Thread: New here: 10 y/o Abby just diagnosed, also Hypothyroid....overwhelmed and unsure. Wou

Unhappy New here: 10 y/o Abby just diagnosed, also Hypothyroid....overwhelmed and unsure. Wou

My sweet girl, Abby has been hypothyroid for about 1- 1/2 to 2 years. Late summer she began to pant and drink lots of water and then began to have accidents in house/leaking. Took her to vet and she also had a UTI. I mentioned Cushings and they agreed and she was tested, everything came back very obviously Cushings (don't remember values). Started Vectoryl 80 mg (she weighs 90 lbs) and after about a week she was having trouble getting up, shivering off and on and not eating much. No vomiting or diahreeha so vet said let's continue until 3 week recheck on labs. Had that Friday and thyroid level was high, so lowered that dose and waiting for cortisol stuff to come back on a Monday. She is still having trouble with mobility, shivering, appetite is a little better but she has started whining some at night. Vet said canine dementia but I wonder if all this is related to increase in thyroid levels. I'm so sad and confused about what is going on with her. Why is her thyroid level up...has to be related to the Cushings medicine....i think doctor is wrong about arthritis and dementia..she was just fine before we started Vectoryl (other then Cushings symtpmoms. Any thoughts or advice?

Default Re: New here: 10 y/o Abby just diagnosed, also Hypothyroid....overwhelmed and unsure.

Hi There My first concern is that your dogs cortisol has dropped too low. Typically we have seen that larger dogs are in fact more sensitive to Vetoryl and University of Davis actually recommend starting at approx 1/2 mg per pound in dogs over 40 pounds. So that would be my first concern here. Has she had her 10 day ACTH stim test? That would be the first thing I would do at this stage so I would know exactly where the cortisol level is sitting. Can you get a copy of the results and post (the post number is what you will need). Was an electrolyte test done? If it was me I would stop the Vetoryl for now and see if she starts to improve. Typically the signs of too high a dose are loss of appetite, lethargy, shaking etc.

Default Re: New here: 10 y/o Abby just diagnosed, also Hypothyroid....overwhelmed and unsure.

I’m so glad that Laura was able to respond to you overnight, and I agree with her 100%. My first concern, too, would be that Abby’s cortisol is being lowered too severely by her current dose of Vetoryl. In re-reading your note, it sounds as though you will be receiving cortisol test results today? If so, please do post them here. And as Laura advises, I’d give no more Vetoryl at all until those results have been assessed.

As far as the thyroid issues, low thyroid readings can actually be a “secondary” result of the high circulating cortisol associated with untreated Cushing’s. If the Cushing’s is causing the low thyroid readings, the thyroid readings themselves may normalize, all on their own, once the cortisol becomes controlled. I’d be surprised to see such a rapid effect from a short course of Vetoryl, but perhaps Abby’s thyroid level has indeed risen as a result of the decrease in cortisol. If so, it may turn out that she’ll be able to dispense with the thyroid supplementation altogether. Time will tell with that.

Anyway, I join Laura in welcoming you, and please let us know if you find out any more information today.
    Marianne

Was her thyroid level checked before the Cushing's diagnosis and the start of the Vetoryl? If not, than it could very well be that it's not Cushing's and she was Hyperthyroidic which would cause increased drinking/urinating and the panting.

Welcome to you and Abby!!!

Lori