Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introduction- My new doggie has Cushing's :-(

Default Re: Re-testing my new pup for Cushings and correct dosage of Vetoryl

Could you post the results of all tests that were done on him? We need only see what is marked abnormal with the reference ranges and units of measurement.

If it seems that he is peeing a lot than you may want to take an urine sample into the vet and have it cultured to see if an UTI is brewing.

Lip smacking can be a symptom of nausea or tummy troubles, you could try slippery elm bark, I'd ask the vet about this.

Rocky sure is lucky to have you as his Mom!

Lori

Ok:

Test:Abaxos HMV Test
    WBC- 11.89, ranges 6- 17
    LYM- 1.51, ranges 1- 4.80
    MON- .34, ranges .20- 1.50
    NEU- 9.87, ranges 3- 12
    EOS- .12, ranges 0- .80
    BAS- .04, ranges 0- .40
    LY%- 12.7, ranges 0- 100%
    MO%- 2.9, ranges 0- 100%
    NE%- 83.1, ranges 0- 100%
    EO%- 1, ranges 0- 100%
    BA%- .4, ranges 0- 100%
    RBC- 5.62, ranges 5.0- 8.5
    HGB- 11.8- Flag: L ranges 12- 18 g/dL
    HCT- 36.75- Flag: L ranges 37- 55 h/dL

MCV: 65 ranges 60- 77
    MCH- 21, ranges 19.5- 24.5
    MCHC- 32.0 ranges 31.0-39.0
    RDWc- 16.2 ranges 14- 20
    PLT- 288 ranges 165-500
    PCT .27 Flag: H ranges 0.00- 0.00
    PDWc- 36.9 Flag: H ranges 0.00- 0.00

Cortisol Serial 2 ACTH 1
    Time 1 Pre
    Time 2 Post
    Cortisol sample 4.2, ranges 1.0- 5.0 mg/dL
    Cortisol Sample 20.2 Flag H ranges 8.0- 17.0 mg/dL

Cortisol (Urine) 1.4- does not give ranges.

I'm not sure what this next part is. Something about ANTREQ Antech Requuisition
    Complete Blood Count

WBC: 10.1 ranges 4- 15.5 10 to the 6/mL
    RBC: 5.4, ranges 4.8- 9.3 10 to the 6/mL
    HGB: 13, ranges 12.1- 20.3 g/dL
    HCT: 40, ranges 30- 60%
    MCV: 75 , ranges 58- 79
    MCH: 24.3, ranges 19- 28
    MCHC: 33, ranges 30- 38
    Platlet Count: 461 Flag: H, ranges 170- 400
    Platelet Estimate: Increased
    Neutrophils: 68, ranges 60- 77
    Bands: 0 ranges 1- 3
    Lymphocytes: 19, ranges 12- 30
    Monocytes: 7 ranges 3- 10
    Eosinophils: 6 ranges 2- 10
    Basophils: 0 ranges 0- 1
    Absolute Neutrophils: 6868, ranges 2060- 10600
    Absolute Lymphocyte: 1919, ranges 690- 4500
    Absolute Monocytes: 707, ranges 0- 840
    Absolute Eosinophils: 606, ranges 0- 1200
    Absolute Basophils 0 ranges 0- 150

Here's another test they did:
    Abaxos VetScan

T4: 1.4 ranges 1.1- 4.0
    CHOL: 220 ranges 120- 270
    Suffix: QC OK

Hyperadrenocorticism (HAC): Post ACTH results greater than 20 ug/dL (dog) and greater than 15 ug/dL (cat) are consistent with HAC
    Iatrogenic Hypoeradrenocorticism: Resting cortisol is usually between 1- 5 ug/dL with little to no increase in the post ACTH cortisol level

Hypoadrenocorticism (HOC) Resting cortisol is usually subnormal (less than 1 ug/dL) or low normal with no increase after ACTH

Post-Lysodren: Pre and post cortisol levels after Lysodren loading or while on maintenance Lysodren should be between 1- 5 ug/dL

Post Trilostane: Pre and post cortisol levels between 1.5- 9.1 ug/dL indicate optimal control

Pulse: 120.00, weight 12.07, age 6 years BCS 2.50/5.00

Objective section:
    Heart difficult to assess, lungs harsh, grade 4 dental disease, generalized alopecia with pendulous abdomen, thin skin, nails very long (I actually had them cut the day I got him).
    Diagnosis: Otitis Externa, Endocrine Disease
    Last edited by Squirt's Mom; 01-10-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: To highlight abnormal results

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Could you post the results of all tests that were done on him? We need only see what is marked abnormal with the reference ranges and units of measurement.

If it seems that he is peeing a lot than you may want to take an urine sample into the vet and have it cultured to see if an UTI is brewing.

Lip smacking can be a symptom of nausea or tummy troubles, you could try slippery elm bark, I'd ask the vet about this.

Rocky sure is lucky to have you as his Mom!

Lori
    I am waiting for his insurance period to elapse so he can go to the doctor. I don't know what he has, but since he isn't on any medication and seems fine, I got him the same insurance my current pup has. We have a 30 day wait period, and then 80% of his tests are covered under insurance, and anything that my vet diagnosis after will be covered under the insurance. Until that time, I'm keeping him as healthy as I can, and just making sure he has the best of everything. And I take notes of his general condition every day and make any observations so when I go in with him for his doctor's visit, then they have plenty to go with so they can do their own tests on him. I don't know if I should test the vet from the kill shelter, especially because the volunteer said he had heartworms at some point, but they tested him and said he didn't.... I don't know what to believe at this point. I get conflicting stories, so I would rather take him to my nice, modernized vet that has plenty of testing capabilities. And I'd prefer to do it when he's a lot less stressed, has a good diet going, and is in as optimal health as I can bring him in.

Usually a Chemistry panel is done along with the CBC (complete blood count). On the Chemistry panel some of the things tested are liver enzymes (ALT, ALP, GGT), breakdown products from the kidneys (creatinine, BUN), the glucose, cholesterol, electrolytes (potassium, sodium, calcium)...do you see any of these?

Default Re: Introduction- My new doggie has Cushing's :-(

Do you have any results that contain things like BUN, CHOL, ALP, GGT, T4, etc? We would really like to see those results as well. We ONLY need to see the abnormal results, the ones that are too high or too low.

btw I bolded the abnormal results on the tests you posted so they are easy to see.

Personally I don't consider the ACTH results valid since he was so stressed from the shelter and concurrent issues - (heartworms etc)

From what you told us I personally don't really see cush signs. A cush pup doesn't just have a big appetite and they don't just beg for table scrapes. They literally think they are STARVING all the time, even after eating a full meal. They will jump on the table and take your food, not beg for it. They counter-surf looking any crumbs that may be there. They will run other dogs off their food and steal it. They are in the trash hunting and often eating odd things they find outside. They are CONSTANTLY looking for food - 24/7 they are starving. You can't keep a water bowl filled up fast enough a cush pup drinks so much and they are always needing to pee, frequently having accidents. They do NOT like heat at all and will seek any cool spots. They will lay in front of fans or on vinyl/linoleum VS carpets. They would not want a sweater on any time and adore winter weather as they are finally able to cool off a bit. They pant all the time as if they had run for miles. This is how most untreated cush pups present. Rocky seems to be the opposite on most of these signs.

Alopecia is not always associated with Cushing's but can be a stand alone condition. The "harsh lungs" and grade 4 dental disease could also have an effect on the ACTH and those are some of the things I would be looking into before Cushing's - a good dental cleaning might make him feel better all around. So if I were you I would look for a UTI, get a dental done, and have his lungs further investigated. But that's me.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Usually a Chemistry panel is done along with the CBC (complete blood count). On the Chemistry panel some of the things tested are liver enzymes (ALT, ALP, GGT), breakdown products from the kidneys (creatinine, BUN), the glucose, cholesterol, electrolytes (potassium, sodium, calcium)...do you see any of these?
    No. I typed out everything that was printed in the paperwork sent. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    Do you have any results that contain things like BUN, CHOL, ALP, GGT, T4, etc? We would really like to see those results as well. We ONLY need to see the abnormal results, the ones that are too high or too low.

btw I bolded the abnormal results on the tests you posted so they are easy to see.

Personally I don't consider the ACTH results valid since he was so stressed from the shelter and concurrent issues - (heartworms etc)

From what you told us I personally don't really see cush signs. A cush pup doesn't just have a big appetite and they don't just beg for table scrapes. They literally think they are STARVING all the time, even after eating a full meal. They will jump on the table and take your food, not beg for it. They counter-surf looking any crumbs that may be there. They will run other dogs off their food and steal it. They are in the trash hunting and often eating odd things they find outside. They are CONSTANTLY looking for food - 24/7 they are starving. You can't keep a water bowl filled up fast enough a cush pup drinks so much and they are always needing to pee, frequently having accidents. They do NOT like heat at all and will seek any cool spots. They will lay in front of fans or on vinyl/linoleum VS carpets. They would not want a sweater on any time and adore winter weather as they are finally able to cool off a bit. They pant all the time as if they had run for miles. This is how most untreated cush pups present. Rocky seems to be the opposite on most of these signs.

Alopecia is not always associated with Cushing's but can be a stand alone condition. The "harsh lungs" and grade 4 dental disease could also have an effect on the ACTH and those are some of the things I would be looking into before Cushing's - a good dental cleaning might make him feel better all around. So if I were you I would look for a UTI, get a dental done, and have his lungs further investigated. But that's me.
    Wow. That would be a relief! I have been look and staring at this pup every day. He just hasn't been in any discomfort. Every time people see him, they comment on how happy he looks. My housekeepers come every week and comment on how healthy he looks and how much better he's getting to look. The only thing that really bothers me is the amount of urine that he pees and the fact that he has dental issues. He sleeps so well, and he is so playful and he is really gaining familiarity with me and my other dog and his surroundings. Sometimes, I just stare at him while he's sleeping and wonder if he is really as sick as they seemed to think.

What might "harsh lungs" be indicative of? He doesn't seem to breathe with difficulty at all. Sometimes (about once every few days), he gets what my other pup gets- a little reverse wheezing. But I have a solution for that problem that worked with pup 1- I firmly pinch his nose, which makes him immediately stop. He's had about 4 short wheezing episodes since I got him about 3 weeks ago.

I'll start with the UTI and focus on the dental issues in the meantime and report back!

Thanks, everyone!

Koffee

Ok, so after taking my pup in to the vet, they were able to tell me that he's about 9 years old, not 6. They took a urine sample, took blood, and did a fecal float and found everything to be in normal ranges. They found that he does have some dental issues, and they recommended a teeth cleaning/scaling, and there could be up to 6 teeth that need to be removed. And other than that, he's a normal, healthy dog after the vet did a complete physical for me to submit to insurance. I still think there's something wrong, but it may be a bit obscure for a regular physical. I'm going to be watching him carefully in the next month. He's going in for his teeth in February, so at that time, I will list off any symptoms I see and see if there are tests they can do. I can't tell you specifically, but something tells me there's something up with this dog.

I still love him to pieces, though!

Thanks, everyone!

Koffee

Oh what great news! You may well find after the dental that the teeth have been a large part of what you are seeing that is concerning you. One bad tooth can make us feel like crap, cause stress that has a physiological effect, and change our behavior so imagine what SIX bad teeth must feel like! Continue to be diligent but don't be surprised if you have a whole new pup once his mouth is taken care of.

Hugs
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    Oh what great news! You may well find after the dental that the teeth have been a large part of what you are seeing that is concerning you. One bad tooth can make us feel like crap, cause stress that has a physiological effect, and change our behavior so imagine what SIX bad teeth must feel like! Continue to be diligent but don't be surprised if you have a whole new pup once his mouth is taken care of.

Hugs
    Leslie
    UPDATE!!!!!!!

Hello everyone.

I wanted to stop in and update everyone aince they were so good to me whem I furst got my new (old) dog. I took him in for dental work, and his teeth were a hot mess. They extracted abiut 9 teeth that were either blackened, broken, or extreme decay. After the procedure, it was like I had a different dog. And within 3 months, all the bald patches he had when I got him was gone. His hair grew rrally long. I cut so much of his matted hair off that when it grew back in, it qas this beautiful, silky long coat that was so soft. Nothing at all like when he first arrived. His ears were really small, but it turns out, once his fur grew back, his ears are so furry and pointy! He looks lkke a baby with pigtails. It's so cute! He started jumping around when he would see me. The old boy has pep in his step! And most of all, he doesn't pee all over the pace anymore. Once I put him on a dtructured walk schedule, and he could see my other dog pees outside, and he hates the diapers, he fell right into line. I think he was not trained on how to pee outside. He has no issues whatsoever. He's just the sweetest dog who loves to stick close to me and hide in all my pillows at night and sleep underneath the pile. He's hilarious!

I also found that he's not deaf. They renamed him and didn't call him by his real name. As soon as I learned what his real name was and called him by it, he perked up and came over. He's gor norhing wrong with his hearing or eyesight!

I've had my sweet dog for one year, one month, and 2 weeks now. Thanks to you guys, I did the right thing and took him off his meds and gor him to the ver right away so we could determine he did not have Cushings at all. Im6still in touch with the kill shelter where I got him. I send pictures and updates to the volunteers. They can't believe he's the same sad dog that sat in those metal cages. He just looks nothing like the sad eyed, peeing, matted shell of a dog that they shipped to me almost 1 year and two months later. Yay!

So thanks to everyone who dtepped in and helped out. I wish all of you luck. Cushing's is a tough disease for any dog to have. I (and Prince, and Georgia) wish all of you well!

Koffee