Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 13 year old dog with "Cushings Light" (words the vet used)- Jackson gained his wings

Default Re: 13 year old dog with "Cushings Light" (words the vet used)

Dear Julie,

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Jackson and my heart goes out to you and your family. Please know we are here for you and truly do understand the pain you are feeling. Sending tons of loving hugs your way.

With Heartfelt Sympathy, Lori

Marianne,

Thank you for the kind words of support. I know so many of us here know the pain of losing a much loved pet. I recently started going through pictures so I can memorialize him at home and I will definitely find a favorite to send to share on this site.

Keep doing what you guys do. It is such a valuable resource.

Julie

Thank you so much Lori. I felt like I was coping a bit better last week but my husband left to go out of town last night. It is my first long stretch of time in the house alone without my boy and it’s really quiet and lonely. I do truly appreciate this site and everyone’s support. I know time will heal my heart and my tears will become smiles when I think of my Jackson.

It does take time to heal one's heart after losing your furbaby, please do not ever feel that you have to rush your grieving. We are here to listen and to virtually hold your hand. Come talk to us whenever you want.

(((Hugs)))
    Lori

Hi Julie,
    I haven’t checked this site for maybe over a year and was so sad to read of Jax’s passing. I know how hard it was for you and your husband and I hope the wonderful memories of your “boy” will replace these painful days soon. We are still in Spring Valley and Annie is still with us. Take care and Blessings to your family. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 03-29-2021 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Dear Julie,

I am just so sorry to learn of our precious Jackson's passing. He had such a wonderful life with you, one he could not have had with anyone else I am positive. You gave him the safe place he needed and a love that will last thru eternity. My beloved Squirt has been gone almost 7 years and at times I still go thru those terrible "what ifs", questioning nearly everything I did and didn't do over her 16 years and more times than not finding plenty to feel guilty about even tho in my heart of hearts I know it's not deserved. Those thoughts and times are part and parcel of grief and for me they ebb and flow always. Please don't let those thoughts get the better of you either; you deserve that no more than I. Jackson knows you did all you could for him and he left this life carrying the love and security you gave him in his heart. One day you will see him again, I firmly believe this, and when that day comes the two of you will never again be parted.

Please know we are here anytime you need to talk....we do understand.
    My deepest sympathies,
    Leslie

TAKE JOY IN.....OLD DOGS

Their joys are simple. A soft bed. A scrap fallen from the table that the younger dogs missed. The memory of a treed squirrel. A stormless night.

White whiskered faces and legs crooked as question marks.

Old Dogs…their sweet Buddha bellies hang over crossed legs as they fall asleep in a coveted patch of sun. Dreaming of out-racing their shadows down long, shady lanes.

Once they danced by your side. The very definition of joy unleashed. A perfect poem caught in shining eyes and wagging tails. They have followed you faithfully for years. And would plunge into fires, untamed wildernesses, raging waters if you asked.

Now, they struggle to catch up. Their pace slow but their hearts still valiant.

Their cloudy eyes are starting to dim and go distant, tuning in to some invisible world. Just beyond your reach.

Don't go you say, as you scratch the tender part between their ears. Stay longer. I can't imagine a world without your fur pressed close to my cheek. There are still so many roads we haven't explored.

And they look up at you with a wisdom that just slays you.

Their backs are bent, not from the weight of years, but from the invisible wings they are growing

That will soon take them to a place where once more they are warriors of speed

Drunk with the sights and scents of a thousand meadows.

Able to leap high enough to touch the wing of the tiniest butterfly.

A place where they will now wait for you to catch up.

by Donna Swajeski
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Karen, good to hear from you and so glad to hear Annie is doing well. Thank you for your kind words. I am still struggling with Jackson’s loss. My logical side knows that he wasn’t living he was just existing but then I question if there was more we could have done for him. I don’t think our vet was very knowledgeable about Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (CCD). I found a Facebook group for CCD support and I now know there are more prescriptions and supplements we could have tried but who knows if his liver could have handled all of that. I need to stop beating myself up. Any additional time we would of had with him still wouldn’t have been enough or made that final day any easier. Take care and give your little Annie some extra love from me.
    Last edited by jaxr0806; 04-24-2021 at 12:03 AM.

Leslie,

Thank you for sharing that beautiful ode to “old dogs”. It is all so very true and touching. And thank you for all the words of support. I finally dreamt of Jackson last night. In the dream he wasn’t old, frail and grumpy. He was spry and happy and we were walking at the church that is across the street from our house. I was hoping and praying he would come to me in a dream and I am so glad he did but it stirred up all sorts of emotions today. I know it’s a process and some days are easier than others. Thanks again. I’ll be out here, following along with all the Cush pups and their loving and devoted families.