Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: New to Cushings

Default Re: New to Cushings

I appreciate the reality check.......but i’m Still unglued from what Marianne spellled out to me as far as her stim numbers are concerned. My main doc is on vacation but I have an appointment with his other doc on Friday afternoon, with the baby in tow.

Actually. Dr. Elizabeth is much easier for me to discuss these issues with. Doc takes things personally even though I try to soften the blow. Dr.Elizabeth is the one who helped my beloved Gracie cross the bridge. She is very soft spoken but is able to get her the main point across. I’m looking forward to Friday for answers. I’ll let you know the outcome of our consultation. Blessings to you all. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 08-01-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Karen, I hope you have a really fruitful conversation with Dr. Elizabeth tomorrow. And although I know it’s hard, try not to fret unduly about the stim numbers. You’ve reported that Annie is outwardly looking good and behaving normally, so this is not an emergency situation. One way or the other, you can once again reduce the level of circulating cortisol. Perhaps just increasing her maintenance dose will do the job, and that would be an easy “fix.”

Hoping today is another good day for you two and, again, wishing you well tomorrow.

Marianne

Marianne, et all..

Dr. Elizabeth and I had a great discussion this afternoon. She spent almost 45 minutes with us. She had to get caught up on Annie’s everything plus today is Annie’s 11th birthday— she couldn’t have any treats but everyone came through to give her an ear scratch or a paw shake or a head pat. It was was a quiet day in the office and I was grateful.

We went through her stim test history and Elizabeth agreed that Annie probably could use a “Lysodren booster” to get her numbers back in control. She decided to add an additional 125mg to her regimen which will now change from twice a week administration to three.

Her last Lysodren pill was on Wednesday of this week. Tomorrow we will start a new schedule. Tomorrow, she will get the quarter tablet of 125mg., then Monday and Wednesday of next week she will get her reg. dose of 250 mg.

Annie will be boarded with them at the end of the month and they will run another stim test at that time to see if there is improvement. I really hope we caught this little “flair” in time to make a difference.

I also had her check her blood pressure and heart murmur. The murmur has changed sounds to both doc’s but they both tell me that it’s not bad just a different sound.

I feel like I paid for some peace of mind today. I also asked dr Elizabeth how many cushings pups they were monitoring. I got the biggest eye rolls from both Elizabeth and the tech in the room with us. Thay both told me they had many,many cushings patients on meds but many more pups they knew were positive for cushings but their parents did not want to pay for the testing so they were on just “supportive” therapy.

It was a relief to know that Annie is not the only one and for now, we will maintain the status quo and see what happens with the increase in Lysodren. I also know where I can receive higher level help if need be.

My baby turned 11 today and I rejoice in the fact she is still with us. Blessings to you all. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 08-03-2019 at 03:36 AM.

Happy 11th Birthday, Annie!!!

Annie says Thank you for thinking of her on her special day! Blessings, Karen

Happy birthday, Annie!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

HAPPY 11th BIRTHDAY, ANNIE!!
    AND MANY MORE!!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi everyone! Annie and her dad and I have been mia for a few weeks because everything was going ok. Now I’m not sure it is.

She was boarded at her vets for a few days and during that time, she had a stim test done because we upped her Lysodren the first week of August. I called doc’s office today and was told that her her pre test number was 3 and her post was 12.3. I made an appointment with doc for next Thursday afternoon.

It’s evident to me that her minor increase of Lysodren at 125mg was not enough. The only thing is she is acting so normal in her new normal world.

Marianne, please advise if you’re home from your trip. I also invite any and all advice from anyone out there. Blessings to you all. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 09-06-2019 at 08:23 PM.

This is EVERYTHING!!! I am by no means an expert. I have lost beLoved fur babies and have had my heart shattered. If I were you, I wouldn't change a thing, and would ride out the ACTING NORMAL coaster for as long as the ride lasts. I would be ever so grateful to stay on that ride FOREVER!

So, to sum it up, the numbers would be meaningless to me. Our pups are ill. There is no cure for Cushings, except for surgery in rare cases. So acting normal would be a true blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy1 View Post
    The only thing is she is acting so normal in her new normal.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Hi Karen, I’m not really “back” yet, and unfortunately I only have a few minutes to write tonight. But in my opinion, whether or not Annie’s rising cortisol needs to be addressed more aggressively probably depends on two questions: has her glucose level stabilized at an acceptable level, and are her Cushing’s symptoms being adequately controlled? If the answer to both those questions is “yes,” then it seems to me there is less urgency in aggressively reducing her cortisol level. However, the wild card is that if you don’t intervene in any manner to put a lid on the rejuvenation of her adrenal tissue, a reload at some point in the future may be inevitable. However, “some point in the future” may not necessarily be right now if she’s otherwise doing well.

Marianne