Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Cushings

Default Re: New to Cushings

Talk about a nervous Nellie, I would have kept Annie in the pen for a few weeks longer. It's easiler to keep them there, than starting all over if the need should arise. However, I do tend to be overcautious.

Regarding spa day.....Was Annie cleared for a bath? It's possible that her incision is still very tender and trying to bathe her might have smarted a little. If you are going to check with the vets about activity restrictions, you might want to ask about bathing also.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 05-05-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Kathy, Annie was totally cleared for bathing and anything else. I know, totally understand and appreciate your train of thought. Been there myself over the years, I check her tummy scar about 3 times a day—it’s still sloughing off dead tissue. I’ve always been of a medical mindset and I gently cleanse her incision with CVS wound wash. I’m such a germ-a- phobe by nature nothing gets past me if I can help it. Just drives my husband nuts because he was raised in a totally different environment. Right now, my concern with her is her occasional panting. She is scheduled for a stim test on Tuesday. BLessing’s to you for your concern and input. Karen

A stim test would help you sort out Annie's panting. Is it pain related, uncontrolled cushings, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Katy1 View Post
    Kathy, Right now, my concern with her is her occasional panting. She is scheduled for a stim test on Tuesday.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Karen, I just want to make sure you saw the reply I posted to you yesterday re: your question about a possible connection between spay/neuter and Cushing’s. It ended up at the bottom of the preceding page of your thread here, so you may not have noticed it ;-). If you want to discuss the issue further, we can certainly do so.

Marianne

Marianne, yes, I did read your reply but I still have more questions. We can forget about the Becker article because she really only addresses the atypical cushings which has nothing to do with Annie at all. We are now moving forward towards a possible new baby sister for Annie and as I mentioned before, there is a site that lists vets state by state who are now performing alternative sterilization surgeries which leaves the pup intact with all their hormones but cannot reproduce. wish I could have had that choice at age 40 when I had to have a complete hysterectomy and had to take HRT for years!

I ‘ll just restate my main question for anyone thinking about adopting another pup. Does this approach to partial sterilization really make a difference in the long run? Just throwing this out into the universe because I’ve never heard of this before. Blessings to you all. Karen

I know adopting from a shelter or rescue is totally different because of laws which they must follow.

I’ll be interested in hearing feedback from others, too, Karen. I vacillate between feeling like I’m too old for another puppy and fantasizing about life with a new little guy or girl — I guess only time will tell which side wins out! But as I wrote before, I’ve been out of the puppy loop for so long that I have no idea as to current thinking about spay/neuter options or recommendations. So I’ll be watching for any related comments here, too.

Marianne

It's hard work, but worth it! I love Sibbie with all my heart and just wish I had had more time grieving so I could have paid more attention to her. It hurts me sometimes to think that here was this little baby, who managed to keep herself busy while I cried on the couch for weeks.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh Joan, I don't think I had the time I needed to really grieve Gracie before we had the cushings bomb drop on us with Annie and then the double 1-2 punch with Annie's gallbladder surgery. One of these days, I'll get back on my grief thread and unleash a river! I think the puppy thoughts have been a self made diversion, although it has made me smile to think of the possibilities. The reality is, and I have to echo Marianne's comments regarding feeling like I have been out of the puppy business for too long to start over. We are also seriously considering a move back to Kansas City where the four grandchildren are. I miss them so much and only get to see them once or twice a year. It just wouldn't be prudent to bring a new pup into an unstable environment. Moving on to other stuff, Annie did have a stim test this morning but I don't have any results yet. Tomorrow, she goes in all day for a BG curve. We are slowly getting back on track with this little baby. Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen

I got the results of Annie's stim test this afternoon and here are the numbers. Doc said she was doing ok and he seemed a bit miffed that he had to pull up her file and print the results out for me...but hey, I really don't care.

The following is what was printed out and the labeling doesn't make sense to me so maybe someone can help me interrupt these numbers and provide some feedback.

Cortisol Sample 1 0.6 1.0--5.0 mg/dL Low

Cortisol Sample 2 6.4 8.0--17.0 mg/dL Low

It's obvious to me that she is under the normal range but I really don't understand how low a pup has to be before one needs to panic. I asked him about the low range and he told me she was where she needed to be and didn't seem to be concerned. Her first stim way back in March after she was "loaded" on Lysodren was 1.something, sorry, can't remember and don't know where the paper is right now.

I know most of you don't have experience with Lysodren however I'll accept any and all comments. She is slowly gaining weight since her surgery so that's good and most importantly, she has a good attitude toward everything. Friday, she goes in for a much needed grooming and I know that she will be prancing around the house after that. Blessings to you all. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 05-09-2019 at 01:50 AM.

A dog being treated with Lysodren the ideal range is 1 ug/dl-5 ug/dl, so her post of 6.4 ug/dl is a little high BUT since she is recovering from surgery her body probably needs that extra bit cortisol, at least for right now. How is her appetite and drinking?

Lori