Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breathing difficulties

Default Breathing difficulties

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a 14-year-old rescue dog who was diagnosed with Cushing's about 13 months ago. He's a large mixed breed dog.

He started vetoryl in July Â’17, gradually increased dose, now on 100mg daily, weight is 35kg. Coat has improved (except tail) but still very hungry and very thirsty. He is also restless. Alkaline phosphatase reading is around 1500, this has come down a little since last year.

My question is regarding his respiratory rate. It is consistently high, often around 60, even at rest, and he pants a lot, again, even at rest. The panting is raspy and sometimes he wheezes. I keep him cool at all times. I understand there are several reasons for panting and breathing difficulties in CushingÂ’s dogs - enlarged liver, which he has, deterioration of laryngeal muscles (and possibly chest muscles), possible calcifications in lungs etc.

Does anyone have experience of this and, if so, are there any ways to keep your dog more comfortable? My vet did prescribe tramadol - I have only given him this a couple of times, it helps a little with the restlessness but, of course, doesnÂ’t help his breathing.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Default Re: Breathing difficulties

Hi and welcome to you and your sweet boy! I've only a moment to post but do have a couple questions. Could you post his ACTH stimulation monitoring test results? What symptom did your boy display that led to test him for Cushing's in the first place? Is he getting the Vetoryl with a meal?

I have seen respiratory issues brought up by other members and I do believe that it is listed as a side effect of Vetoryl.

Please know we will help in any way we can, and we are here for you both.

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Hi and welcome to you and your sweet boy! I've only a moment to post but do have a couple questions. Could you post his ACTH stimulation monitoring test results? What symptom did your boy display that led to test him for Cushing's in the first place? Is he getting the Vetoryl with a meal?

I have seen respiratory issues brought up by other members and I do believe that it is listed as a side effect of Vetoryl.

Please know we will help in any way we can, and we are here for you both.

Lori
    Hello,

He had two ACTH tests.

June ’17 Post 0.25mg synacthen - 469
    Sept ’17 Post 0.25mg synacthen – 505

Both of these were inconclusive (<600) but he was displaying more signs of Cushing’s by August/September ’17. And his ALP had been elevated from the outset.
    The first symptom I noticed was an elevated respiratory rate (May ’17) and his breathing has been a constant issue since then. He didn’t start the vetoryl until Sept ’17 so it would appear to be unrelated. He has the vetoryl with his meals (2 x daily).

Good to know you are there!

Welcome to you and your sweet baby boy!

Does anyone in the home smoke around your dog? I ask because I used to smoke and one of my dogs ended up with COPD as a result. I had been concerned about the smoke and asked several vets about it - they all told me it was very unlikey to cause them any problems because of their superb filtering system in the nose (with the exception of smush faced dogs like Pugs, Pekinese, etc.). I no longer believe that - smoking DOES harm our companion pets that are exposed. I would want a chest xray to see if there is any fluid in the lungs or around the heart and/or lungs and I would want that asap. Pneumonia is another consideration. Panting IS a sign of Cushing's but it could also mean other things completely unrelated to Cushing's and that is where I would start looking - outside Cushing's.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the post and your thoughts.

Absolutely no smoke in my home. I am extremely careful about all possible irritations - I use a fragrance free natural laundry liquid, never use any scented products or sprays and my boy even has an AirFree air purifier and filter by his bed.

He has had a chest X-ray, a bronchoscopy with lavage and a CT. This has shown that he has a few small areas of consolidation in his lungs as well as an interstitial pattern. He has been under the care of another veterinary team (who did the more in-depth investigations) and they, and my own vet, think that the former would not affect his breathing significantly. However, the diagnosis was a chronic lower airway condition for which there is no specific treatment. It seems likely that this would be adding to the breathing issues. It’s frustrating not being able to do anything about it – my vet tried various antibiotics in the first instance but they had no effect.

Obviously the combination of Cushing’s and the lower airway condition means that his breathing is compromised but he is doing amazingly well as he was diagnosed with Cushing’s almost a year ago.

For Harley PoMMom/Lori,

I should clarify that the ACTH results I posted were nmol/L.

These convert to µg/dL as follows:

469 nmol/L = 16.99 µg/dL
    505 nmol/L = 18.30 µg/dL

Thank you so much for converting those ACTH test results, and I gather they were for diagnostic purposes, correct? Have there been any monitoring ACTH stimulation tests performed, and if so, could you post those?

The most common symptoms of Cushing's in a dog are increased drinking/urination, ravenous appetite, intolerance to exercise, seeking cool places, reluctance to jump up on furniture or go up steps, hair and skin thinning, and pot-bellied appearance. Did your boy have any of those symptoms? Cush dogs normally have elevations in the ALP, and other chemistry anomalies usually seen are increases in the cholesterol, glucose, and triglycerides. Were/are any of those levels high with your boy? Were any abnormal values found in his CBC blood work?

Lori

Hi Lori,

No additional ACTH tests, he has been having regular blood tests.

He didn’t present with the classic symptoms early on but, as time has progressed, all of these behaviours and signs have become apparent. I should say that his coat has improved dramatically since starting the vetoryl, only his tail still looks a little ragged!

My vet indicated that the only findings that were elevated were his ALP and ALT (the latter to a lesser extent). I don’t have the print out for the other values but I will try and get this information from the vet.

I’ll be back in touch.

To confirm, yes, those two ACTH results were for diagnostic purposes.

I have had a look at the last couple of blood tests – his glucose is slightly elevated, just outside the normal range in June and back within range, albeit at the higher end, in July. There doesn’t appear to have been a cholesterol test so I will check with my vet on our next visit.

All other biochemistry and haematology results were within the normal range.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I am really concerned about his cortisol levels, the vet should of performed at least 3 monitoring ACTH stimulation tests since the start of Vetoryl in July 2017. The monitoring ACTH stimulation tests are done to check the cortisol to make sure that it hasn't dropped too low. If this were me, getting his cortisol levels checked would be my first priority because if cortisol is too low, known as Addison's, this can be life threatening. Some common symptoms of Addsion's are: increased respiratory rate, panting, loss of appetite, lethargy, pale and/or tacky gums, diarrhea. Is your boy drinking and urinating normally?

Lori