Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 10 yr old yorkie has cushings

Default Re: My 10 yr old yorkie has cushings

Thank you I will buy some of those

Hi guys , just want to give yall a update on Pebbles . I had her eye test done today and she does have Sards . Still wanting on all the bloodwork to tell me if anything else is wrong with the precious baby . To know that she can't see if absolutely breaking my heart . But , we will tackle this head on and not let it get us down . Pebbles and I had a talk about it today . It is so strange how it can cause these weird symptoms . Thirst , overeating, pot-bellies . I will keep y'all posted on her bloodwork as soon as I hear from the vet . Thank y'all so much . Sandie & Pebbles

Well, at least now you know for sure what happened with her vision. The most important thing about Cushing's for now is to forget about it. Until Pebbles has had time to adjust to her new world the tests for Cushing's can easily be skewed returning false-positives simply because she is going to be a bit more stressed than normal. ANY stress, internal or external, can cause the cortisol to rise as a natural response. Also she will more than likely continue to show Cushing's signs for a little while yet due to the SARDS but with SARDS those signs typically disappear. So for now I would concentrate on helping her learn how to handle her new world; and teaching myself how to make it as easy for her as possible without handicapping her by pampering and coddling too much....that last part is the hardest!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

thank you Leslie , I'm just so confused . I feel like I'm going in a million different directions . I am babying her and need to stop . I feel like it's my fault that she has this . I know it sounds crazy ! Have you ever personal ally dealt with a baby with Sards ? I hope I can provide what she needs . 😰 She is my baby . Thank you so much for telling me to forget the cushings right now . I needed to hear that . ♥️ Sandie

I felt that way when my Sweet Bebe, Squirt, was diagnosed with Cushing's. I spent countless hours scouring the internet trying to determine what I had done wrong that made her sick. Medicine, food, treats, water, type of bowls she used, the places we had lived, the dirt she had walked on, the toys she had, on and on and on til I made myself sick. Truth is - we didn't do anything wrong. These things simply happen to some pups. Squirt got Cushing's and Pebbles got SARDS. What we have to do is keep reminding ourselves of that until we believe it....and you will believe it in time and with education on her condition. Learn all you can about SARDS. Read articles, studies, and papers from veterinary universities and from vets themselves, especially those who specialize in the eyes and diseases of the eyes. In no time, you will be a pro and feel much more confident both in your abilities to help Pebbles and in her prognosis.

No, all my blind babies lost their sight due to other conditions. My little male Chihuahua who operated primarily by touch lost his due to hydrocephalus. My blind Pom lost hers due to neglected glaucoma. My pug lost sight in her one eye due to an injury. My Dane was born both deaf and blind. I seem to be attracted to pups with special needs and can't help dragging them home with me! My big boy, Bud, is healthy and when he first came to me I was a bit nonplussed since I don't really know what to do with a health dog! LOL But he has brought much joy and comfort to my world so I am very glad he showed up.

Hang in there. I know for now you probably need to cry a bit, so do. It is a form of grief and something you need to express. Then dry your eyes when you are ready and start learning all you can to help your sweet girl. You can do this, I have full faith in you and so does Pebbles.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I feel sad for you. My husky has undergone also that situation and he is 6 years old. Did your vets give you some medicines? I think your little Yorkie might really have Cushing's. It is hard to see your pet going through such situation. It might be of her old age though. I hope she will be fine the soonest. Talk to her frequently it might help to ease her lonenliness and pain.