all night holding a hand towel over her eye. We have no ER vet here so Gracie and I, Annie rode shotgun, were at the vet office to help them open up at 7:30 that morning. Doc took her right into surgery and was able to remove it. I don’t remember what he called it just that it was benign. You and your pup will be in my thoughts today. Let us all know how it went. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 03-19-2019 at 10:39 AM.

OK, Karen, counting the hours right alongside you! We’re back home, and yes it sounds like this is the same kind of eyelid thing as Gracie’s. Vet said it’s a benign plugged-up eyelid gland thingy (of course he gave a genuine technical name, but I’ve already forgotten it ;-). He said it may possibly shrivel back up on its own, especially after we treat it with some eye drops. But if not, it will need to come off if it starts irritating her eye at all. And he also said for us not to poke at it or else it’ll bleed all over — just like Gracie’s. So we’ll try the drops, but if that doesn’t help, it’ll be a removal and also a dental for our Luna. At least I can relax for today, though, and focus my attention on you guys! So keep the updates coming...

Annie is home and is currently snoozing on the couch! I was thrown for a small loop. When the office called and said she was ready to be picked up, I grilled the poor new receptionist, who obviously hadn't been warned about me, about Annie's dental procedure and she told me that everything went well. Not good enough for me, so as I am in the middle of a little fit of a thousand and one questions, she said "i'll let you talk to one of the techs". Bless my hubby's head today in spite of his non-comforting comment this morning, he told them to call me at home and give me all the info. They called right away after he left with Annie and told me she was having some diarrhea and I asked about feeding, her insulin and if I should give her the Lysodren tomorrow am. She answered all my questions. And now the bombshell. When my little baby wobbled in followed by the hubby, he handed me the report sheet along with a copy of her dental x-rays which said: EXTRACTION At this point I'm thinking WTH? Nobody told me she had to have a tooth pulled, does she need to be on an antibiotic? I tried to call back an no one answered. so I left a message for someone to call me whenever they could. Hubby told me the tooth basically fell out on it's own during the procedure---just why could no one tell me after i asked an was told no teeth removed, everything was fine, yada,yada,yada.......Yes i'm ranting right now, but this is a safe place to do that, i'm asking for your patience as I dial myself down. ok big deep breath.....

Hahaha! You sound just like me! Only I would've called the emergency number and insisted on a call back. They must hate me...who cares. I spend thousands of dollars there and I expect them to respond to me whether I am being a nervous Nellie or a normal person. If not I will find one who will. I have four dogs, and will probably always have dogs...they won't want to lose my money.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hey Marianne, I'm very thankful for your news and you are such great parents to get on top of this right away. Gracie's happened like overnight, but in reality and hindsight being 20/20 LIFE got in the way of me taking excellent care of my forever Gracie. Doc did an excellent job with her surgery. I was so terrified she might loose one of her beautiful eyes--but it worked out well and she eventually grew back her long eyelashes. I hope the eye drops work for your big girl. Geez-- I miss our lab right now. Sable was my hubby's first experience into dogdome and she was a challenge until I came along and eventually got him on track. Now, you couldn't find a better pup pop anywhere. Luna is so loved. Blessings to all. Karen It's been a really long day.
    Last edited by Katy1; 03-19-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Hi Joan, I just typed something and then it just disappeared. Annie is still sleeping off her anesthesia, still has a little diarrhea but is drinking from her water bowl when awake. I don't think she is going to eat tonight and I don't know what to do about her insulin. Maybe nothing? Any suggestions from anyone out there? I know this is not the diabetes forum but I'm too tired to switch over. Such is the life with a dual diagnosis pup.

I am not knowledgeable about Diabetes, Karen (at least not yet). Someone will point you to the right direction.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

How is Annie doing today? It's not uncommon for them to have a bit of diarrhea after a dental...some of mine had it every time! It must have something to do with the anesthesia. I'm sorry no one got back to you about the insulin question but most of us don't have that experience so we are hesitant to offer input on things like that. We got your back on Cushing's tho!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi All, sorry to bother you earlier but I was in my usual ”what do I do now” mode. Annie was supposed to get groomed today, but after her stress from the dental yesterday, compounded by the fact that today was her Lysodren day, I called early and rescheduled her for next week. She is so woolly and doesn’t even look like a miniature schnauzer anymore. But I didn't want her stressed any more then necessary. Sorry this is short--I'm just exhausted and need to figure out how to take care of myself.
    Last edited by Katy1; 03-20-2019 at 04:17 PM.