Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our boy has crossed The Bridge - A Question on Side Effects of New Medication

Default Re: A Question on Side Effects of New Medication

You guys are amazing! It is so wonderful holding them and cuddling isn't? It hurts that I can't do that anymore. I have two dogs, and one is 13 and one is 15. The 15 year old has as much energy as a puppy but she is quite senile lol. I will be devastated and in bed for months when I lose them. They have been by my side every day for over a decade.

I am happy to know your pups are doing well on Vetoryl.

Harley PoMMom, thank you for the link. We have the money to treat it, but saving money is always good. I decided to give him one (10mg) pill every other day, and he is handling that. I agree with slowly starting and the vet suggested that also.

I appreciate your help so much. I never thought there would be a forum for dogs with cushing's and such wonderful people. Thank you!

Edit- I need to call the vet again. He never emailed me the test results.
    Last edited by MarieA; 01-04-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Okay, he sent the results again. It looks like I didn't get them yesterday but he did email them.

Cortisol - Pre ACTH
    Cortisol - Post ACTH
    (Last Updated)
    RESULT REFERENCE VALUE
    5.6 μg/dL
    33.2 μg/dL
    a ACTH Reference Range:
    Canine: Feline
    2-6 0.5-5
    6-18 5-15
    18-22 15-19
    >22 >19
    <2 <0.5
    1-5 n/a
    1.5-6 1.5-6
    therapy
    a
    Pre-ACTH (resting) cortisol
    Post-ACTH cortisol
    Equivocal post-ACTH cortisol
    Post-ACTH cortisol consistent with
    hyperadrenocorticism
    Post-ACTH cortisol consistent with
    hypoadrenocorticism
    Desired pre- and post-ACTH cortisol on
    lysodren* therapy
    Desired pre-and post-ACTH cortisol on trilostane*
    ACTH response test is only clearly positive (>22) in 30% of
    dogs with hyperadrenocorticism (HAC); equivocally positive in
    another 30% of dogs with HAC, and normal in 40 % of dogs with HAC.*
    If the ACTH response test is normal and HAC is still suspected,
    proceed with a low-dose dexamethasone suppression test.
    Dogs with iatrogenic Cushing's disease will have flatline response
    test results in the low end or below the normal reference range.
    Both HAC and hypoadrenocorticism are rare diseases in cats.
    *Recommendations for target cortisol levels on trilostane (Vetoryl*) therapy
    vary. Per the manufacturer, pre- and post-ACTH cortisol levels of 6-9 ug/dL
    (testing performed 4 hours post-trilostane) may be sufficient for some
    animals if clinical signs are well controlled.

This might help you see the test better. Now I know he is 12 and not 13. I forgot

Last edited by MarieA; 01-04-2019 at 01:11 PM.

I was on the couch for weeks when my Lena died. I could only get up and go to work. As soon as I got home, back on the couch with my other three. Then 10 days after Lena died my husband brought home a 2 month old toy poodle. I was furious with him. I remember lying on the couch with two of the others and we just watched her keep herself occupied. I fed her and cleaned up after her, but it took a couple of weeks before I finally started to let her into my heart.

She just turned 3 in December and I love her to pieces! She's much more independent than Lee was. I don't know if she would've been this way anyway, or if it was because I just couldn't bond with her so soon after my precious had left me. Whatever...she knows I love her and I know she loves me. I tell her every day, many, many times.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieA View Post
    I decided to give him one (10mg) pill every other day, and he is handling that. I agree with slowly starting and the vet suggested that also.
    Every-other-day dosing is generally not a good option. Since the medication remains active in the body for no longer than 24 hours, skipping a day only sets up a roller-coaster of higher cortisol one day, lower cortisol the next.

This is especially troublesome in terms of trying to interpret the results of an ACTH stimulation test. If the test is performed on an "off" day, the results will be higher; if the test is done on a day with the med, the cortisol level might even be lower. If a once daily dose seems too high for your boy, usually the far better strategy is simply to lower the daily dose rather than space out the dosing over multiple days.

Keep us updated, please!

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Joan2517 View Post
    I was on the couch for weeks when my Lena died. I could only get up and go to work. As soon as I got home, back on the couch with my other three. Then 10 days after Lena died my husband brought home a 2 month old toy poodle. I was furious with him. I remember lying on the couch with two of the others and we just watched her keep herself occupied. I fed her and cleaned up after her, but it took a couple of weeks before I finally started to let her into my heart.

She just turned 3 in December and I love her to pieces! She's much more independent than Lee was. I don't know if she would've been this way anyway, or if it was because I just couldn't bond with her so soon after my precious had left me. Whatever...she knows I love her and I know she loves me. I tell her every day, many, many times.
    I bet that was tough at first. She is a blessing now though. She looks like my girl in the photo you have of her. She is a toy poodle also. They all have such different personalities, it is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Every-other-day dosing is generally not a good option. Since the medication remains active in the body for no longer than 24 hours, skipping a day only sets up a roller-coaster of higher cortisol one day, lower cortisol the next.

This is especially troublesome in terms of trying to interpret the results of an ACTH stimulation test. If the test is performed on an "off" day, the results will be higher; if the test is done on a day with the med, the cortisol level might even be lower. If a once daily dose seems too high for your boy, usually the far better strategy is simply to lower the daily dose rather than space out the dosing over multiple days.

Keep us updated, please!

Lori
    That makes sense! Thanks for telling me that. Okay one pill a day it is, and if it comes back, I will call the vet. Sigh. I was so happy to have him feeling well, but it sucks this is not working out so well.

If the diarrhea comes back, Vetoryl does come in 5 mg strength dosages so that is an option, and since, unfortunately, there is usually some tweaking involved in getting the dose that works those 5 mg would be handy to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    If the diarrhea comes back, Vetoryl does come in 5 mg strength dosages so that is an option, and since, unfortunately, there is usually some tweaking involved in getting the dose that works those 5 mg would be handy to have.
    Thank you So far so good on the 10 mg.

Hi Marie,

How are you both doing?