Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adrenal Tumor with huge vena cava invasion!!

Default Re: Adrenal Tumor with huge vena cava invasion!!

I just read through Simba's thread. I'm so glad to read that he's still a happy boy! I love his face, such a handsome guy!

Nancy

Hi all,

Back again. Well we had an emergency situation last night he almost choked to death on a tiny treat. I performed the Heimlich maneuver on him and stuck my and down his throat. We think he had a seizure during this event since he collapsed and fell over - stiffened but I picked his 85 lb butt up and was not going to let him go out like that! I was literally performing CPR on him till i could pick him up. I just cannot tell you the super human strength it took to get him into a car but i think we do things out of the ordinary for who we love. Found out he had "lar-par" or laryngeal paralysis. Do any of you know if this is associated with anything going on with his adrenal Tumor or exacerbation of it? or have any of you experienced this with your fur babies along with symptoms of cushings? i was so worried and still am about adding any more meds to his regemin that will increase his blood pressure or add undue stress to him. He is currently asleep on his king size bed but I am watching him like a hawk. MD suggested chlortrameton and if he starts coughing robitussin dm which he hasnt been. Maybe only sneezing which i chalked up to bad pollen - live in Georgia and right now it is horrible. Hope all of your fur babies are doing ok & thank for any experience you've had with this

Ah thank you! he is a love bug for sure!

How scary! I'm so glad you were there and able to help him til you could get him to his vet!

LP is apparently associated with Cushing's and other endocrine conditions but I don't know that dogs with adrenal based are more prone than those with pituitary based Cushing's. We have had several dogs here with that condition. You can use the "search" feature in the upper RH corner of the page and search for laryngeal paralysis; it should bring up threads where this condition was at least mentioned. Here are some good links on the condition for you to read as well:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...alysis-in-dogs

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/laryngeal-paralysis

http://www.acvim.org/Portals/0/PDF/A...0Paralysis.pdf

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/de...239&id=4952489
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Wow!

This is really scary stuff. I have noticed a real change in Annie's bark lately, and so has Jerry. She's not coughing or anything like that, but my first question was, "does Lysodren produce a hoarse, raspy voice/bark?" Fortunately, she has swallowed her pill inside a small ball of food, so I haven't had to force anything down her throat. Now I'm beginning to wonder is "Knowledge really Power?" or perhaps paranoia and also if "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Blessings, Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 03-25-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: additions

Huh...Lena's bark changed and she did have a choking episode once. She was eating a piece of apple and the next thing I saw, she was lying on her side, peeing and unresponsive. I picked her up and draped her over my arm and opened her mouth and removed the slice. I thought I was going to have a stroke right there! I put her down and she walked away like nothing had happened.

I wonder is she had LP....
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

This has me in “twitcher” mode so I called doc’s office and made an appointment for Annie on Friday. He has the equipment so he can do an endoscopy of her trachea and laryngeal process if necessary. I wouldn’t be so concerned because of her dental last week, but we noticed this maybe even before she started on the Lysodren. Many thanks to whoever posted the vet-info links; read them all. I will attribute this to a ‘senior moment’.

On a more positive note, she made it through her groom and looks great. Her coat is still nice and thick and shiny. No scaling on her back. I really need to learn how to get an album going for her. She has natural schnauzer ears, but right after a groom, they tend to stick straight up like a donkey. Either that, or one ear flops kind of down and the other is up. It just makes me smile. As her coat grows out, her ears get heavy fast and drop into position. Many thoughts, smiles and Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen
    Last edited by Katy1; 03-26-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Edit

OMG Joan, I would have had a heart attack on the spot. We see doc tomorrow, but now I’m wondering if this maybe a “dry mouth” thing going on because, as I understand-or mis-understand, Cushings seems to be also a chronic inflammatory process. Hence. also the dry nose. Blessings. Karen

T

I almost did, trust me....but I just attributed to her extreme hunger. I thought she grabbed it and swallowed before chewing. She did used to sweep in and grab whatever fell on the floor before we even knew it had landed. I did used to call her my little Miss Piggy. It only happened that one time, but I was also always careful after that with the pieces of anything I gave her.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

We had that laryngeal paralysis once with our molly. We were on a walk, she had a collar on and we'd stopped and talking to some friends, molly was waiting but she would pull sometimes, like let get going and then she just fell over. Nothing in her mouth but she went limp completely. I picked her up and ran home with her, we were only a couple houses away at that point. She was breathing but totally out of it, not responsive, peeing herself. We called emergency, jumped in the car and went. By the time we arrived she was just fine and acted like nothing happened. The vet theorized that perhpas she has placed pressure on a nerve that runs down the side of the neck and can cause the paralysis. Just a theory as they couldn't find anything wrong. I switched her to a harness and it never happened again that god, but I would have just had a heart attack if I'd had to do cpr too.
    The was before the cushing diagnosis I think. It's hard to remember sometimes what happened when but think this was prior.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)