Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corgi diagnosed today w Cushing's - Sadie has passed

Default Corgi diagnosed today w Cushing's - Sadie has passed

Hello all. First time here, referred from a Reddit post. My 12 yr old, 13 in Jan, Corgi was just diagnosed today w Cushing's. Our vet is recommending a liquid medicine for Sadie because it's the "cheapest" option and easier to change the dosage. Still reeling a little from the cost. $250 for a 2 month supply and $241 everytime she gets the blood work done. Thankfully I have the Care Credit card that I can use to help spread out the cost. Hopefully by Saturday morning I will have the meds to start her on. Hoping to see some improvement in her heavy pot belly and panting.
    Any recommendations on a dog food for dogs w this disease or not really an issue? She is on Rachael Ray Zero Grain chicken for the last 5 years. She doesn't have any of the skin issues. Mostly the pot belly, panting and lethargy. Pretty bummed, hoping we can afford to treat her til the end! Love that bratty fur baby! ❤

Default Re: Corgi diagnosed today w Cushing's

Hi and welcome to you and Sadie!

I've got only a moment to post but have a few questions. How much does Sadie weigh? What is the medicine that she was prescribed, maybe Trilostane? What is the dosage (mg per ml) and is she supposed to take this once or twice a day? Could you post all test results for us?

I'm sorry that this post is short and I'll try to get back later on. Please know we are here for you both and will help in any way we can.

Hugs, Lori

Please read this material: -Cost-Savings-for-Owners-of-Cushingoid-Dogs

I am hoping to get her meds on Tuesday morning now, they seem to have been delayed in shipping. She said she will have to have it twice a day but I am not sure of brand name or dosage yet. I hope it will start to make a difference. I worry about her labored breathing and panting. She had an episode this morning before I came home from work. She was coming up the ramp we made for them off the porch. Emily said she got halfway up and then she got a faraway look in her eyes and her back end gave out on her. I dont know if it was too much of a strain to come up the ramp or what? I am not going to use that yard anymore, she can go out front w just one step down. I worry I waited too long to get her diagnosed and that the medication won't help. Really worried about my good girl!

Hello and welcome. It would help if you posted answers to Lori's questions. You should be able to get the dosage amount from your vet, even before the meds get there, which you can post here. It would be difficult to answer your questions without answers to Lori's.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hi and welcome to you and Sadie!

Until we see test results from the LDDS and/or ACTH (and hopefully an abdominal ultrasound) used to diagnose Sadie's Cushing's plus have the info on the medicine prescribed along with the dose we really can't tell you anything specific to Sadie's Cushing's case. Monday if you can get those test results to share here, tell us the mg per ml in the liquid med prescribed and which drug, Vetoryl (Trilostane) or Lysodren (Mitotane) then post all the info here we will be able to offer more meaningful feedback. Today tho can you tell us how much she weighs?

However I can talk with you about diet today. For a cush pup the critical factor is the fat content. Our cush babies are prone to pancreatitis and fats can bring that condition to the forefront so it is important to keep our cush babies on a LOW fat diet. Moderate proteins are next unless she is a working or agility dog. Beyond that - whatever works best for her is the best diet for her. Other than the fats, diet has no impact on Cushing's, does not have any bearing on the cortisol or hormones running rampant in their little bodies so don't fall for anything that tells you she MUST eat raw, grain free, __________. Not true; ONLY low fat content matters.

The incident on the ramp is not unexpected in an untreated cush pup. The cortisol causes the muscles in the hind quarters to weaken so they lose the ability to jump and move like they used to. Torn tendons like the ACL are also common so I would keep her from doing anything too strenuous until the cortisol is back to a more normal level. With treatment they typically regain that muscle mass in time. Their livers are typically enlarged as they are working much harder than normal with untreated Cushing's as well and that causes the diaphragm to be squashed making it harder for them to breath - hence the panting. This, too, will improve with treatment and usually pretty quickly. Because their livers are working so hard we avoid anti-inflammatories because those drugs are particularly hard on the liver. Talk to your vet about something easy on the liver if Sadie needs some assistance in this area but the cortisol is a natural anti-inflammatory and we don't usually see inflammatory conditions like arthritis, allergies, etc. until AFTER the cortisol has been brought back to a more normal level...then those things may make an appearance.

Are seeing any hair loss/failure to regrow hair, loss of house training, excess urination, excess drinking, HUGE appetite? The drinking, peeing, and eating are hallmark signs of Cushing's and if you are not seeing these I am concerned about the diagnosis. If you are seeing more drinking and peeing do NOT restrict the water. Our cush babies don't pee so much because they are drinking so much. It is just the opposite - they must drink excessively to keep hydrated because they are peeing excessively due to the effect of the disease on the kidneys. They WILL pee a lot regardless of how much water they get so we must keep water available at all time or they will quickly become dehydrated which is dangerous.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to seeing those test results plus other info as soon as you have them to share. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Ok, finally got Sadie's medicine from the vet. They are going to email her test results hopefully today, if not, I will call and remind them tomorrow. Right now I am kind of worried about her because she can't stop panting long enough to drink. So then she is drinking, panting, coughing, choking. Afraid she's going to choke or end up w fluid in her lungs. Ughhhhh...
    Ok, here is any info I have so far. Sadie is 38 lbs, almost 13 yr old corgi. Vet prescribed her Trilostane 40 mg/ml, .5 ml 2xday, liquid. She said it was adrenal not pituitary. I gave Sadie her 1st dose of medicine this morning. Should I always give it with food? And when she goes back Jan 3rd for her next blood test, should I feed her that morning, her appt is at 8:30am. And I dont give her the Trilostane that morning right? Aagghh! A lot to remember right now.
    Thank you everyone!! Its still a lot for me to wrap my head around. Will post test results as soon as I get that email.
    Almost forgot. No hair or skin issues that I have found. Appetite has gone down, water consumption up just a little. Pants pretty much non stop unless sleeping. Pot belly. Gets worn out super easy, just from walking.
    Last edited by Alsarve; 12-11-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Forgot some information

Leslie, you said you are concerned about the diagnosis if Dadie doesn't have the huge appetite, increased drinking/peeing. I honestly dont see that. She will only eat for me now, not my mom or anyone else. Normally she gulps down her food as soon as she gets it. But shouldn't the results she got from the 8 hr blood testing show Cushing's? I know you guys need those numbers, haven't got anything yet. I'm sorry for the questions without the test results. Thank you!

Got the results in an email but am too computer dumb to figure out how to post it on here. Could I forward it to someone? Have to get some sleep tho. 2 PM and I am a night shifter that's been up since 9pm yesterday. Thanks again everyone! Amanda & Sadie

Hello from me, too! Thanks so much for updating us with this additional info. As far as test results, probably the best thing for you to do (after you’ve gotten some sleep ;-) is just to type the significant results into a reply here. In terms of regular bloodwork, you only need to type in values that are either abnormally high or low (usually marked with an H or an L), followed by the normal reference range for that value. I’m assuming Sadie also had one or more specialized blood tests for Cushing’s — either an ACTH stimulation test, or a Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression Test (LDDS). Both of these tests will report the results in terms of cortisol levels. The ACTH will have two different cortisol readings taken one hour apart, The LDDS will have three cortisol readings: a baseline reading, then one taken four hours later, and the third taken eight hours later. So if you can give us that information, that will be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsarve View Post
    Ok, here is any info I have so far. Sadie is 38 lbs, almost 13 yr old corgi. Vet prescribed her Trilostane 40 mg/ml, .5 ml 2xday, liquid. She said it was adrenal not pituitary. I gave Sadie her 1st dose of medicine this morning. Should I always give it with food? And when she goes back Jan 3rd for her next blood test, should I feed her that morning, her appt is at 8:30am. And I dont give her the Trilostane that morning right? Aagghh! A lot to remember right now.
    Based on what you’ve told us, Sadie will be getting 20 mg. of trilostane twice daily, for a total of 40 mg. This is an appropriate starting dose for a dog weighing 38 pounds, so that is good. In answer to your question about food, yes, trilostane should always be given along with a meal in order to be absorbed properly.

In terms of her monitoring test in January, it’ll be very important to find out what type of test will be given. Traditionally, the trilostane monitoring test has been an ACTH stimulation test performed 4-6 hours after the dog is given her morning dose of trilostane along with breakfast, just like every other morning. A newly introduced monitoring method is to test the resting cortisol level right before the morning dose of trilostane is given. Since Sadie’s test is scheduled for 8:30 a.m., I’m wondering whether your vet is planning to test using this newer method. As I say, you’ll want to clarify which testing method is being used before the day arrives for the test itself, because the feeding and dosing schedules are very different.

One other question: usually a vet can’t know for certain that a dog is suffering from an adrenal vs. pituitary tumor unless an abdominal ultrasound has been performed to actually view the adrenal glands, or some additional specialized diagnostic bloodwork is done. Do you know the basis by which your vet has diagnosed an adrenal tumor for Sadie? Trilostane can be used to treat either form of Cushing’s, but there can be some issues that are different if an adrenal tumor is definitely known to be present.

OK, I think I’ve rattled on long enough for now! In closing, though, I’ll give you a link that will explain trilostane treatment and monitoring protocols in greater detail. I think this info will be a help to you.

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...l-(trilostane)

Marianne

It's best to type in the results. From the test that shows things like ALP (or ALKP), BUN, CHOL, etc we only need to see those values that are too high or too low. Enter the little letters that follow along with the normal range so it looks something like this -

ALP 1600 ug/dl 150-300
    BUN 12 mnol/L 9-13

For the ACTH we will need to see all the numbers given. There will be either 2 or 3 depending on if you are in the US or not. There will be a pre and post number and maybe a middle one.

For the LDDS we will also need to see all the numbers given - there will be 3 of those.

For the ultrasound, any comments other than "unremarkable" or "normal" we will want to know all of those comments on each organ mentioned. It may say something about the kidney wall being thickened for example.

The appetite falling off is a bit concerning to me but we have seen cush babies who don't show the ravenous appetite that is normal for a cush pup tho is it unusual. Since you have been told it is adrenal and not pituitary there is another consideration - a type of adrenal tumor called a pheochromocytoma which is not a cortisol producing tumor but can cause some of the same signs seen in Cushing's and can cause false-positives on the cush testing. But seeing the lab result will help us. The appetite change is what made me think of a pheo. Here is some info on the pheo just in case -

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newslett.../Spring/CP.htm

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions...eochromocytoma

http://vetnetinfo.com/tudasbazis/fil...ytoma-2006.pdf

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.